Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Floatplanes and a bear.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
iainpeden

Floatplanes and a bear.

Post by iainpeden » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:34 pm

I have just realised these don't quite fit any of the sections but here goes - some holiday snaps from this year. But the Beavers are pretty old!

The first 3 were taken in Vancouver harbour, the rest at Ketchikan in Alaska. That's my first use of Flickr so back to learning how to use it and hopefully being able to do multiple pictures in one go.

ImageAlaska 2017 006 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 009 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 012 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 362 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 367 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 370 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 452 a by Iain Peden, on Flickr

ImageAlaska 2017 478 by Iain Peden, on Flickr

jem60

Re: Floatplanes and a bear.

Post by jem60 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:31 am

Hi, Iain. Nice pictures. By coincidence, Terri and I are going to Alaska May 2nd. next year. Were you cruising like we will be? Will be with Holland/America. Did you do excursions etc.? Not necessarily aircraft, but what to see etc., Feel free to PM me. Doing 3 days in Vancouver, then on the ship. Regards, John.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:29 am

Hi John - good to talk again. I'll do a bit of a travel-log for anybody else going.
We stayed opposite the BC Stadium in Vancouver and did a lot of walking. The Vancouver pictures were taken from the conference centre near Canada Place which is also the cruise ship terminal. Stanley Park is worth visiting and walking to see the trees,the totem poles and the general scenery. We walked there from the centre via the water front walk around the harbour. if we went again we would hire bikes. We also did the Capilano suspesion bridge - real Indian Jones stuff. There are free shuttle buses from Canada Place which will drop you off at Stanley park on the return trip. Grouse Mountain is meant to give great views.

We stopped in Sitka - you don't need to do any trips - just get a shuttle bus into town and wander around. Heavy Russian influence, do the National Park visitor centre.
Juneau - we did a whale watching boat trip and saw Bald Eagles, sea lions and 6 humpback whales - all very close. Apparently the boats are meant to stay 300 feet away from the whales - but nobody told the whales. Do the trip which includes lunch at Orca Point - lovely setting and great food and beer. Also got the chance to spend an hour at the Mendenhall Glacier - if you have an hour do the viewpoint and the visitor centre - if you have 2 hours do the waterfall walk

Ketchikan - we did the float plane trip out to Neets Bay to see the bears - wonderful experience. About 20 minutes each way in a cessna Caravan and we had blue sky and sea. Neets Bay is a salmon hatchery and you get close - 10 metres! - to the bears. That said you might be a bit before the salmon run which is what attract the bears.

I took my 120-400 lens but only used it on the cruise up to get whales and dolphins in the distance - all the pictures here were taken with my 28-200 Tamron

Takes clothes for all weathers - the locals were amazed at the great sunshine we had.

Feel free to PM me for further info - if you PM your e-mail I'll send a few more pictures of Vancouver etc to give you a taste.
All the best
Iain

opsjockey

Post by opsjockey » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:09 am

Shouldnt these be on the Fighter Control sister site - Civilian Aviation?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:28 am

Why? The Beavers that are identifiable all have previous military IDs. OK the Cessna 208 doesn't and I don't know about the bear :P

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:43 am

opsjockey wrote:Shouldnt these be on the Fighter Control sister site - Civilian Aviation?
Probably.

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am

If that is the case then I will just post my snaps of the same planes taken elsewhere in the area on my Flickr account.
Isn't this section for General Chat?
Anyway, how do we know that it isn't a Russian Bear?
Life is too short to be that pedantic in my opinion

Imagine a flight of five aircraft, lead by a turboprop float plane, two radial engined beavers in a vic either side about twenty feet away, followed by two twin engined seaplanes some two hundred feet behind and fifty feet higher.
They passed over about thirty or forty foot off the ground during a dedication ceremony. Most impressive.
All civilian aircraft, sorry.
:)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

baz1

Post by baz1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:02 am

opsjockey wrote:Shouldnt these be on the Fighter Control sister site - Civilian Aviation?
here we go again with the peter perfects, rather see something than nothing no matter were its posted.
Comfortably Numb

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:33 am

They could have just been posted in General Photography section? Float planes etc are as much of peoples "holiday" snaps as anything else,god I have plenty myself from my visit to Vancouver and Alaska and I hate Civvies :D

No more bear pictures or other wildlife?
Got a similar shot to your Beavers head on except mine was with the Turbo Otters

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Hi Iain :P

I don't care where you have posted them: just glad you did :thumbs:

That Bear :Wow:

Thanks for sharing ;)

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm

Life's too short for petty squables!. Nice to see a change from the endless [and occasionally boring] shots of the the same grey aeroplanes!!. Anyway, looking forward to my Cruise there on May 2nd. Will see the same aircraft no doubt, but I leave photography to my Senior Management. Cheers Iain. Regards, John. :)

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:06 am

C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Growing old disgracefully

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Thanks guys. Sobering reading. Should be safe with Holland/America. Used them before. :)

Return to “General Chat”