Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
Blackcat1

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2017 Discussion Thread

Post by Blackcat1 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:26 pm

Yep campsites get better views of the displays I'm told and it does look obvious. Watching Thursdays Flanker practice I think he thought the crowd line was Totterdown !! ;-)
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

turmo

Post by turmo » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:58 pm

My first time attending as FRIAT but next time I'll probably limit to pay as you go Spotter Days I.e. not the weekend.

Once you've seen the rehearsals the only advantage of the weekend is the full static. Everything else is louder, busier and generally less enjoyable, personally.

A pity they don't do 'Mach 0.5’ packages just covering the enthusiast days.

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 pm

I attended Saturday and didn't let a little rain dampen my enjoyment of the day. I know some of the flying was cancelled, but the ones I really wanted to see (Italian Tornado, Su-27, Mirage 2000Ds, and Rafale) all got off the ground :clap:
The static was generally well laid out, though they could have moved the barriers a little further back from the nose of the U-2. Non aircraft wise the Japanese drummers were brilliant, and well worth the best part of an hour I spent watching them at lunch time.
Leaving the green car park at the end was very smooth. I left just after the Apache demo and was back in my mum's house in Gloucester before 18:00

sabrejet

Post by sabrejet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:33 am

EGVP wrote:Really struggled to enjoy RIAT today. The aircraft present were amazing, a really brilliant effort by the team produced some quite rare aircraft, including some first timers.

The static layout seemed great for photography, friendly crews, great flying displays, but it all seemed a bit....dull. Almost as if the fun of the event was gone.

I don't know if it was the fact is done my usual buildup "arrivals" list, so knew exactly what was there; down to the last airframe, or the fact the flying display seemed to be north of the secondary crowds assembled in the various camp sites, or just that after two stunning trips in to Europe for both operational and airshow flying, British shows are just a bit lacklustre?

Now, I'm quite sure I'm the only one who thinks this. I spent the entire two(!!) hour drive from Fairford to Heathrow this evening thinking about it.

I think this may be my last RIAT as a paying visiting. Maybe I'll try a secondary crowd location next time..?

:( :unsure:
I've been attending IAT/RIAT since 1976 (did miss a couple in the late '80s/early '90s) and have to say that I thought this year's was the best in a long time.

However I would say that the way to enjoy it is to do arrivals days (rehearsals often closer to crowd line and the interesting static is not static) and then go on Friday when there are fewer people about. OK you don't get the whole static or air display deal, but then you've seen most of it arrive anyway. Yes there are no more F-104, Lightning, SR-71, Tu-95 or Vulcan displays of long ago but instead we have a number of other notable machines to take their place.

Luckily I think the B-52 will be available for RIAT long after I'm not.

And OK Friday next year may be different, but we'll see how that goes. I hope to be there :thumb:

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:02 am

Cornish-guy wrote:
Blackcat1 wrote:Great help lol thanks. But great I got the times for the F4s, Tornado and Mirages! Yay :-)

Yep - there really helpful on here sometimes ;)
Guess some folk can afford to spend evey last moment here including paying to go into the shows.

Obviously some better off than us mate.

C.
Says the man who is writing posts at 4.40am lol.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:44 am

Anyone able to confirm what's not departing today?

grogresaurus77

Post by grogresaurus77 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:38 pm

Where do we find out which aircraft won awards?

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:54 pm

MRTT wrote:Anyone able to confirm what's not departing today?
B1 and B52 are tomorrow Ollie
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:00 pm

nescafe37 wrote:
Cornish-guy wrote:
Blackcat1 wrote:Great help lol thanks. But great I got the times for the F4s, Tornado and Mirages! Yay :-)

Yep - there really helpful on here sometimes ;)
Guess some folk can afford to spend evey last moment here including paying to go into the shows.

Obviously some better off than us mate.

C.
Says the man who is writing posts at 4.40am lol.

And..........? :huh:

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:31 pm

My thoughts on RIAT 2017.

Did some different things this year.

Went on arrivals day (Thursday), P&V East. Great location, great arrivals and rehearsals.

Went again on Saturday (not done a weekend for a looong time, but have done a couple of Fridays). Weather was awful!, but really enjoyed the statics, and most of the displays.

I tried to get excited by the Thunderbirds but having seen their rehearsal on Thursday, I went looking for some paint to watch dry....

Reds? What can I say! Flat display but SUPERB!

Easy in and out by bus, trained to Swindon. Only problem was that bus on way in seemed to get lost!!!

Went on Monday as well, went to P&V West for a change. Really good day, got some cracking pics! Got a bit hot though, left about 14:15 when it was starting to wind down a bit.

Big thank you to all the volunteers (particularly Clive, Andy and Miles - thanks for the Breitling coffee!)

See you next year!

Mick
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Len Dutton

Post by Len Dutton » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi all

Firstly, two requests. The USAF C-17 parked at the 27 end of the runway on the northside and a USAF bizjet that landed approx 0900-0930, both Sunday?

I enjoyed my visit to RIAT this year, plenty to see. For me the B-52, B-1 and my first view of a U-2 made the show for me. I enjoy the larger airtcraft. :)

I only caught the second half of the flying display because I was wandering around the static. Highlights for me was the Raptor and my first viewing of the B-2 Spirit :clap:

As for the Thunderbirds I was slightly underwhelmed. I thought they were neat and tidy but the display left me thinking 'is that it'.

I was disappointed that there were no airside/display aircraft on the west end of the green zone like last year. I fully understand that the static was larger than in previous years so more room was required.

On a personal note, I would have have none of the Piper's, Cessna's, Extra,s, Bronco & Skyvan. Moved the selection of RNethAF F-16's, Gripen, Belgian F-16's etc to where the Bronco/Skyvan etc were then put the Transall/Pak C-130 further down creating space for the French AF Mirage/Rafale, Solo Turk and other display aircraft.

I'm sure someone will come along and tell me why this can't be done. :P

An excellent day all round, the weather played ball until an hour before the end.

2019 my next RIAT.

Len

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:24 pm

07-7172 for the C-17.

red leader

Post by red leader » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I did deoartures today. It was great weather. A shame not like this at weekend.
I left around 3pm after c17 had taken off. A hercules went over me as I drive out. Anyone know which one it was? It was just after the usaf c17.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:28 pm

The Qatari one
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Richard E

Post by Richard E » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Len Dutton wrote:
Firstly, two requests. The USAF C-17 parked at the 27 end of the runway on the northside and a USAF bizjet that landed approx 0900-0930, both Sunday?
The bizjet was a Gulfstream C-37A 01-0028/10028

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:42 pm

My Little Take on a Great RIAT.......

I was able to go this year after a 15 year gap (due to family etc) with some great company, we used the Official campsite at Townsend Farm, the traffic in was fine with no que's what so ever, we got onto the field just after seeing the Tonka come over us at Fairford village, the site was great with lots of space and people parking with lots of room between each car.
The weather was abit iffy at first with that horrible light drizzle - we all thought the show might have been called off, first sighting on the camp was the Bel AF Cab, that came over to the North side and seemed to be doing an audible display without us seeing him further.

We got set up - with a tent against the car(ready for the weather what ever it might be) :cool:

I decided a good idea would be to take a walk down Whelford Rd to the 27 Runway end, this took about 20mins and when there it was like a street carnival (what an amazing atmosphere) people set up with chairs and tables whole families out enjoying a day, I didn't stay long as my main purpose was to see what I could see and photograph for later logging purposes, after about 15 minutes I returned back to the camp.

The weather started to improve about lunchtime (the rain stopped) and the display items started, Townsend is situated in a good location as many of the display items would route either close around the camp or even come right over the top, photography was great due to visual space to track what was being shot, my 300mm was sometimes too long for the team displays but great for the single items.

No particular favorite for me - they where all Great as it was my first airshow shooting with a diital camera :O

My thanks go to the company I was with and the person who took me in the first place :clap: :thumb:

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

canberra sauce

Post by canberra sauce » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Well for what it's worth I had a really good day! I went on Sunday this year and by the sound of things I lucked out with the flying! I've been Saturday for the last 3 years and wasn't going to go this year but I got bought a ticket and I'm so glad I did! I really wanted to see the su27 but with a 2hour drive back home to Essex I decided to leave at 4 so didn't actually get to see it go up but to be honest from what I've seen on you tube the display looked like lots of turning in circles which with a small turning circle is very impressive but didn't look like it showed the airframes true capability but that's just my opinion! The last few years have been a bit disappointing with several typhoons several f16's and the like but this year I think the variety was superb! The raptor was one of the highlights for me as well as the B2 all be it short and sweet but to be fair they got her over from America for a short fly past so fair play to the Americans! Even the contribution by the kc 135, C130, F16's and F15's was a pleasant surprise even though everyone would have wanted to see a full display from an eagle but let's be honest when was the last time that happened at a UK airshow?? It's not an airfete by any means but the days of that kind of show have long gone and we won't see it again!
A step in the right direction for me with the usaf but a one off I fear being their anniversary!
Now I'm not a spotter I enjoy aircraft a few trips to LN now and again just to sit there and smell the jet fuel and hear the noise so even at full price the what turned out to be a 4 hour drive (or not drive) back home to Essex I thought it was worth it!
I would have been a bit disappointed if I had gone on the Saturday so a touch of luck but overall had a great day!
Interested to see what will be on next years programme!

red leader

Post by red leader » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for that help with the hercules bizfreeq.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm

My Take on Sunday

Parking & Entry Spot on
Entry & Exit via red route - Spot on took me about an hour from Newbury in the morning (via Wantage) & about an hour & a half back so no issues
Food Prices - Jeez eye watering almost on a par with the British Grand Prix
Flying Display - Good variety but lots of the manoeuvring was so far away, I know the Regs are tighter since Shoreham but it almost makes it worth not paying to go in to watch the flying
Static's great variety - although I din;t do much of it as it was chucking it down when I chose to go & look

Will I go next year - undecided may do arrivals & departures & maybe a campsite for the display days

Dan214sqn

Post by Dan214sqn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:41 am

4 days Fri to Mon - Best show I've been too....period. EPIC weekend which had it all

Return to “RIAT”