Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
scottoz8

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by scottoz8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:58 am

mark.alan.barnes wrote:
TankBuster wrote:I've just finished reading 'A Higher Call'. I couldn't put the book down, it is certainly one of the best aviation books I've ever read :thumbs:.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Call-Inc ... igher+call

Tankbuster
An excellent book

I remember coming across this story about five years ago when I was reading about another damaged B17.

Googling, 'Ye Older Pub B17 photo' staggering to think that Stigler didn't 'down' Brown's aircraft! Very emotional interview on YouTube too.

I will most certainly have to read that book. There was talk of a film too. Let's hope it doesn't turn into the awful mess that 'Red Tails' did.

grayson

Post by grayson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:34 pm

A query- I am looking for a modern military aircraft recognition book - ideally a page per plane with a bit of tech spec and with a good picture . Amazon has hordes of 'I flew a Starfighter and lived ' stuff but damned if I can find anything useful. Don't want an app etc - just a book ! Ideas please?

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:49 pm

grayson wrote:A query- I am looking for a modern military aircraft recognition book - ideally a page per plane with a bit of tech spec and with a good picture . Amazon has hordes of 'I flew a Starfighter and lived ' stuff but damned if I can find anything useful. Don't want an app etc - just a book ! Ideas please?
I know what you mean - when I grew up in the 60s & 70s we used the "Observers book of aircraft" series of books, they were all small books and easy to drop into your pocket when visiting an airfield. As far as I know there's nothing like them anymore - there's not really a market for them anymore as there's so few different types kicking about sadly.
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:02 pm

I've jsu finished reading 'Victor Boys', fantastic book showing just what an underrated aircraft the Victor was.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Sierra166

Post by Sierra166 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:42 am

Mike wrote:
grayson wrote:A query- I am looking for a modern military aircraft recognition book - ideally a page per plane with a bit of tech spec and with a good picture . Amazon has hordes of 'I flew a Starfighter and lived ' stuff but damned if I can find anything useful. Don't want an app etc - just a book ! Ideas please?
I know what you mean - when I grew up in the 60s & 70s we used the "Observers book of aircraft" series of books, they were all small books and easy to drop into your pocket when visiting an airfield. As far as I know there's nothing like them anymore - there's not really a market for them anymore as there's so few different types kicking about sadly.
I think the closest you'd be able to get is Jane's Aircraft Recognition (but that seems to get quite a lot of bashing these days) or the US Military document fm3-01-80 (google that) but the last publically released version was 2006, so may have some inaccuracies.

I think there's definitely a market for something that merges the two of them, in say a spiral bound book using the WEFT, or at least ANY, identification method.

Scott.
Manchester, near EGCB.
Uniden 3500/Yupiteru 7100 for milair
MicroADSB feeding Planeplotter (sharer s0).
RTL dongle feeding Planeplotter for local Mode-A/S traffic.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:01 pm

Good day Grayson,

You could try http://www.ianallanpublishing.com They may have some reprints and they several years ago were very helpful to me.
I still have some of my Observers series within twenty metres of where I sit. Quite where is another matter. All pre 1958. As Already commented, perfect for a cycling boy's pocket. Happy days :D
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Sparts99 wrote:I've jsu finished reading 'Victor Boys', fantastic book showing just what an underrated aircraft the Victor was.
Just got that one myself, its a great read so far! :thumb:

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:58 pm

It is a real eye opener, I read it 3 times. I'm currently re-reading 'Tornado F3: A Navigator's Eye on Britain's Last Interceptor' by David Gledhill. Pretty technical to begin with, for me at least. I bought it for the Kindle, the illustrations don't really work in the format, you can't read the nomenclature on the radar displays so trying to cross reference with the text is difficult. Having said that the explanation of the procurement process and how much it was accelerated for the Gulf War is very interesting. Again it seems we had a potential world beater that was constricted by budgetary restraints and poor specification in the original requirement, the various projects were completed to those specs but the specs weren't right. Had the F3 continued, avionics, counter measures and weapons fully developed, and re-engined with the same engines as the Typhoon as planned it would have had a much longer service life, possibly at the expense of the Typhoon ? Well worth a read.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:04 pm

Sparts99 wrote:I'm currently re-reading 'Tornado F3: A Navigator's Eye on Britain's Last Interceptor' by David Gledhill. . .
Ordered via Amazon just now! :lol:

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:00 pm

I must admit I read both Tornado Down and Team Tornado Last Year and I must admit I enjoyed the experience, although I prefered Team Tornado as I found the latter half of Tornado Down a little too graphic in their experiences. Good reading and well put together.......

Mikedee

Post by Mikedee » Sun May 15, 2016 4:46 pm

GLOSTER JAVELIN An Operational History.....by Michael Napier.....Exactly what it says on the cover....No :- Technical Jargon.....or Performance Figures ...or Numbers built of each mark ....etc ..etc BUT some very good and mostly previously unpublished photos on almost every page...especially the 45 aircraft Formations........It does list , serial numbers...marks...units and incidents / crashes of every aircraft built.......including (approx) 75 aircraft used for Research and Development before the majority of them went to squadrons.......

I was 14 when the first GA 5 prototype first flew and quickly became fascinated with ' The Flying Flat Iron ' at one time living within the F A W 9's circuit at Waterbeach eventually moving to within reach of Coltishall...Horsham st faith ...West Raynham..Javelin Heaven...The good old days ..my second favourite aircraft........enjoyed

garyscott

Post by garyscott » Thu May 26, 2016 6:13 am

Bombs Gone! by Dickie Parfitt, is a fantastic book about one mans war. Only 100 pages, but quite an insight. I cant recommend this enough.

:thumb:

quid21

Post by quid21 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:47 am

Just finished reading 'Into the black' by Ronald White, (author of the Vulcan XM603 I think) the story of Space Shuttle Columbia's first flight and the lead up to it. A must read for anyone interested in the DoD in space, spy satellites, Manned Orbiting Laboratory, and the Space Shuttle in General, Rockwell etc. :thumbs:

Great read.

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:10 pm

bought these at Newark a couple of weeks ago................. :D

my `boys` book collection is increasing.................... :)
Please feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699306@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony A700, A550, Minolta135,500 a/f mirror, Sigma 10-20,400, Sony 18-70,50, Tamron 17-50,28-300,70-300,90

scottoz8

Post by scottoz8 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:18 am

jem60 wrote:F.4 Phantom. A pilots story, by Robert Prest. Brillian book. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
an excellent read, met him at Leuchars

scottoz8

Post by scottoz8 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 am

Just finished reading the three books by David Gledhill,a former Phantom and Tornado F3 back seater; one on the Phantom :The Phantom in focus and the other two on the Tornado: Tornado F3 in focus and Fighters over the Falklands . All three are excellent reads, a bit dry in places ,as the author admits

Yorkshire82

Post by Yorkshire82 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:37 pm

Just finished APACHE OVER LIBYA by WILL LAIDLAW. Quite simply a stunning account of the AAC Apache operations on board HMS Ocean during the recent Libya conflict.
Like the author says in the book, all the attention goes to the hi-tech laser guided bombs dropped from 30,000ft in the media, with little about the Apache operations.
How we never lost a couple of Apaches during this conflict is beyond me...well, superb pilots and our own Defensive Aid Suite fitted on board play a massive part!
Lots of naysayers in the Army and beyond thinking `what a daft idea, helicopters at sea`,turns out, it is a superb idea!

I recommend this book if you`d like a real eye opener to the fighting that went on during this time, Afghanistan it certainly wasn't!

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 am

Finally read 'A Higher Call' then 'Wings on my Sleeve' and can gladly state that they are both excellent reads especially if read in that order.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:27 am

Have you read 'Sigh For A Merlin'? If you liked Wings On My Sleeve you'll like that too.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 am

Highy recommend "The First Heroes" the Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid by Craig Nelson. Read it whilst in Iraq when there was nothing else to do at night. So good I read it twice back to back.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”