Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scampton Air Show

Posts relating to information and discussion on the Scampton Airshow
peasus911

Re: Scampton Air Show

Post by peasus911 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:20 pm

andrewn wrote:I'm caught between the two points of view here. On the one hand I want the show to be a success, and I bought my ticket yonks ago and therefore will be going come what may. On the other it does seem a very poor (half hearted) attempt at an airshow by RAFCTE/DBH, which on the face of it appears poor value for money.

But then I think of the numerous £30/40/50's I've handed out to see a paltry collection of not always very interesting planes lined up on the ground, and sometimes in the cold and dark. And that makes £39 for an airshow, flying and static with (apparently) ~100 aircraft in total, seem not to bad really.

To be honest, for me, the weather will make or break it - so here's hoping for some Sun :)
Probably agree with you actually. A show has to start from somewhere, this is obviously the start. If we don't back the show we will loose it. lets see what happens this and next year.
My only grumble is that some of the most outspoken criticism from people on forums about the quality of airshow participation normally comes from people who watch the show from the outside and have no intention of paying to see the show. I have purchased my ticket months ago and have since upgraded to the garden area. Yes, I do feel the show lacks something and the ticket price is a little steep but I will be there for the whole day looking at static aircraft, a 5 hour air display, taking in the history of the "Dambusters Home" and talking to the people who protect us 365 days of the year. If the show opens its gates at 8am and closes at 6pm, then £4 per hour to me seems a good return in my book. These are purely my own thoughts as others have aired theirs already. I am looking forward to spending the weekend at Scampton and I will also have my fingers crossed for blue skies and sunshine. :)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:53 pm

andrewn wrote: flying and static with (apparently) ~100 aircraft in total, seem not to bad really.
They better get their skates on then as I count only 41 a/c and that's including all ten Red Arrows and Spitfires times four.

Surely the way forward for this show is to make a statement in it's first year, "hey Europe look at us and what we can do", the excuses that it's a new show aren't valid as the organisers are well seasoned in what they do. By the looks of it they don't want anything to steal the show from RIAT, and the organisers are in a position that they may feel is a burden, it's certainly a conflict of interest.

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:04 am

"By the looks of it they don't want anything to steal the show from RIAT, and the organisers are in a position that they may feel is a burden, it's certainly a conflict of interest."

That's a good point Thunder but I wonder what the percentage of the crowd from RIAT would be seasoned show goers as opposed to families on a day out etc. The position of Scampton to Fairford should be used to capture two sets of show goers. That's what the organisers should be doing.
You might be right Thunder....

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 pm

Without doubt the majority of people that go to shows are not enthusiasts, but again how many families are going to go to two shows in the same year. With Scampton being at the tail end of the summer season, families and schools are no longer on holiday so the likelihood of long treks from far off corners of the country to Lincolnshire are not likely to be on most families to do list.

If Scampton managed to say get a couple of Indian MiG 25's and a couple of Mexican F-5's(wishful thinking) that would cause tidal waves of excitement within the enthusiast community, add in a very clever press release it then causes ripples of excitement outwith the community as non enthusiasts then think 'what are these bunch of anoraks getting excited about' , I 'd better go and have a nosey. Good example is how many people where interested in Paris St Germain three weeks ago, compared to now.

Another thing Scampton home of the Red Arrows, so whereabouts are the PdF, Team Frecce, Team Aguila, Saudi Hawks, Turkish Stars, Pat Swiss and so on. Do the Reds not make contacts in any of the countries that they display in? This show is going to have to rely on enthusiasts in order to get started, sadly they aren't doing a very good job.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Patrouille De France, Frecce Tricolori & Saudi Hawks are at Sanicole.

TornadoVictor

Post by TornadoVictor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:03 pm

Photographed all of the surviving Mexican AF F5's at Santa Lucia in April 2017 & they are all grounded - so unlikely to attend!

TornadoVictor

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:12 pm

MRTT wrote:Patrouille De France, Frecce Tricolori & Saudi Hawks are at Sanicole.

All flying on the Sunday only, would it be too much trouble for all/some of the teams to take off from KB on Saturday morning, fly to Waddington refuel, then display at Scampton before heading back to KB in the afternoon, something also for the spotters at KB to see during the Saturday Spotters day. Then again have they been asked?

Wasn't this one of the problems with Leuchars, in it was competing with Sanicole for participants, they should've learnt from that and held Scampton in August.

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:39 pm

Now here's a thing: I've just being talking to a friend (Months ago we both bought a pair of Saturday passes for the Lincolnshire Garden enclosure). He said it's just as well we did, because it's sold out now. You're kidding me? Well I checked and for Saturday, both the Flightline Garden and the Lincolnshire Garden enclosures are sold out as well as the Flightline Grandstand. :Wow: :O
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:10 pm

How many tickets were issued for each enclosure, and how many went on general sale?

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:28 pm

I think next year's show will be the real test for the organisers. Enclosures may well have sold out this year, but if the show doesn't live up to the expectations of those who attend, how many will return next year?

Steve

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:50 am

Thunder wrote:
MRTT wrote:Patrouille De France, Frecce Tricolori & Saudi Hawks are at Sanicole.

All flying on the Sunday only, would it be too much trouble for all/some of the teams to take off from KB on Saturday morning, fly to Waddington refuel, then display at Scampton before heading back to KB in the afternoon, something also for the spotters at KB to see during the Saturday Spotters day. Then again have they been asked?

Wasn't this one of the problems with Leuchars, in it was competing with Sanicole for participants, they should've learnt from that and held Scampton in August.
Almost every display item at Sanicole has to perform a "mandatory rehearsal" before any public display as required by Belgian air display regulations.

Therefore the Saturday is a fairly busy for Sanicole participants that are only appearing on the Sunday. Those at the KB spottersday will see plenty of movements throughout the day with aircraft going to rehearse at Sanicole as well as movements of the RAF aircraft and Belgian F-16 demo to Scampton.

Flightline UK

Post by Flightline UK » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:54 pm

The Scampton orgainsers have lured the Bronco Demo Team away from Sanicole! http://broncodemoteam.com/index.php?page=events

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 am

Rather large update today, only thing of note is RN Merlin and GAF Eurofighter on static. Full list at link.

http://scamptonairshow.com/airshow/airc ... d-aircraft

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:45 am

Merlin + Eurofighter + much spam.
Anyone think there will be much more added before the show? It's rather thin imho. Here's hoping!

PR9

Post by PR9 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:03 pm

Look at all those Chippies! :thumb:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:19 pm

Looks like they've approached everyone in Lincolnshire and surrounding areas that owns a light a/c, just to try and get near the 100 a/c mark. Scraping the barrel or what.

Really sad to see this unfold as I used to travel from the North of Scotland for Waddington, you wouldn't catch me travelling from Market Rasen for this drivel .

PC4

Post by PC4 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:00 am

A new large UK airshow with participation from Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Holland and Norway, I would not call that anywhere near drivel.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:04 am

Norway? Can't see anything even remotely Norwegian listed on the website.

sft

Post by sft » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:07 am

Norwegian historical Flight Vampires x2

The Cat

Post by The Cat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:42 am

With most of the
BBMF now grounded due to engine problems will there be ANY aircraft
there ? ? ?

Return to “Scampton”