Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Yeovilton 2017 Potentially good show ruined.

Post information relating to Yeovilton airshow here.
FC Rob

Yeovilton 2017 Potentially good show ruined.

Post by FC Rob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:41 pm

I say potentially is I left before 14.00. The reason for my early departure can be seen below from my entry in the comments section of the Air Day Survey which probably won't be passed on due to its bad PR content.

"Having gone into the airshow first thing at 9.00 and walked around the static and as usual not found a suitable place from which to photograph the flying due to private chalets and other obstructions I returned to the Harrier carpark just after 13.00 for a relaxed afternoon next to my car as in previous years.

Whilst standing beside my car watching and attempting to photograph from INSIDE this location (NOT the restricted footpaths or closed roads of which I am aware and approve) a member of your Private Security Staff ran up to me and tried to grab my camera, he then shouted at me that there was no photography allowed here and that I must leave. I politely tried to get an explanation of this restriction as I had seen no previous mention of this rule (and still haven't). After offering no explanation and just repeating the 'no photographs' phrase, his final remark was "F**k off back inside or leave".

I would at least like an explanation of the hidden rules and some form of apology due to the anxiety and stress caused by one of your highly aggressive/abusive team members. Several other groups of photographers were in there and left unhindered so I guess I was an easy target due to being on my own.

For follow-up my e-mail is ...."

Since sending this survey earlier on today I have heard from a few friends that they have suffered a similar experience at the east carpark though without the physical or verbal abuse luckily for them.

So for me that is another show gone west after visiting all of them from 1978 starting off with my late ex Navy Father up to now.
Rob

tim_raper

Re: Yeovilton 2017 Potentially good show ruined.

Post by tim_raper » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm

What a horrible experience, do post the reponse if they are bold enough to reply to your complaint.

FC Rob

Post by FC Rob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:37 pm

tim_raper wrote:What a horrible experience, do post the reponse if they are bold enough to reply to your complaint.
Yes Tim it was very unsettling. Will post their excuse IF I get an answer.

Cessna954

Post by Cessna954 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:37 pm

Rob,

there's certainly no excuse for such behaviour regardless of what they were trying to achieve.

On entry to Vixen car park there were two large signs explaining that upon entry you were required to vacate your vehicle and the field. There was further text but i didn't read it as the premise of the message didn't affect me as i had the intention to spend the full day in the show. I'm guessing for what ever reason they're the rules of entry.

Regards

Cessna

FC Rob

Post by FC Rob » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Had I seen this sign, which I guess I either must have missed having shot through the entrance at 08.00 sharp with no cueing or I need a specsavers visit, I would have followed this vacate rule and thus avoided aggrivating Security.
But as you say that still doesn't excuse his behaviour, I actually asked him where this rule was as its not on the ticket but all I received was abuse.

Another friend who did ask, was told he could stay to Photograph the show by one Guard then later told to leave by another so even Security were unsure of this rule.

AndyB

Post by AndyB » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:53 pm

These signs were also at the entrance to Hurricane car park. However, if my memory recalls correctly, they were only A4 sized with black wording on white background.

ChrisJ

Post by ChrisJ » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm

I stopped going to YV show just for these sort of reasons . I started going on the Friday but the rules for entry were changed so that we were treated like the great unwanted by the RN/FAA . I tried staying outside of the base but that has been made difficult by the small minded jobs worth of RN/FAA who first shut local roads to traffic then the following year stopped pedestrians as well . Only reason is for us to part with cash . Too many enclosures/ tents on flight line restricts public/payer's viewing so that the Almighty Officers and the like can have a free day out . This was the problem at Middle Wallop years back . Also a problem at Fairford which adds funfairs to obstruct enthusiasts . We have very few shows nower days and in my opinion they are getting worse each year as the money grabbers ply their trade . I go to only one or two . Chrisj

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:50 pm

There hasn't been a fun fair at Fairford for years! I do agree there are far too many of the viewing enclosures these days but that's a money spinner for the charities that benefit so I'll begrudgingly put up with those.
As for the road closures, do you really want a repeat of Shoreham? If that happens again, your narrow minded view will result in kissing goodbye to airshows in their entirety in the U.K. Is that what you really want, just so the roads are reopened so you and others can stand and watch from outside?
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Seaking93

Post by Seaking93 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:08 pm

ChrisJ wrote:I stopped going to YV show just for these sort of reasons . I started going on the Friday but the rules for entry were changed so that we were treated like the great unwanted by the RN/FAA . I tried staying outside of the base but that has been made difficult by the small minded jobs worth of RN/FAA who first shut local roads to traffic then the following year stopped pedestrians as well . Only reason is for us to part with cash . Too many enclosures/ tents on flight line restricts public/payer's viewing so that the Almighty Officers and the like can have a free day out . This was the problem at Middle Wallop years back . Also a problem at Fairford which adds funfairs to obstruct enthusiasts . We have very few shows nower days and in my opinion they are getting worse each year as the money grabbers ply their trade . I go to only one or two . Chrisj
Chris
Your sounding like a bitter ex crab to me :P
All joking apart, sadly its the world we live in post Shoreham, these restrictions are either followed are there will be no show, like that or not, nothing to do with Almighty Officers at all, I would also point out that the MAA is a tri service unit which of course includes the RAF.

Hope your keeping well

Bob

Return to “Yeovilton”