Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RIAT Patches

Do you collect patches or challenge coins, bought an interesting t-shirt from a base, some rare airshow programmes or even parts from military aircraft? This is the forum section for you!
Herkdriver

Re: RIAT Patches

Post by Herkdriver » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:49 pm

It was a great RIAT this year and it was an even better RIAT for patches this year. I went on the Friday and the Saturday and this is what I picked up during those two days. The prices were okay for the most part with the normal exception of Lakenheath but even they were outdone by the 96th BS with 25£ for PVC and 20£ for cloth.

Todd
Last edited by Herkdriver on Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:12 pm

My selection! Managed to pick up a few more than usual.
Last edited by MRTT on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:14 pm

Nice haul everybody, a few of questions

ashamim when or where did the Pakistani's sell? :lol:

Also Ollie when did LTG-61 sell? Walked pasted at least twice on Saturday and Sunday and barely saw any aircrew, did they have much? I wanted the disbandment stuff :(

Did anyone see 40 Sqn BAF selling? Speaking to their PRO / CRO in the lead up to the show, she said they would have a stall :lol:
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 pm

LTG-61 had their stall set up inside mate, had a couple of patches and posters for offer. Were also asking for a donation in exchange for a glass of Bavarian lager.

ashamim

Post by ashamim » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm

Gary wrote:Nice haul everybody, a few of questions

ashamim when or where did the Pakistani's sell? :lol:
They weren't!!. Some serious blagging got me those. Still not happy as I missed one! :grr:
Gary wrote:when did LTG-61 sell? Walked pasted at least twice on Saturday and Sunday and barely saw any aircrew, did they have much? I wanted the disbandment stuff :(
They only brought the patches they had last year at 2016. The disbandment stuff sold out at there own show in Germany.

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Asif is right. The Pakistani's were not selling. Only a few collectors got any of them. And as for the Germans I went in and asked them about the disbandment patch and they said they sold all of them at their German Armed Forces Day a few weeks before. Not great planning on their part but what can you do. I didn't see any 40 Sqn patches or stall anywhere. And the biggest question is why was there no Thunderbirds merchandise at all? They have stands like the Red Arrows do and they would have made a killing at RIAT. Anybody know why there were no Thunderbird stands?

Gingercake

Post by Gingercake » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 pm

My mate picked up a Thunderbirds patch from one of the guys just walking around. He was in the right place at the right time! Saw a mob of RAF cadets around one of their guys and managed to get a PVC patch for £10.

Scroll down on this page and you will see - http://www.sfspatches.com/index.html

Annoying they weren't selling them properly.

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:20 pm

Yes many collectors were looking for the thunderbird pvc patch. And just tonight I saw on facebook where a guy said they were selling on Sunday over the fence to the park and view guys out of a plastic bag and that they had so many left that the price was 7£!!!!!! Many collectors are very angry about this including me. There was no thunderbird stall anywhere in the show which was really strange as they have stalls just like the red arrows at US shows. I mean it was the USAF 70th and they would have made a mess load of money and made thousands of collectors, kids, and other airshow attendees even happier. This combined with the midnight hawks handing out free patches but only in the FRIAT tent was extremely disappointing.

Todd

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Todd

How much did you pay for the Osprey patch if you dont mind me asking ? Couldn't make it today due to last min change in shift pattern but the Osprey crew are selling them at Marham families day for £10

SamP
Administrator

Post by SamP » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm sure they were asking for atleast £15 if not £20 when I went past on Saturday...They really like playing games.

Some of the 493rd patches & coins changed price atleast twice during Saturday, walking past once with some things at £20 and coming back later seeing the same stuff down at £10 or £15.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:16 pm

That's what I thought Sam, pretty sure it was £20 for the Osprey patch on Saturday. By Sunday afternoon 493 patches were down to £10 although the selection left were limited

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:45 pm

The Osprey Tail patch was 20£ the first time I walked by on Friday and Saturday morning. Then it was 20£ but you also got a free T-Shirt. That's what suckered me in! But its a great patch and the T-shirt is great as well. But again like you said the prices seem to change by the time of day and which day. It's always been the case that on Sunday prices drop a bit so they don't have to carry home much but as you say the stock is very depleted by Sunday or in some cases even by Saturday morning! I did see on FB that one guy said the B52 patches were 10£ and 15£ for cloth and pvc respectively. I asked when was that as they were 20£ and 25£ when I walked past at 1000 on Friday and he said it was the first hour or so of the show and they were selling too many so they upped the price. A real shame in my opinion.

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:26 am

And it would seem that photobucket is not the way to go now for posting pics. Much like others have experienced my pics are now not showing. I will repost once I open a Flickr account.

Todd

Skymaster

Post by Skymaster » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:09 pm

Herkdriver wrote:And it would seem that photobucket is not the way to go now for posting pics. Much like others have experienced my pics are now not showing. I will repost once I open a Flickr account.

Todd
If you edit the file name by adding~original, it should still display the jpg here.

eg .....IMG_0005.jpg.~original

Herkdriver

Post by Herkdriver » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks I will give that a try.

Todd

phantommadman

Post by phantommadman » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:12 pm

Herkdriver wrote:Yes many collectors were looking for the thunderbird pvc patch. And just tonight I saw on facebook where a guy said they were selling on Sunday over the fence to the park and view guys out of a plastic bag and that they had so many left that the price was 7£!!!!!! Many collectors are very angry about this including me. There was no thunderbird stall anywhere in the show which was really strange as they have stalls just like the red arrows at US shows. I mean it was the USAF 70th and they would have made a mess load of money and made thousands of collectors, kids, and other airshow attendees even happier. This combined with the midnight hawks handing out free patches but only in the FRIAT tent was extremely disappointing.

Todd

My friend and I bumped into I believe the commentator for the Midnight Hawks walking around the static,and we enquired if they had any patches for sale,he said no, we don't have any for sale but we are giving them away instead and proceeded to hand us a couple of patches :Wow: :Wow: now that is cracking good public relations!!!
As for the US stalls,I was stunned and annoyed to find them selling for 20 quid,unfortunately I succumbed to the 52s,but it's beyond a joke.They should take a leaf out of the Czechs and Slovaks book,2 decent patches and a t-shirt for 20 quid :clap:
Pessimists are never disappointed

Return to “Military Aviation Memorabilia”