Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Tain Viewing/Photography...

CosmonautX

Tain Viewing/Photography...

Post by CosmonautX » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:13 pm

Hope someone can help with a couple of queries re: the Tain range.

I live 20 minutes down the road from the Tain range, and I've spotted Tornados in action there a few times - most recently when visiting Tarbat Ness, as one from Lossie was on the range doing low-level runs. I'd quite like to try and capture the range in use and I wondered if anyone had any tips for good locations to catch aircraft on approach/exit, or using the range? I had a read through of an old thread here, but as it's around four years out of date are there any changes to keep in mind? In terms of locations:

-- The beach at Inver looked like a reasonable spot for catching the range in use, as from what I could tell from looking at the position of the range on a map and the approach I've seen aircraft taking, they should pass directly opposite the beach on runs and short of being on the range itself it's about as close as you can get.

-- The point at Tarbat Ness or Portmahomack seem to be good for catching low-level approaches to the range (I've seen the YouTube videos of Tornados coming in low over a fishing boat just off the point).

-- Struie Hill. A bit more out-of-the-way, but possibly good for catching aircraft coming down the Firth.

Also, is there a reliable way of finding out when the range is likely to be in use?

(I did spot someone suggesting driving up to the tower to take photos, but I did get the impression that might have been either a one-off or a leg-pull... :) )

Skoshi

Re: Tain Viewing/Photography...

Post by Skoshi » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Not as daft as it sounds, the guys in the Tower would rather know where you are out of harms way so to speak. If they dont want you there they will tell you.
Steve...

3 miles south of EGNT
UBC780XLT,UBC-800XLT,UBC-3500,MVT-7100,Aor8200Mk3
PP (BX), SBS-1
Pen and Paper

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:52 pm

Skoshi wrote:Not as daft as it sounds, the guys in the Tower would rather know where you are out of harms way so to speak. If they dont want you there they will tell you.
If the range staff were as accommodating as that, I'd be delighted! Looking back, it was a member here who suggested driving up to the tower so I might drop them a message on the off chance.

Any other tips would be very welcome!

stavid

Post by stavid » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:04 pm

CosmonautX wrote:Hope someone can help with a couple of queries re: the Tain range.

I live 20 minutes down the road from the Tain range, and I've spotted Tornados in action there a few times - most recently when visiting Tarbat Ness, as one from Lossie was on the range doing low-level runs. I'd quite like to try and capture the range in use and I wondered if anyone had any tips for good locations to catch aircraft on approach/exit, or using the range? I had a read through of an old thread here, but as it's around four years out of date are there any changes to keep in mind? In terms of locations:

-- The beach at Inver looked like a reasonable spot for catching the range in use, as from what I could tell from looking at the position of the range on a map and the approach I've seen aircraft taking, they should pass directly opposite the beach on runs and short of being on the range itself it's about as close as you can get.

-- The point at Tarbat Ness or Portmahomack seem to be good for catching low-level approaches to the range (I've seen the YouTube videos of Tornados coming in low over a fishing boat just off the point).

-- Struie Hill. A bit more out-of-the-way, but possibly good for catching aircraft coming down the Firth.

Also, is there a reliable way of finding out when the range is likely to be in use?
Hi there. ive been a regular to tain but only stood by the gate to watch. One day a chap in uniform approached and asked if id be interested in a visit to the tower. Ive been twice now with my kids and the people there couldnt have been nicer or more informative. Last visit was maybe 3 years ago so things may have changed, as might the telephone number i was given to arrange the visit. 01862 894947. Good luck!! Best regards. Stevie.
(I did spot someone suggesting driving up to the tower to take photos, but I did get the impression that might have been either a one-off or a leg-pull... :) )

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:51 pm

What is the point of your post, stavid - you have just quoted the original post. :S
This week, I 'are been mostly eating ... PROZAC!

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Mike wrote:What is the point of your post, stavid - you have just quoted the original post. :S
I think his reply got mixed into the quote of my post - I've done it myself before!

Thanks for the info, Stevie - I'll see if I can get in touch and arrange something if they're still able to do that.

stavid

Post by stavid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:31 am

Mike wrote:What is the point of your post, stavid - you have just quoted the original post. :S
Pardon my incompetence. :Oops:

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:35 am

No worries, what were you going to say? :)
This week, I 'are been mostly eating ... PROZAC!

stavid

Post by stavid » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Mike wrote:No worries, what were you going to say? :)
My post was indeed mixed in amongst the quote from cosmonautX. Its still there. Id edit it if i knew how, but i can barely post a reply as we have seen!!. :whistle:

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 pm

To make it easier for anyone else reading this thread to spot it, stavid's advice was:
Hi there. ive been a regular to tain but only stood by the gate to watch. One day a chap in uniform approached and asked if id be interested in a visit to the tower. Ive been twice now with my kids and the people there couldnt have been nicer or more informative. Last visit was maybe 3 years ago so things may have changed, as might the telephone number i was given to arrange the visit. 01862 894947. Good luck!! Best regards. Stevie.

Return to “Tain Range”