Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Turk F16 sonic boom?

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
effects

Turk F16 sonic boom?

Post by effects » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:31 pm

So -from those that were there, was it?

rva65

Re: Turk F16 sonic boom?

Post by rva65 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:57 pm

Probably not Ive not seen anything about it, I imagine there would have been quite a fuss by now if it had crept over the wall! I wasn't there by the way!

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:26 am

I'm no great expert, but there certainly wasn't a sonic boom. It seemed imminent at one point though towards the end of its fast pass. There was a kind of shock wave forming around the intake and there was a kind of crackling and popping. I guess it was just very close to breaking the sound barrier.

morticiaskeeper

Post by morticiaskeeper » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:58 am

It wasn't a sonic boom, but very close. The sound was definitely struggling to keep up with the aircraft. Almost silent as it approached, then a single bang a fraction after it passed.

Same as the Rafale a couple of years ago.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:02 am

Thunderbolt II wrote:I'm no great expert, but there certainly wasn't a sonic boom. It seemed imminent at one point though towards the end of its fast pass. There was a kind of shock wave forming around the intake and there was a kind of crackling and popping. I guess it was just very close to breaking the sound barrier.
Yeah i heard one of the thunderbirds popping and cracking when it went over the top of us whilst pulling back on the stick. I can only imagine that this is because some of the air is accelerating over portions of the air frame?

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:21 am

He was so close. I had ear defenders on, but the sound was weird. There was a hint of a condensation cloud forming too!
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:11 pm

You can be close to M1, and some of the airflow around certain parts of the air-frame will be supersonic. The Rafale was a case in point.
Inlets, wing upper surfaces and some areas around the canopy all break M1 before the whole aircraft. Wing upper surfaces especially.

turmo

Post by turmo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 am

I was at P&V East for that pass and no there was no boom / bang but he was indeed very fast and it was a humid day.

Unfortunately there are so many videos on YouTube that conflate 'loud engine noise' with sonic bang. A bang is like an artillery gun firing, short and sharp and makes you jump, not wince.

I was rather disappointed with both Solo Turk rehearsals, unlike the Belgian he doesn't keep it in front of the crowd and disappears off to the sides frequently. Much like Couteau Delta, they could be flying Mirage IIIs for all you know as most of the time they are just small triangles in the distance...

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:21 am

I was also there and saw the display. As said by the previous poster, there was no loud bang, etc; but there was a strange audible sound (that i can't describe, other than being a bit of a thump) as the a/c went past - which is the sort of noise i've heard in the past with very fast moving jets at airshows. But what that is/was i wouldn't know.

Return to “RIAT”