Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
EGNH1909

Re: New to FC or not so new? Introduce yourself here.

Post by EGNH1909 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi everyone-my name is Pete- I’m from St Annes on the Lancashire coast. Been an aviation fan on and off since school in the early 70’s. Been a regular guest visitor to this site and Civilian Aviation for a couple of years now, so I thought it’s about time I officially joined in. I’ve recently bought a scanner & started scanning my collection of pre digital slides/prints from various airports/airshows from 70’s to 90’s-(what have I let myself in for!!)- will post some when I get to grips with everything on the site/Flickr etc.
Next step is a half decent DSLR-must say I’ve gained a lot of good info/advice on camera choices already, just from reading posts on this site- thanks for that.
Best Wishes
Pete

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:26 am

Welcome to the forum guys! Look forward to seeing your posts/photos! :)

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:34 pm

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum, buddies :thumbs:

Best regards ;)

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

wiggy66

Post by wiggy66 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am

Hi,

Long time civil aviation photographer (well 30 years plus!) taking a look over the fence to see what's happening on the military side. Really don't know why it's taken me so long! :unsure:

Already seen some cracking shots on the site here and hope to add some of my own over the coming months and years.

Denis.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:21 pm

Welcome aboard, Dennis :thumbs:

Cheers ;)

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Vulcan44

Post by Vulcan44 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:40 pm

Hi, I'm also new to FC, in fact to any sort of forum so I want to get my apologies in early for any mistakes I make.
I began my interest in aircraft spotting back in the early 1950s when I started watching the comings and goings at London's Croydon Airport; there were no civil jet engines around at that time, most of my logging consisted of DH Moths of various sorts. The only military aircraft I saw in those days were at RAF Open Days although I saw quite a few old war surplus Harvards waiting to be scrapped or sold on at Southend airport and Prentices at Stansted. I joined the RAF back in 1960 when the service had more than just a few squadrons to it's name and my interest in military spotting took off. Tours to diverse places such as Gibraltar, Lyneham, Aden and Sharjah made it all the more interesting but unfortunately along the way I lost a few of my log books and photos so nowadays most of this is just a memory. I sit back now and just watch fly overs, mostly civilian. My grandson has now caught the bug so before I move to the great hangar in the sky, I want to pass on to him what I have and maybe with some help, reconstruct what I have lost, if someone can point me in the right direction as to which part of the FC Forum to use.
Regards to all
Vulcan44

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Buddy :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum :thumbs:

You might start your perusal of this great site by looking at posts on 'Warbirds, Replicas and Nostalgia', as there is a plethora of shots from days of yore ;)

Very best regards :thumb:

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Vulcan44

Post by Vulcan44 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Paddyboy,

Thanks for the info, I'll give the Warbirds part of the forum a try to see if anyone can help with my request.

Glad to see your'e a supporter of XH558, I'm an ex Waddington 44 Sqn Vulcan guy myself.

Regards

Vulcan44

Chinook11

Post by Chinook11 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:45 pm

Hi I'm Paul

I live just outside of Basingstoke Hampshire, approximately 6 miles from RAF Odiham so hopefully will be able to update the Odiham info a bit more regular, although its hard reading those dark serials on a dark green background.
Been aircraft spotting for about 25 years but only just invested in a scanner Alnico DJ-X11.
Info on this forum is amazing !!

Plum

Post by Plum » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Hi Pleased to be able to join you. I have a general interest in aviation & scanning. Living in Wakefield I am a bit outside the usual routes for military, but thedo see the odd one. I am listening to them more often, when civil aviation locally is quiet. Listening equipment for military is an AOR8200, my ICOM amateur base station & hand held have gaps over the military frequencies.
Looking forward to being an interested, rather than a particlarly vocal, member.

eagle1

Post by eagle1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:49 pm

:thumbs: Welcome aboard guys

Some great info on this forum. You have chosen a good one

Happy spotting

Cheers

Martin
Uniden UBC125XLT/Roof top aerial
Yupiteru MVT5000
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 55-250
Sigma 150-600 C
Plane Plotter
360 Radar

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_a/

TonkaGirl

Post by TonkaGirl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:01 pm

Hey everyone!
I've come across this forum a few times, but only just signed up. I currently live in the Scottish Borders but my dad was in the RAF when I was born so I spent the first 2 years of my life at Coningsby and then Leuchars for a few years after that. I've always had a love for military aviation but in the last few years my passion has really been re ignited and I can't get enough!
I try to get to airshows when I can and visit bases for a bit of spotting when I can, but living in the Borders there's a lot of travelling involved for that!
Looking forward to being part of the group :cool:

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Welcome aboard :clap:

Martin Dawson

Post by Martin Dawson » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Afternoon/evening fellow plane spotters and aviation spotters, who knows since 1979 we probably bumped into each other at airshows at Church Fenton, Finningley the odd Leeming and the Last Lightning Show at Binbrook or other the fence at Linton-on-Ouse. I am primarily interested in Spaceflight ever since the mid-60's and only did airshows to buy patches from Stewart Aviation. One day in around 1988 some one said 'you do realise a lot of these aeroplanes are been retired and scrapped?' it then clicked with me and so I traded my Praktika MTL5B for a Olympus OM-2n. I was doomed... Did the first ten Waddington airshows but I got fed up with 'another grey pointy 'F' thingy. So, took a rest from aviation and concentrated on AFV's. Now, retired am 'slowly' scanning all my prints to 1200 dpi on a brilliant scanner I was passed and am pleased at the results. Best wishes, clear skies and keep looking up! Martin Dawson

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Martin :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation forum, buddy :thumbs:

I went from a Zenit Photosniper (weighed a ton) to an Om2n, an Om2SP and my pride and joy, an Om4Ti :)

Like your good self I got fed up in the mid 90's and just watched at shows :whistle:

Did every Waddo 1995--2014 ;)

Get scanning, mate, and get some shots up on WR&N :thumb:

Best regards :D

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Hmb

Post by Hmb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Hi boys and girls. Been lurking a while and been a bit of a oh fudge to join up but managed it now.
Live in Essex but parents retired to mildenhall.
Just gotta learn how to use the dslr better

ST1976

Post by ST1976 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 pm

Have viewed this site for several years and finally decided to register . . . . . . to get some piccies on from the XV final fly-by.

My main use of this site was based on the activity up at Garve - I used to attend at Tain range in my capacity as a dropped debris destroyer :halo: , and the same controllers at Tain look after the air moves up at Garve. Specifically I look out for JW timings & activities and have been lucky to be at the range head when live bombing has been going on. I've also watched ship to shore gunnery and shore to shore gunnery and mortars - makes for an interesting day out - I ride up on my bike, wander across the dunes and if I'm really lucky, get into the compound for 1st hand notice of whats going bang when :thumb:

Shame the 1st JW of this year looks to be a tame affair, weapons wise :unsure:

still, there is always Octobers event to look forward to :clap:

Steve T

:cool:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:43 am

Afternoon from cold cloudy Anglesey :roll:

Well I'm a 48 year old long time lurker of FC, and was recommended by two FC members to take the plunge, so here I am :whistle:

Legend has it, when I was 6 months old in a pram, (in late 1969) I pointed to the jets/ helicopters flying overhead from RAF Valley and ever since then I've been hooked on military aviation (although I do dip my toes occasionally into the "Dark Side" for some Civvie aviation in Manchester, Heathrow or overseas airports)

Thanks to my father I managed a few visit in the early 80's to the loop so I can vaguely remember Phantoms/ Jags/ Harriers/ F111's in the loop, just a shame I have no evidence to show for it :(

I mainly take photos for my records, but I'm still trying to get my head around "scanner speak" etc :lol:

After three trips to Aussie & NZ I'm targeting California/ Miramar next on my list

In the mid 90's I joined the Valley Aviation Society and now I'm currently a committee member looking after the Society's Website/ Facebook page and I'm also one of the team that arranges the occasional trips we do.

Tat's a potted explanation of my aviation history :)
If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...

eagle1

Post by eagle1 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:22 pm

:thumbs: Welcome aboard guys

Some great info on this forum. You have chosen a good one

Never be afraid to ask a question, we have all had to start at the bottom of the ladder, so to speak

Look forward to sharing your aviation knowledge

Happy spotting

Cheers

Martin :)
Uniden UBC125XLT/Roof top aerial
Yupiteru MVT5000
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Canon EF-S 55-250
Sigma 150-600 C
Plane Plotter
360 Radar

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_a/

fuzzielogic

Post by fuzzielogic » Tue May 02, 2017 9:44 am

Hi All,

Long time lurker, new member. Just saying hi!

Hoping to get to Lakenheath this week before the F35's leave

Cheers!

Luke

Return to “The Newbie Forum”