Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Search facility for non-alphanumeric characters

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
rh226

Search facility for non-alphanumeric characters

Post by rh226 » Sat May 14, 2016 9:03 pm

I've just done a search on A41-208 (this evening's Aussie C-17 into Brize) and got the following response:
Information

No posts were found because the word a41-208 is not contained in any post.
The same thing happens if I put in a USAF serial, e.g. 63-8028 (today's RCH953 flight going home to Alaska) or a civilian registration (G-ZIOO, etc.). However, the search does work if I put in an RAF serial (e.g. ZK373). Therefore, it would appear that the dash must be a problem character.

Is there any chance that the forum search facility can be extended to accept keywords that contain non-alphanumeric characters like "-" (a dash)?
Cheers, Bob

big john

Re: Search facility for non-alphanumeric characters

Post by big john » Sun May 15, 2016 8:26 am

If you replace the dash with a space then it sort of works, but it finds everything before and after the dash as well as the complete serial and every other null character ie. / _ + . The same problem happens when people put the + in a German serial The space doesn't work because each word must consist of at least 3 characters and the space is not a character just a divider. and you get the reply to many instances found.
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Zymurgy661

Post by Zymurgy661 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:16 pm

I believe this is a restriction of the forum software we use in that hyphens are not accepted in the search string therefore nothing we can do. I will double check and look in to though

Easiest alternate would be to try a wildcard search on the largest part of the term you are looking for, i.e. *8028

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker » Tue May 17, 2016 6:53 am

It is a common forum limitation. That, and short search terms, like 3-letter words which would swamp the results. The usual alternative is to use google but restrict it to a particular site. Try the following in google

A41-208 site:fightercontrol.co.uk

rh226

Post by rh226 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 am

Thanks, stickshaker. :thumb: Will have to remember that one.
Cheers, Bob

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”