Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section access

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
grahamdevizes

Re: Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section acce

Post by grahamdevizes » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks Bob, I can only speak for the members on our forum who regularly contact me to say, "sorry, we have nothing to post, we aren't mobile, and even if we did manage to get out and about, there's always someone who would beat us to it ( posting a log, etc). I don't believe these guys have a "take, take, take" mentality in any sense of the phrase. Our forum is tiny compared to FCG, yet we have a sizeable number of lads who can't get out and about. So what can they post or contribute? We decided from day one on our forum that there would never be any minimum requirements for a member. OK, you have to register to post but that's the only rule we have. Each to their own as they say, and as mentioned, this is in no way a criticism of FCG.

Within the past few months, I have contacted about 4-5 members because they hadn't posted in say 3-4 months. It wasn't to say, " post or you'll be out", but to enquire if they were OK, whether we had done or said something to annoy them, or whatever. All replied to say, " thanks Graham, so nice to be noticed, and the fact that someone takes notice of whether we post or not". I have no issue with whatever people take from our forum, regardless of whether they reciprocate or not. It really doesn't bother us. We're just happy to give them their daily fix. Maybe when I'm 80 ( and we have at least two members of that age) I'll be grateful that I can log in to a forum and keep up with my hobby, without fear of being booted out for lack of contributions. I really don't go with this "spammer" thing, it's minimal, it's controllable and at the end of it, what harm does it cause?
You can find me and 600 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:54 pm

I still post on the Farnborough aviation group. It is still soldiering on as you put it. The info on FAB is very current especially when combined with its sister Facebook.

It never ceases to amaze me how you never miss the chance to put the boot into the 'old' group, isn't it time to call a truce?

The Farnborough syndrome is a good example when groups go bad.

PS sorry this answer is not relevant to the original thread but I couldn't keep quiet on the above.

grahamdevizes

Post by grahamdevizes » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:31 am

Maybe you should re-read my previous posts on this thread slogen51 and then tell me where " I have put the boot into the old FAB forum" because I can't see where. I was using it as an example of how constant meddling by the forum owners eventually leads to members leaving of their own accord or being kicked out on momentary whims. I can't access the group because I was removed along with hundreds of others on such a "whim" which is a shame as I enjoyed that group, the info it provided and the friends I made during my time there. I was also a regular contributor to it and like many, lost a huge amount of posted information when it decided to shut up shop in January 2015 prior to re-opening some time later.
You can find me and 600 other enthusiasts at http://aviationforall.proboards.com

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:11 am

Mike wrote:It's your loss, mate - not ours !
We as a group,whether that be spotters or enthusiasts are now an ageing breed, i did hope when Fr24 et all became accessible to the youth we may of found more of the youngsters coming on board ! The 5 post rule could in effect turn this new blood off of joining us.

PS: an attitude like Mikes above really helps no one to be honest

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:31 pm

Well i just posted an Ott movement, (P3 163293) and it has now been deleted ! Seems it had already been posted.... So the question is do these 5 posts need to be unique sightings ? I only have my Sbs aerial very low ( hence the reason i didnt catch the callsign) as im Only interesred in aircraft i may see (spotter :unsure: ) i see now that the P3 was originally reported 75 mins before it became visible on my set up....... I have no chance of posting a unique sighting if others are looking deep into the atlantic or europe for aircraft coming our way and therefore noway of getting my 5 posts :S

POL

Post by POL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:34 pm

Doesn't need to be unique, just needs to be a post. Your post was merged in to the thread that already existed, and is still there.

By the way, you have 65 posts, so I'm not sure why you're worrying ;)

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm

Ah right !! I dont mind posting if others dont mind repetative info...... Its new to me at the time I post.... If that makes sense!! Oooh 65, do i really post that much!! Blimey...... really i was thinking about the new bods who post then see their post deleted! I only knew it had been merged because of this thread. Perhaps i should just sit on the fence with my 65 posts and see how it pans out !

POL

Post by POL » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:48 pm

Personally, I think posting something that's different (i.e. an updated position of an aircraft OTT) is perfectly acceptable. If person A sees it over Portsmouth, and you see it over Farnborough, that's fine. However, if you it over Farnborough, and person B sees it over Camberley, I'd probably refrain from posting seeing it over Wokingham! If that makes sense!? :)

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:16 pm

Eelmoor wrote:Well i just posted an Ott movement, (P3 163293) and it has now been deleted ! Seems it had already been posted.... So the question is do these 5 posts need to be unique sightings ? I only have my Sbs aerial very low ( hence the reason i didnt catch the callsign) as im Only interesred in aircraft i may see (spotter :unsure: ) i see now that the P3 was originally reported 75 mins before it became visible on my set up....... I have no chance of posting a unique sighting if others are looking deep into the atlantic or europe for aircraft coming our way and therefore noway of getting my 5 posts :S
Your post wasn't deleted, it was merged with the other P-3 thread which was already running.
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:26 pm

Eelmoor wrote:
Mike wrote:It's your loss, mate - not ours !
We as a group,whether that be spotters or enthusiasts are now an ageing breed, i did hope when Fr24 et all became accessible to the youth we may of found more of the youngsters coming on board ! The 5 post rule could in effect turn this new blood off of joining us.

PS: an attitude like Mikes above really helps no one to be honest
Yes - I admit my reply was a little "over the top", however - the poster threw all of his toys out of pram in one go once he realised that by joining he couldn't have full access to the OTT section from day one.

Maybe if he'd thought about it a little bit more before his rant then he could have posted a "nice shot, chap - which lens did you use for these shots" comment in the photo section, a "is this still for sale?" comment in the for sale section, a "where's the best place for photos?" comment in the Fairford section etc., etc., etc..............

Simples !!
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:28 pm

Yes thanks Gary, the post above informed me ..... :-)

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:31 pm

So are you saying Mike that you dont mind the forum being clogged up by pointless posts!? If you are advocating that then i find the whole situation rather bizarre!

rh226

Post by rh226 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 pm

Eelmoor,

I don't think that Mike is saying that obviously pointless posts should be made to obtain the minimum 5 post requirement.

I think he was suggesting that the posts should not appear to be pointless. Those that he suggested would appear to be genuine posts, as you do get genuine questions on:
- camera equipment (even from apparent experts),
- on where to post (as it is sometimes confusing for newcomers), and
- as to whether something is still for sale (quite a normal question).

Regards,

Bob

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi Bob,
I took it that what mike was saying was that newbies could ask questions in various other parts of FC to get their post count upto the minimum of 5 even if they wernt interested in the answer that a member had taken time to Reply to.

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:01 pm

Eelmoor wrote:So are you saying Mike that you dont mind the forum being clogged up by pointless posts!? If you are advocating that then i find the whole situation rather bizarre!
The forum has always been clogged-up with lots of unnecessary posts, loads of members post questions that can easily be answered by using the search facility, or by just looking through previous threads which have asked exactly the same question - or just by looking in the correct section to start with (I know that can be difficult at times as there are so many different sections).

I'm certainly not "advocating" anything - however, if you click on "members" at the top-right of the page, have a look at pages 490-497 (and the previous 100 pages if you really want to be depressed) and just have a look at how few "members" have posted anything since they joined.

Sad isn't it? Ask yourself a simple question.............why did they join in the first place?
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 pm

But isnt that what a forum is all about, people asking questions or reporting something to other likeminded people about a subject all are interested in, if you introduce to many rules as to how why what when then People will just upsticks and go somewhere else. This is what happened to a majority of the mailing lists that sprung up with the computer age , people weren't encouraged to interact, if they did they were told to keep On topic...... It was all very sterile with lists of numbers, people vted with their feet. The military side of our hobby is far more complicated than the civil side, instead of giving new members hurdles to get over they should be welcomed with Open arms and be encouraged to ask what they want

Perhaps its just me though :-/

Tristar500

Post by Tristar500 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:22 am

I have to say that, as an infrequent poster, I tend to agree with eelmoor's views and I do believe that the 5 posts ruling is a retrograde step. All that should be required to access any part of the forum is to be a registered member.

How will a new member feel if they post something in the 'UK Heads Up' section, for example, only to face a barrage of 'that was posted earlier' type replies ? They wouldn't have known about the earlier posting because they couldn't view the section it was in to start with !

Mike's comments on the 'pointless posts' surely contains the seeds of its own destruction; what use is a search facility if some sections are inaccesible, likewise how can you peruse previous threads if they are not available to you ? Consequently, a new member may well have no choice but to post a 'pointless question'.

If the 'hundreds' of non-posting members is a problem, why not have a cull. Perhaps ask members to make a post within a set time (even if it's only an "I'm Tristar500 & I'm an FC member" type post !) and cull those that don't conform, other groups seem to have done something similar in the past. The only danger is that it might dent the apparent popularity of the forum if membership goes down by half.

Just my thoughts, and it keeps my 'post' count up in the bargain posting.php?mode=reply&f=131&t=130009#

rh226

Post by rh226 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:10 am

Tristar500 wrote:How will a new member feel if they post something in the 'UK Heads Up' section, for example, only to face a barrage of 'that was posted earlier' type replies ? They wouldn't have known about the earlier posting because they couldn't view the section it was in to start with !
If a member is able to make a post in the "Heads up" section, they will be able to see what has already been posted there - as they have already satisfied the 5 post minimum.

I regret that too many people put fingers to keyboards before looking to see if a relevant post has been made in another (or even in the same) thread. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world. Our Mods do a great job, but they cannot pick up everything.

However, regarding the minimum post requirement, is there not is a parallel with employment?? Whether they are aware of it or not, just about everybody goes through a period of "probation" at the start. Could this minimum post requirement be regarded as a form of probation??
Cheers, Bob

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:39 am

Hi bob,
I guess the rush to get the info out there to other members could be the reason people post before checking all the other threads, minutes could make all the difference to someone who at 12.00 could look up and see the movement in question yet by 12.05 after all threads are checked the aircraft is gone from view

rh226

Post by rh226 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:00 am

I have to agree with you there, Eelmoor.

However, what about checking for duplication after one has made the post? Or even, if posting in an existing thread, using the "Preview" button before hitting "Submit" - which will tell you if further posts have been made which might supersede your own post??

Personally, I always check after, if I am in a hurry to post. And, yes, I do delete my posts/new threads which duplicate those of others. :halo: The only time I leave them is if they have information that adds to the original - and even then, I may well edit mine to eliminate duplication of information.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”