Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Reds not doing full display at Farnborough - Flypasts only.

Post information relating to Farnborough here.
ColintheCaterpillar

Re: Reds not doing full display at Farnborough - Flypasts on

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:31 am

slogen51 wrote:
C24 wrote:Jem60 summarises the situation quite well in my opinion.
Did he. Do you mean teams are no longer deemed safe to perform anymore? What about singleton aerobatics are they ok?
Singletons have far more flexibility to adjust their displays to the available airspace, and have far lower risks in terms of other factors (such as not being in close formation, some being twin rather than single engines etc). In addition, at the other end of the consideration scale, reputational risk is also far lower.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:39 am

A singleton has far less risk. Quick lesson here - risk = probability x damage (or loss depending on what is being assessed).

That is a simplistic starting point - the risk for the Red Arrows is not just 9 times more than a single aircraft. There are many more factors to be taken into account by those assessing the risk. That is where the expertise comes in and I would suggest that they are more qualified than many of us.

Arguments can to and fro until the proverbial cows come home, but it won't change things.

Enjoy what you can while you can

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:18 am

Morticietc. Those of us in the know about these things [F1 is also my thing] don't ever forget.
Slogen. This is a discussion that you are not going to win in this current climate, I'm afraid. No offence meant, but facts are facts.
Out of here for now to do three days of Ballroom dancing with Giovanni Pernice [Stirctly pro]. Sad life, but someone has to do it!!!.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:29 am

Saw a funny pic on Tony Stevenson's Farnborough face book page

Apparently the Reds are permitted to do formation taxying up and down the runway

Scudpilot

Post by Scudpilot » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:43 am

Moving the show to another site is all very well, but I think Farnborough themselves will be a little sad, having just spent millions of pounds on a state of the art exhibition set up.
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:36 pm

Scudpilot wrote:Moving the show to another site is all very well, but I think Farnborough themselves will be a little sad, having just spent millions of pounds on a state of the art exhibition set up.
Blue sky thinking; we all know in reality the exhibition set up dictates that it would be impractical to move elsewhere.

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Scudpilot wrote:Moving the show to another site is all very well, but I think Farnborough themselves will be a little sad, having just spent millions of pounds on a state of the art exhibition set up.
The exhibition site wasnt built solely for the airshow, there will be other shows/exhibitions coming soon to the airfield

B58

Post by B58 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Exactly, I think its more likely that this particular event will move as it is now possible to absorb the loss by having other events at the site. Let's face it up until quite recently the airshow was the only thing there & now they have other regular shows. Admittedly it would be a big loss but not a total loss to the local economy.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:02 pm

Yes and I don't suppose TAG are that keen on the show as it must be quite disruptive to the biz movements.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:45 pm

Let alone all the disruption it causes to those who live in that area with traffic diversions (speaking from experience). TAG are a minor problem.

Paul

B58

Post by B58 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 pm

To be honest living in Farnborough myself & talking to the locals the traffic issues are mostly in normal rush hour periods & the majority of people don't actually mind the disruption once every two years as 1 person put it we get a free airshow in return,or did until now. P S just wondering if the red arrows display at Cosford passed over the village/town that is to the south of the airfield. Looks like the Typhoon could of been close as well!! What no risk of coming down there!!

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:59 pm

B58 wrote:Exactly, I think its more likely that this particular event will move as it is now possible to absorb the loss by having other events at the site. Let's face it up until quite recently the airshow was the only thing there & now they have other regular shows. Admittedly it would be a big loss but not a total loss to the local economy.
Dont get me wrong. I believe the airshow will stay mainly due to the 'farnborough ' name, unless they do an MK Dons!! . However i think we will still see aircraft come and go during the week just
Not display, TAG could then Operate freely and an aircraft would be around
if an airline wanted to have a look at it ?

Return to “Farnborough”