Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Dunkirk

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
TankBuster

Dunkirk

Post by TankBuster » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:08 pm

Just wondered if anyone else has seen the new film Dunkirk?

After all the hype I'd been itching to see it, so off I went to see it at the cinema tonight. Have to say that I was a little disappointed with it, it was allrightish, but the film did seem quite jumbled, and there were some finer details that hadn't been done as well as they could have.

The 1940's soldiers looked a bit out of place sitting in railway carriages that were clearly fitted out with 1970's/80's interiors.

And Tom Hardy, well he certainly deserves the DFC for gliding his out of fuel Spitfire for an unbelievable and unrealistic distance up and down a beach while engaging in aerial combat at the same time... He then lands his Spitfire on the beach, and sets fire to it, but hang on a minute, the propeller on the burning plane is now attached to a long pole... So where's that monstrous V12 Rolls Royce Merln suddenly disappeared to? Had the German's nicked it, or did the special effects guys just create a not so special effect? Hmmmm

Still, the popcorn was nice :pop:

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Blue Diamond

Re: Dunkirk

Post by Blue Diamond » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:45 pm

I thought the film was excellent. Well filmed and directed. Happy to make allowance for the BR Mk.1 coach interior and the fact that it wasn't a real Spitfire that was set on fire. Some very powerful and moving scenes made even more so by the fact I was watching a true story and not a work of fiction.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:26 am

I was disappointed too. They had a chance to tell an accurate story but a lot of it was given too much artistic licence, like the aforementioned Spitfire engine out sequence. Taken as a drama it's fine but as historical record I'd say it's missed it's mark.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:38 am

Haven't seen it, but did read a review done over in the USA calling for people to boycott the film as there are no "actors of colour" in any of the lead roles :lol:

The director should've cast Denzil Washington as Colonel Winnant :whistle: seriously these movie critics need to brush up on their history before coming out with such remarks

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:07 am

Whilst it is correct that there were no people of colour in senior roles at Dunkirk, there were Indian troops there with their mule trains as part of the B.E.F. and some were evacuated from the beaches, many more were captured by the Germans. In the French army at Dunkirk there were many hundreds of men of African origin, again some were rescued from the beaches and taken to England to fight again, many more were captured and/or killed.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:48 pm

I found it o.k.ish, but not a great film. I didn't notice them, but there were television aerials visible on some French houses. The Spitfire glide and forced landing, and fire were completely crass. I am surprised nobody told Mr. Logan that a, a Spitfire could not possibly glide that distance from so little height, and b, ALL powered aeroplanes have an engine, for heavens sake. My neighbour, who knows next to nothing about flying picked up on both points, so were the directors/producers asleep????. Weird. :S

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

I have yet to go see it... But I will leave tonight on the following gentlemans view

http://faithtap.com/8222/brave-dunkirk- ... hing-film/

Night folks

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:57 am

I'd been waiting for what seemed like an eternity to watch the movie after seeing the first trailer. I was so excited to see it. The thought of watching spitfires and me109 (simulated by buchon) dogfighting in IMAX was just epic, but my god.....what an absolutely rubbish movie. Disappointed does not cover my feeling for Dunkirk.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:19 am

Perhaps a little harsh Mr. H. We are looking at it from an an aircraft enthusiast point of view, whereas the general public are looking at it as another war film. I have non-aviation friends who thought it very good. IMOH not rubbish, but could have been more accurate, but the public may be happy with it.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Not seen it yet but watched the 1958(Ealing Studio's) version that was on ITV4 the other day(Staring Richard Attenborough,John Mills & Bernard Lee). Which I thoroughly enjoyed.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:13 pm

Looks like there were more mistakes than the few which I spotted. Poor show really for a big budget blockbuster movie :@ .

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film12004/chronological

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

TankBuster wrote:Looks like there were more mistakes than the few which I spotted. Poor show really for a big budget blockbuster movie :@ .

http://www.moviemistakes.com/film12004/chronological

TankBuster
There's a bit of anorak in all of us isn't there? Some of these really are clangers and tend to point to a squeezed post production budget (editing and sound mixing & dubbing), usually caused by overspending on the actual shoot. When I worked at ITV we used to read the duty logs sometimes in an idle moment, it really is amazing what upsets people. One I remember in particular was a viewer getting incadescent with rage becasue in a 1920's crime drama someone was using a lawnmower that wasn't made until the 1950's.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

Some mistakes stand out more than others, of course. I remember laughing out loud towards the end of that very good film 'Ice cold in Alex' when a Morris Minor, and a Landrover, appeared in an outside shot. Both post-war of course. :) I fell in love/lust with actress Sylvia Syms that day as well. :D

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

I'm convinced some folk go to see these films intent on finding fault instead of enjoying them for what they are, entertainment, if you want a documentary look elsewhere..just saying :whistle:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:23 am

Pune, I'm sure your right, but, despite my comments, I am not one of them. It is just that in some films, certain glaring mistakes stand out like a sore thumb, and are worthy of comment. My Senior Management, however, notices EVERYTHING!! :roll: :roll:

Pune

Post by Pune » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:05 am

jem60 wrote:Pune, I'm sure your right, but, despite my comments, I am not one of them. It is just that in some films, certain glaring mistakes stand out like a sore thumb, and are worthy of comment. My Senior Management, however, notices EVERYTHING!! :roll: :roll:
I know exactly what you mean jem60 :thumb:
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Grahame W

Post by Grahame W » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:03 pm

Have just returned from seeing "Dunkirk" (on an Imax screen, which I would definitely recommend). I cannot believe some of negative comments above. Wrong interiors in the rail carriages? ... oh, come ON! If you go to a historical drama looking for inaccuracies, you will surely find them. We can all do a bit of nit-picking (for example, Tom Hardy's Spitfire seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of ammunition!). But the point is, it's a drama, not a documentary: one man's impression of an enormous event. As such, I think it succeeds brilliantly. So let's put away our anoraks and just enjoy an excellent piece of film-making. BTW, for a fair and well-balanced review, I recommend the article by Matthew Willis in the current issue of "Aeroplane".
Grahame W

TF104G

Post by TF104G » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm

I went open minded and looking forward to seeing the film.

I hadn't seen or read anyones comments until just but having worked in aviation for nearly 40 years and having an interest in trains - I've got to say 'TankBuster' summed the film up perfectly.

It was alright ish and entertaining but I returned home disappointed.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:56 pm

How they did it. Stay with it, long intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yivl41NgXs

Grumman Tomcat

Post by Grumman Tomcat » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:16 am

I did see it. I enjoyed the film.

Return to “General Chat”