Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Best folding ladder

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
XWP29

Best folding ladder

Post by XWP29 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:52 am

Very much in the ancillary department of photography gear.
whats the best folding ladder and brand for fence hanging at Airforce bases.
In terms of lightness, compactness when folded down, what height is best, strength and stability considerations.
If anyone has any info, that would be great.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

roadstar1845

Re: Best folding ladder

Post by roadstar1845 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 am

Depends on the length of the string. I've got a 3 step from B and Q, which will fit nicely in the boot of most cars.
Many airfield fences may be at least 2.2 mtrs. when a 3 step would be inappropriate.
My 3step is very heavy and not ideal, so I would only recommend something lightweight and portable with wide rungs or top step to support body weight.
I would suggest it has to be A frame, someone may get very upset if you keep propping up against hedging and fencing.
Remember,whatever you buy ,you've got to carry and will it fit your transport.
Good luck be interested to know how you go on as i'm ready to upgrade myself.

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:48 am

I use a standard three step aluminium step ladder, with the top platform step, as described above, because it fits in the car.
Couple of tips to increase the height. Make a small wooden 'box' that fits on the top platform and raises the height if required.
Second is to carry a couple of pieces of plastic guttering, use these under the legs of the ladder to stop the legs sinking into soft ground.
I always use a bunggie cord (or string/rope) to tie the top of the ladder to the fence, that way if you over balance the ladder will at least be restrained against the fence.

TARGET

Post by TARGET » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:22 am

Not cheap but i have just purchased a telescopic one that extends to 5M as straight ladder and to 2.5M as an A-frame.Collapsed it is less than 1M.Fits in the boot of my 2 seat sports car.Very pleased with it.

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:43 am

TARGET wrote:Not cheap but i have just purchased a telescopic one that extends to 5M as straight ladder and to 2.5M as an A-frame.Collapsed it is less than 1M.Fits in the boot of my 2 seat sports car.Very pleased with it.

Thanks for the replies, Target quite interested in your post.
Can you give a price and brand of your item, sounds very interesting.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

TARGET

Post by TARGET » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:22 pm

Strangely doesnt seem to have a brand name but bought it from EASYGOODS through Amazon.Doesnt seem to be on their site now though but same product on Ebay. Suggest you search MULTI PURPOSE TELESCOPIC LADDER-5M and you should find it(or similar).I paid £104-99 but prices seem to be changing all the time.Interested to hear how you get on.

Skip

Post by Skip » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:34 pm

I got these ones http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multi-functio ... form-n74ka but they were in a sale when I got them, only paid £29.99 for them
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:58 am

Skip wrote:I got these ones http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/multi-functio ... form-n74ka but they were in a sale when I got them, only paid £29.99 for them
These are now showing at £60, but are also available at Aldi for £10 less. I bought a set of these a few months back. They are great if you have limited space in the car, but they are heavy and you don't want to carry them a long way!
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Got my ladders at the auction rooms; 2-step plus top tray cost me c. £6. I use these for railway photographing, and the five step (c. £15) used to fit in the passenger footwell when I journeyed to East Anglia, though that is some time ago now. I think both sets are the old Beldray models. Visit your local salerooms if you're not in a rush.
Roger

The Cameraman

Post by The Cameraman » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:12 am

Hi Guys n Gals,

what I'd like would be a set of telescopic, A frame ladders that were really light and collapsed down enough to fasten on to the luggage rack of a motorcycle!

Not asking for a lot eh!

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”