Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Speeding drivers are facing higher fines.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
AndrewBarclay

Speeding drivers are facing higher fines.

Post by AndrewBarclay » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Reported in The Wirral Globe.

Speeding drivers will soon face stricter penalties and much higher fines based on what they earn. On April the 24th, new rules come into effect in the UK which mean that offenders could now be charged up to 175% of their weekly income.

Currently in the UK the minimum penalty for speeding is a £100.00p fine and three penalty points added to your driving licence while the maximum fine is £1000.00p or £2500,00p for motorway offences.

But when the new guidelines are brought in next month those caught driving at more than 101mph in a 70mph speed limit could be disqualified for up to 56 days
and get a fine of between 125and175per cent of their relevant weekly income.

Or if you are caught going between 31mph and 40mph in a 30mph zone you will get three penalty points and a fine of between 25 and 75 per cent of your weekly income.

Currently many drivers get away without points and a fine by paying for a speed awareness course.

It follows tougher penalties being brought in this month for anyone using a mobile phone behind the wheel.

The previous penalty of three points and a £100.00p fine has been doubled to 6 points and £200.00p

The new sentencing structure has been designed to produce a sufficient deterrent to reduce the number of speeding drivers.

How will this affect current drivers? If you are a high earner, your fine could be huge, If a footballer earning £300.000 a week could face a fine £500,000.

Meanwhile an 18 year old driver who works 40 hours a week on the minimum wage could be subject to a fine of less than £400.00p for the same speed.

How much will the ordinary drivers be fined if they are caught speeding?.

The new speeding system is split into three bands which rate the severity of the offence based on the speed limit.

Band A Refers to an offence that is between one and ten MPH over the stated speed limit.

A Band B Offence is 11mph to 21 MPH above the stated speed limit and a band C Offence is 21 MPH above that stated limit.

The starting point for a band A fine is 50% of you weekly wage; Band B is 100% of your weekly wage; Band C starting point is 150% rising to 175% .

Happy motoring .

PS This should pay for the Chancellors missing NIC Contributions.
Last edited by AndrewBarclay on Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Undertaker

Re: Speeding drivers are facing higher fines.

Post by Undertaker » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:14 pm

About time too !

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Just take their licences away for a l-o-n-g time and make them sit the extended test thereafter, with prohibitive insurance costs :@

I HATE speeders: there IS no excuse; the law IS the law :Wow:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:03 pm

I agree also, I'm maybe old School but I thought the 10% Speedometer discrepancy would still count eg 3mph @ 30mph, 4mph @ 40. So fining somebody doing 31mph in a 30 might have it's problems?

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:29 pm

Nowadays, a speedometer must NEVER under-record the actual speed. It is allowed to over-record, but only within a certain limit - which I cannot remember.

Therefore the old 10% leeway will not hold water.
Cheers, Bob

Skymaster

Post by Skymaster » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:35 pm

What if you drive an older car, though?

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:14 am

Up til a couple of years ago we had an old 1958 Daimler which when going at steady speed indicated between 30-60 mph !!

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am

rh226 wrote:Nowadays, a speedometer must NEVER under-record the actual speed. It is allowed to over-record, but only within a certain limit - which I cannot remember.
Afraid that's not true. It's true that cars with EU type certification are supposed to be -10%/+0% per the relevant EU regs. However, there are international treaties that allow cars from other juristrictions to be imported by 'read across' of their relevant certifications. One such is the USA where the regs are +5%/-5%. So a car imported from the US could legally under read by as much as 5%.

However, it makes no difference. Legally you can be convicted by the expert opinion of 2 police officers (one on a motorway). There doesn't need to be any actual evidence of the actual speed.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:03 am

Skymaster wrote:What if you drive an older car, though?
Very true & the Speedometer is not checked at an MOT,which would require a calibrated rolling road?

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Its interesting to note that in recently released data there were over 115,000 motorists issued with fixed penalty notices of £100.00p for speeding in 2013. just imagine what revenue can be generated when these new penalties come into force. Could pay off the national debt.

lozza

Post by lozza » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Just another way of getting in the money, disgraceful.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:33 pm

What's disgraceful - penalising law-breakers? I think not!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:53 pm

Totally agree, 'Nighthawke' :thumbs:

You speed; you pay the price :lol:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

lozza

Post by lozza » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:18 pm

paddyboy wrote:Totally agree, 'Nighthawke' :thumbs:

You speed; you pay the price :lol:
Your telling me your both whiter than white, not once have you ever broken a speed limit, people speeding in built up areas I have no time for, but out on an open road, these fines are not proportional.
I get caught doing silly speed on my motorbike, I will not get a mega fine, yet if someones caught breaking into your house, bet their fine is a lot less, I know which I consider to be the greater offence, same as some vile scumbag assaulting an old granny bet the fine would be less than someone caught in a higher speed range.

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm

Agree with you Lozza. Don't let anyone try to kid you that all cameras are 'safety camera's' That is classic bullplop. The vast majority are nothing but cash generating machines.
Peodophiles/ rapists/ burglars / bullies / muggers and delinquent cyclists to name but a few MAKE EM PAY.

Thanks
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am

A. If you can't see a police car, marked or otherwise behind you
b. You can't be bothered to look out in front of you for someone pointing something at you, or a van parked with blacked out windows or the numerous other clues that there's a speed trap.
c. You can't work out are on a road, clearly marked with road signs telling you what the speed limit is AND big signs telling you there are speed cameras AND a big yellow box at the side of the road, plus markings on the road means there are speed cameras

Then you are stupid, and should not have a driving license, let alone be driving in excess of the speed limit.

Speeding is an offence against criminal law. If you were caught nicking £20, would you moan and winge and blame everyone else? You do the crime, do the time, hard luck open your eyes next time.

In spite of what some of you think, many drivers simply are incapable of driving at speed. My former Trafpol colleagues made huge amounts of overtime going to court because many of you feel so obliged to demonstrate that so often. Myself and my other uniformed colleagues spend time that we could have spent doing other things reporting accidents the results of that lack of skill resulted in finding themselves in bedded in another car, street furniture or people.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:43 pm

I am certainly NOT 'whiter than white', but I have NEVER exceeded the speed limit in almost 46 years driving :)

If I ever did whilst at work for RM, they would take a very dim view :@

I am not trying to be 'holier-than-though', but the law IS the law :@

Why, oh why can some people not just stick to the rules :S

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Voodoo1

Post by Voodoo1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Well said Bernie & Patrick!

It makes me sick when you see some of the drivers out there.
I use a dual carriageway everyday to commute back and forth to work and there's not a day I'm not cussing some looney bin up my arse being aggressive because they are in a rush or speeding.
Without being sexist but I'm finding women to be worse than men now, especially school run mum's in their family wagons who are rushing around polluting the planet more than your average HGV driver!

The law is the there for everyone's safety, if everyone drove at the same speed then driving would be so much more pleasant.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

lozza

Post by lozza » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:44 pm

Well were never going to agree are we, but I will admit if I'm out on the mountain roads of Wales and its quiet I will tend to enjoy myself on the motorbike, but in built up areas then its time to be sensible.

As for
Bernie wrote:1.

c. You can't work out are on a road, clearly marked with road signs telling you what the speed limit is AND big signs telling you there are speed cameras AND a big yellow box at the side of the road, plus markings on the road means there are speed cameras

Then you are stupid, and should not have a driving license, let alone be driving in excess of the speed limit.

In spite of what some of you think, many drivers simply are incapable of driving at speed.
Well Bernie I must be doing something right as in 23 years of blue light driving the sheet is still clean, not even a scratch, but I do take my driving very serious, I just enjoy speed, interestingly I was chatting to the Speed awareness guys today at work, boy these blokes are anal :whistle: :whistle: , but even they agreed the new fines are excessive as do some Traffic Police I know.

Sorry Paddyboy don't believe you've not once exceeded a speed limit ever.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:44 pm

For me speeding in the vicinity of a school sign should be an instant ban of at least 2 months.

About 20,000 thousand people are killed or injured on British roads every year!

Enjoy speed but join a track club not on public roads.

Return to “General Chat”