Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scottish International Airshow 2017

Post information on other airshows and events here.
Heidfirst

Scottish International Airshow 2017

Post by Heidfirst » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:14 pm

Dates: Saturday 2nd September & Sunday, 3rd September.

CosmonautX

Re: Scottish International Airshow 2017

Post by CosmonautX » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:42 pm

Tickets are now on sale for the family area, comfort seating and car parking for this year - tickets@tsia.scot - and premium tier tickets will be going on sale soon.

There are apparently no plans for a static this year, but it looks like there will be displays on both Saturday and Sunday - though whether they are repeat displays or whether there are due to be different aircraft flying on different days is not yet clear. I'd have to check my receipts from last year, but I think the ticket prices for the family area may have gone up a little (perhaps £5-10?) and with the possibility of different flying on Saturday/Sunday it could work out quite a bit more expensive for access to the family area this time around (I have four children, so a ticket for the family area for both days would be around £115).

I'd hope the organisers have adjusted their plans for premium tickets from last year and are able to offer things like the night shoot at Prestwick separately, rather than included in the top-end package. Last year's night shoot was good, but it would have been far more attractive if it had been available for £40-50 as a separate option rather than wrapped into the £100 Ultimate pass.

The other small frustration is that there are no announcements for participants to go along with the tickets going on sale. Hopefully something will be announced soon...

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 pm

...and the premium tickets are up, rebranded as "Patron's Tickets". £57.42 for one day (either Saturday or Sunday) or £93.64 for the weekend, and included for those prices are:
- Entry to premium ticket areas
- Best promenade and Low Green photography areas
- Dedicated Catering & Welfare Facilities
- Breakfast Rolls until 11:30
- Buffet Lunch
- High Tea
- Pilot / crews meet and greet
- Bespoke Entertainment
- Patron’s Marquee
- Dedicated viewing area
- Dedicated pay bar
- Parking for one vehicle
The full weekend ticket also gets you:
- Induction onto TSIA Website Patrons Roll of Honour
- TSIA Souvenir programme
- TSIA Patrons Badge
All of these tickets are for 18+ (I'm assuming because of licensing regulations for the bar etc.) so one to bear in mind for potential buyers with younger family. Still no word on display lineup, or whether there will be any kind of photoshoot as with last year.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:33 am

Bit of a shame about there not Likely to be a Static again this Year, if that's the case looks like Saturday only again for me this Year.

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Unknown74 wrote:Bit of a shame about there not Likely to be a Static again this Year, if that's the case looks like Saturday only again for me this Year.
I'm waiting to hear whether there will be much in the way of repeat displays before pulling the trigger on a ticket. If they're going to have two full flying displays with different lineups on both days then I'd be interested, but I'm not sure whether they will be able to secure the participation to manage that and I'm expecting at least some repetition over the weekend. The latest comment on their Facebook suggests they'll be making some announcement about participants soon so we shall see...

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:37 am

Finally starting to get some announcements on displays:
  • The BBMF are scheduled to display with the Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster on 2 September. The Lancaster will stay overnight at Prestwick and make a second display on 3 September (it's not entirely clear from the FB announcement whether the Spitfire and Hurricane will join it or whether it will be a solo display)
  • The Typhoon Display will appear on both the 2 and 3 September.
  • The Tutor Display will also appear on both 2 and 3 September, as will the Falcons parachute team.
  • Finally, the Red Arrows are scheduled to display on 3 September only.
So far it's looking like there will be a fair amount of repeat displays - I'd assume that, weather staying relatively static over the two days, there won't be any major variance between the displays the Typhoon, Tutor and Falcons put on - with Sunday looking as though it might be the preferable day to attend if you want to catch the Arrows as well as the other aircraft. Given that the Lancaster went tech last time, I'm tempted to attend both days just in case there's a problem but I'll hold off to see what else is announced before making a final decision.

scimitar

Post by scimitar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:06 pm

Following on from last years experiment there will be an evening display on Friday 1st September. According to the Typhoon display plans, the Typhoon will be displaying on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, weather and other operational matters permitting obviously.

Andrew
Canon EOS1200D
Canon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Tamron 150-600mm

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:33 pm

According to their reply on the display announcements on the Airshow FB page there won't be a night display this year. I'm not quite sure why the Typhoon Display calendar shows 1/2/3 September for TSIA - is it possible they're including what I'd assume will be their arrival/overnight at Prestwick on the Friday, or that there has been a change in display plans at either end?

EDIT:

...and have clarified the display for the Lancaster - it will be a three aircraft display for the BBMF on Saturday, then a solo Lancaster display on the Sunday (all going to plan and no last-minute tech issues, of course!)

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Another update - there will be a Royal Marine role demo on Saturday September 2nd. The plan is apparently for a simulated beach assault with frigate and helicopter support and landing craft, together with pyros. According to the FB page it's scheduled for a prime slot on the Saturday afternoon.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Have noticed somewhere that while the Red Arrows are unfortunately only displaying on Sunday here at Ayr I noticed that while they are down at Bournemouth they are also due to fly at Portrush both days, which leads me to wonder wether they may give Ayr a Flypast on their way back from Portrush on the Saturday on the assumption they maybe popping into Prestwick on way South for fuel.

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon May 08, 2017 11:25 am

Would certainly be good if they managed to squeeze in a flypast on the Saturday!

Further aircraft confirmed - both the Yak 3 (owned by Will Greenwood, I think?) and the MiG-15 of the Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron are down to display on Saturday and Sunday. Both of those should be good to see, and it starts to fill out the display roster a bit.

honest man

Post by honest man » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:39 pm

Belgian F16 has been added tonight :clap:

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:11 pm

Just saw that! Great news, and a nice catch for the show - starting to fill out nicely now :)

prefontaine72

Post by prefontaine72 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:27 pm

That is a superb update there with the Belgian F-16 :thumbs:

Dougie :D

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 pm

Team Raven confirmed for both Saturday and Sunday - looks like another good catch!

prefontaine72

Post by prefontaine72 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:08 pm

Yip another good addition there with Team Raven :thumbs:

Dougie :)

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:05 am

Poor line up when compared to East fortune. Yes I know Scottish airshow is themed as being a "free show". However now in the 4th year and if you take the F16 out this would be there poorest line up yet.

prefontaine72

Post by prefontaine72 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:25 pm

2 P-51 Mustangs added flying both days :thumb:

Dougie :)

prefontaine72

Post by prefontaine72 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:40 pm

Awesome addition KC-135 for both days superb :thumbs:

Dougie :D

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am

Another update and another pair of aircraft added to the display roster - a Boeing Stearman (I think it's the one operated by TG Aviation) and the de Havilland Dragonfly operated by Shipping & Airlines will appear on both days.

The display lineup now looks like this:

SATURDAY

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Spitfire, Hurricane and Lancaster Display
Typhoon Display
Tutor Display
Falcons Display
USAF KC-135 flypast
Boeing Stearman
de Havilland Dragonfly
MiG-15
P-51D (Miss Helen)
P-51D (The Shark)
Loganair Saab 340
Pitts Special (Lauren Richardson)
Team Raven
Cessna 172 "Wee Dram"
Catalina
Belgian F-16 Display
Yak-3
Royal Marines Role Demo

SUNDAY

Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Lancaster Display
Typhoon Display
Tutor Display
Falcons Display
USAF KC-135 flypast
Boeing Stearman
de Havilland Dragonfly
MiG-15
P-51D (Miss Helen)
P-51D (The Shark)
Loganair Saab 340
Pitts Special (Lauren Richardson)
Team Raven
Cessna 172 "Wee Dram"
Catalina
Belgian F-16 Display
Yak-3
Red Arrows

I think that's everything announced so far, but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. It's certainly filled out a fair bit and it looks like a meatier lineup than 2016. While the two days are filled with repeat displays it should hopefully give a fair chance of good weather on at least one of them!
Last edited by CosmonautX on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”