Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Viewing village Grandstand - worth it?

Post information relating to the Royal International Air Tattoo here.
mbo570

Viewing village Grandstand - worth it?

Post by mbo570 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi all. I am thinking of upgrading my general admission ticket to a viewing village grandstand. Is it worth it, photography wise, bearing in mind i will be carrying a 70-300mm lens? Or should i stay on the grass?

Thanks,
Mario

XWP29

Re: Viewing village Grandstand - worth it?

Post by XWP29 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Last year the viewing village had a very cramped stand. We arrived early and established a top row seat. There was so little room that we moved down to the grass area around lunch time. Much more room but a little to far from the flight line for a 70 - 300mm lens. At the front possibly OK.

I would not pay the extra again as there was lots of space on the general flight line when we arrived.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

mbo570

Post by mbo570 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks for your reply. In 2015 I stayed on the grass a little bit back from the front line. Was not too crowded. I think this year's stand will be different from the one used last year.

I thought I would make use of the higher viewpoint..but if I am further from the front line than I was when I was on the grass then it would be no good.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 am

First year going, and got the Viewing Village Grandstand for Saturday, where would be the best seats to try and get? I've heard some say top right. I have heard others saw nearer the bottom.

Got general admission for Sunday so using that to wander the static and stalls as well as trying to get some photos with the aircraft in the skies in the background of those on static.
AirshowsNI

2022 Airshows
Queens Jubilee Flypast
Cosford
RIAT
Portrush

mbo570

Post by mbo570 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:02 pm

I ended up getting a viewing village garden upgrade. I want to be nearer to the crowdline and the stand seems to be set some way back.

Two66

Post by Two66 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:43 pm

mbo570 wrote:Hi all. I am thinking of upgrading my general admission ticket to a viewing village grandstand. Is it worth it, photography wise, bearing in mind i will be carrying a 70-300mm lens? Or should i stay on the grass?

Thanks,
Mario
RIAT was my first year last year, I went for the viewing village grandstand, the elevated position is nice, giving you a view of the runway and being able to see stuff from the right earlier when its taking off.

You get assigned a seat when you arrive, all the top row had been allocated when we got there so we were a couple rows from the back and had a good view. Leg room was ok, I'm 6ft 2 and my knees weren't touching the seat infront, had room for my backpack between my legs. Although as others have said I believe they are going back to their 2015 grandstand provider that I have no experience off.

I was shooting on a 70-300mm and an iPhone for video. Have a look here, should give you an idea of the view, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybdWONWIRME

Return to “RIAT”