Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Duxford's Naughty Field

Post information relating to any Duxford show here.
tazmin88

Re: Duxford's Naughty Field

Post by tazmin88 » Fri May 27, 2016 4:34 pm

Blue Diamond wrote:To show how daft the situation is, just received a report from the naughty field where people are watching the practice displays without let or hindrance. So how come it's safe today but dangerous tomorrow? :S

Totally agree that it is just as dangerous today as tomorrow ( albeit that there may be fewer aircraft in the air at any one time and fewer spectators ) but the restrictions on access are only applicable tomorrow and sunday perhaps today was not considered to be a big enough" special event " in legal terms for the council to get the order accepted by the courts but the display days were .
Regards Tazmin88

AOR7030
Wellbrook loop
Nikon D600 +70-300 zoom

stevep22

Post by stevep22 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:22 pm

I guess it's because today isn't an official public display.

Steve

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer » Fri May 27, 2016 6:24 pm

I was there all day today and did keep an eye on Grange Road. There were a couple of large vans by 2 gateway s for a while and two or three people were on the field side of the gateway at one point, there also (although it's quite a distance) a group of about 3 or 4 by another gateway later on. I did not see anybody actually on the fields watching the aircraft but had there been anybody there they would now be well and truly treated for blight, bugs and any other crop diseases as there were operatives on tractors spraying the crops for most of the afternoon.

Grange road was apparently open as I saw a couple of vehicles moving along there but as the previous post (and my original posts) pointed out the closures are only for tomorrow and sunday so being on Grange road today be it on foot, horseback, amphibious vehicle, bicycle, van or car it would not be breaking any order. Let's wait and see what tomorrow brings before we get too excited.

I have to say many of the practice displays seemed further away and it was also noticeable that they were turning well short of the M11 so presumably pilots have been told to avoid flying over the M11 during displays. They were using runway 06 today i.e. towards the M11 so nothing came in low over it to land, take offs were very high by the time they reached the motorway such that if an engine failed they would have plenty of time to pick an emergency landing point without risk to motorists on the M11.

Bronco & Skyvan pair and Patrouille de France were both very good

andy
admin on the sister forum, http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk
but being old and grey I like a bit of the military stuff too !

co-owner of UK Light Aviation Enthusiasts google group and Stansted Aviation Enthusiasts google group:

C24

Post by C24 » Fri May 27, 2016 8:06 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:
Goosebumps wrote:Your getting angry again!!!!
:D

Brian
Aren't you leaving yourself open for some sort of glib comment by posting this? ;)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Goosebumps

Post by Goosebumps » Fri May 27, 2016 8:15 pm

Went to duxford today paid £18 to watch the practice day. Fantastic!!!!!!! No one on the field at all.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri May 27, 2016 9:02 pm

Personally, I didn't see anyone in the field at all from where I was. I heard from someone who knows about things, that Duxford has temporarily rented the naughty field from the farmer, therefore making it their property for the week-end, and enabling them to police it themselves. We shall see!!. Talking to Cliff Spink later in the afternoon revealed that the turns round the motorway end, coming from the east to west WILL be higher and further away, but otherwise no significant change.
We will see tomorrow!!. Weather forecast is good for both days.

POL

Post by POL » Sat May 28, 2016 9:44 am

They can rent whatever they want from the farmer, it doesn't make it their field. In fact, it's not even the farmer's field in the first place!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat May 28, 2016 10:37 am

If it was rented then it would have been from the Land owners. Cambridge Colleges. There are people on Grange Road but they are all wearing high-viz clothing.

Brian

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat May 28, 2016 10:55 am

Damn it!...I've been 'outed'. It's called 'hiding in plain sight'. Later this afternoon I'll be patrolling the fields on behalf of IWM Duxford & the anally retentive massif....in my high-viz jacket naturally! After-all, I wouldn't want to get hit by some psycho-killer in his death-machine whilst on a Mission from God? :whistle:

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sat May 28, 2016 11:00 am

Pen Pusher wrote:If it was rented then it would have been from the Land owners. Cambridge Colleges. There are people on Grange Road but they are all wearing high-viz clothing.

Brian
So that's the answer. Wear hi-viz and you're no longer at danger from plummeting aircraft. Glad to know such a simple piece of clothing makes you invulnerable. :whistle:
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stealth117

Post by stealth117 » Sat May 28, 2016 11:05 am

Just the one lonely person on the mound at the mo. May go join him later :whistle:

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat May 28, 2016 11:16 am

Don't forget your Hi-Viz! It's a well known fact that Pilots always avoid people & property they can see... whilst wrestling with a stricken aircraft in impossible situations?
Either that, or they just get-out!

C24

Post by C24 » Sat May 28, 2016 3:31 pm

Can someone please confirm the colour of the Hi-vis jacket.

I still have the one issued to me when working at an airshow some years ago. Also, the old set of flying overalls. Only need to find the pair of boots and a deployed parachute.
:thumbs:
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sun May 29, 2016 6:13 pm

Just two people made it to the mound today and after a very long chat with a guy in hi-viz they left.
Does make me chuckle though. The fields are deemed dangerous yet people have been employed to police them. I wonder what risk assessment allowed these people to enter a place of danger as part of their job? :)

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun May 29, 2016 6:51 pm

This is getting a bit silly, isn't it? Surely it must be realised by anyone with a bit of commonsense that having two hundred people [lets say] in the naughty field poses more of a risk of injury than having two? That is why they were asked to leave, because permitting them to stay would leave it open to others to join them. Just in case you didn't know it it, being airside on any airfield has it's own dangers, but people are still get employed to be there, and are permitted to do so, but the public are not, or are you suggesting that because the workers are allowed to be in that position, then it is o.k. for you to be there??. I assume your comment re the risk assessment has to be tongue in cheek. I can also assure you that risk assessments are most certainly carried out. My wife is a Volunteer in the F.O.D tent on Airshow days, and even dealing with people, serving tea and coffee etc. has to have it's own risk assessment and training!!!

C24

Post by C24 » Mon May 30, 2016 3:42 pm

If the two hundred are standing close together there would be a higher risk but if they were say, one person per ten square metres, the risk would be reduced.
Jem60 is correct, the whole thing is silly and little to do with safety. It has kept several intelligent adults occupied over several days & the rest of us amused. ;)
C24.

Molitor5901

Post by Molitor5901 » Mon May 30, 2016 4:38 pm

So no CAA stopping the show.....

Much ado about nothing?

or will Mr Angry vent his spleen again?
Canon EOS 300D. 20D,50D,7D, Canon 10-18mm STM, Canon 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, 18-200mm IS, 70-300mm IS USM

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Tue May 31, 2016 5:01 pm

jem60 wrote:This is getting a bit silly, isn't it? Surely it must be realised by anyone with a bit of commonsense that having two hundred people [lets say] in the naughty field poses more of a risk of injury than having two? That is why they were asked to leave, because permitting them to stay would leave it open to others to join them. Just in case you didn't know it it, being airside on any airfield has it's own dangers, but people are still get employed to be there, and are permitted to do so, but the public are not, or are you suggesting that because the workers are allowed to be in that position, then it is o.k. for you to be there??. I assume your comment re the risk assessment has to be tongue in cheek. I can also assure you that risk assessments are most certainly carried out. My wife is a Volunteer in the F.O.D tent on Airshow days, and even dealing with people, serving tea and coffee etc. has to have it's own risk assessment and training!!!
For your information I was a paying member of the public on Sunday. I happen to know about Duxford and risk assessments, as an organisation I belong to enquired about having a fund raising stall and saw what IWM requires by way of risk assessments etc. I'm not quite sure what risk assessment would enable a worker policing the naughty field to avoid a plummeting warbird should the unthinkable happen, unless of course the assessment considers the event so unlikely that said workers are not putting themselves in positions of undue danger.

Northolt Nobbler

Post by Northolt Nobbler » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:16 pm

If the two hundred are standing close together there would be a higher risk but if they were say, one person per ten square metres, the risk would be reduced.
How does that work? Two hundred people at 10m apart covers a far greater area, thus creating a far greater risk to life.

Unless, of course, an aircraft stoofs in and only creates a hole 9.9m across with no additional debris at which pint it's all good...

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:50 pm

They are all standing in a line parallel to the centreline. ;)

Over to you " Northolt Nobbler " :D
C24.

Return to “Duxford Shows”