Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Fire Lane Invaders

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
jwramsay

Fire Lane Invaders

Post by jwramsay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:35 pm

What is it with folks at RIAT?

As soon as some of the "big ticket" displays started the orks decended on the designated "Fire Lane" to get that shot.

https://youtu.be/odS4TOP9GFE
Scottish Aviation Photographers (SAP) - Facebook

bizfreeq

Re: Fire Lane Invaders

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Just comes up with 'video not available'
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

jwramsay

Post by jwramsay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:59 pm

bizfreeq wrote:Just comes up with 'video not available'
https://youtu.be/odS4TOP9GFE

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 pm

Same thing!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

jwramsay

Post by jwramsay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:02 pm

bizfreeq wrote:Same thing!
Your video can't be played on some devices. This can include mobile phones, video game consoles or set-top boxes.

jwramsay

Post by jwramsay » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:03 pm

jwramsay wrote:
bizfreeq wrote:Same thing!
Your video can't be played on some devices. This can include mobile phones, video game consoles or set-top boxes.
All thanks to them playing copyrighted music over the Tannoy ..sorry!

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:17 am

I can see the video perfectly okay.
It is for sure that photographers (and it's not just one or two) will always take advantage and swarm into places they're not supposed to, whether it's a fire lane or disabled area, etc. The only way to stop it is to have a member of RIAT staff permanently at any location that can be abused in this way.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

The Phantom wrote:I can see the video perfectly okay.
It is for sure that photographers (and it's not just one or two) will always take advantage and swarm into places they're not supposed to, whether it's a fire lane or disabled area, etc. The only way to stop it is to have a member of RIAT staff permanently at any location that can be abused in this way.
Saw a fire officer come down a few times and tell the cadets to stop people entering the area. Unfortunately, as soon as the fire officer left, the people came back in and the cadets just ignored them. Not that I blame them, as it must be quite intimidating for a 14/15 year old to confront a load of middle aged men. They really need to either have it fenced off better (metal fencing perhaps) or have a permanent member of adult staff manning each one

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:57 pm

Indeed it is quite daunting not just for cadets but also for the accompanying staff! Trying to keep crowds behind the Mildenhall Air Fete post and rope line was a nightmare. It seems that any barrier is a challenge to be taken up and crossed regardless of any authority or control put in place to try and maintain it.

turmo

Post by turmo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:35 am

To be fair to the Cadets, the instructions re: fire lanes changed several times over the weekend. At one point it was agreed that people could stand in them to take photos but not sit-down or plave personal items on the grass.

There's little enough space for non-enclosure tickets to watch the action from a reasonable position, little wonder that they decide to invade the fire lanes for a couple of sneaky shots. I don't think it's about challenging authority as much as trying to get something for their money.

Can't think of any other airshows that have fire lanes through the crowd, anyway. That's what perimeter crash-gates are for.

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:01 pm

First-off, I'm not related to Fireman Sam so I haven't got insider knowledge!
I suspect the "Fire Lane" is a requirement of the extended H&S process which dictates that having assessed every possibility...you then make due allowance for anything else!
It's highly unlikely that these lanes are for airside access, more likely the other way round. I'll give you two alternate scenarios, amongst hundreds!
1) A large fire incident in the the public area for which the 'domestic' fire appliances aren't appropriate & possibly spreading to static aircraft, could require an airfield appliance from the liveside to get quick access?
2) A heart-attack victim on the conjested fence-line is most quickly accessed by a landside ambulance via the fire-lane & along the airside of the rope. Seconds matter!.. plus the loss of a few Air Cadet toes is more palatable than rolling over the dozens of people that pay high prices to both access the show to get paralytic, then sunbathe under cloud?
Anyway you look at it, people will always infill any vacant area without a permanent exclusion enforced by uniformed personnel. That's why I put razor-wire round my chair & wear my Totenkopf uniform. ;)

Richard E

Post by Richard E » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:27 pm

turmo wrote:To be fair to the Cadets, the instructions re: fire lanes changed several times over the weekend. At one point it was agreed that people could stand in them to take photos but not sit-down or plave personal items on the grass.
That was my experience on Saturday as well: the Sector Marshals seemed to be happy to let people stand by the barrier but they were actively asking anyone who put up chairs to move them to the side of the fire lane as soon as they saw them.

Return to “RIAT”