Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scottish International Airshow 2016

Post information on other airshows and events here.
Bluetail

Re: Scottish International Airshow 2016

Post by Bluetail » Mon May 09, 2016 12:24 pm

tomcat79uk wrote:Is there anyone here who paid the Ultimate ticket last year which is suppose to give you the best spot for photography.If so could you please post a photo from the area showing what sort of angles you where getting from the spot.

I grudge paying £100 for a 1 hour night shoot as would not go to the Ayr beach front as for me is way over crowded and fighting for space.

Much obliged

Scott
Scott

You're hardly likely to get any shots from inside Prestwick on Sunday because they parked Sally B directly in front of the enclosure, and it was so far back from the taxi way the Herris Fencing was also in the way. It was a complete rip off.
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Contrail1958

Post by Contrail1958 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:41 pm

Now Jim that's not going to help secure the funds for next year is it? :whistle:

hugh91

Post by hugh91 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:54 pm

After seeing around 10 buses costing a fortune and doing nothing in the car park last year the best way to sum up the organisers is C. N. O. A P. U. I. A B.

Contrail1958

Post by Contrail1958 » Mon May 09, 2016 8:43 pm

So what do you get for your five pounds in the mound car park?
There is no show at the airport so are there toilets or burger vans?
Who pockets this cash for??

Diamond Nine

Post by Diamond Nine » Mon May 09, 2016 9:24 pm

Having been a long time attendee at Leuchars Air show and being gutted when we lost the base and airshow.I was delighted when this Scottish Air Show popped up to help plug the gap.The first year was ok down at the beach,plenty of space for large crowds but i hated the Sunday at the Airport.All the fencing around the static aircraft was far too close and it was a nightmare for taking pics.There was so much space at Prestwick they could have pulled them back a little.Last year we did both days again.With the show starting with the beach assault and then stopping then restarting the show again only for it to stop again for another lengthy break and then the show ended close to six pm.Having kids with us made this one very long day and tough to keep them happy when there is nothing going on.Again we went to the Sunday event so staying over night in a local hotel,we left after a quick walk round.Again the fences were jammed up right next to most of the aircraft and again they had the stupid high fence down at the flightline,so its no surprise there was a turn down in numbers for the Sunday event as its just not worth it.We nipped round to the mound and spent a great day there watching all the comings and goings.

I pray this years show has no lengthy gaps its we just hate it!!My kid liked the Sunday as he gets to meet the crews and such but there is no way i would pay the money for what there offering.

I totally agree with one of the recent comments,If the show organizers have the right sponsorship in place there is no need to be looking for extra cash.Just look at the Sunderland Airshow.Ive been attending that for over 15 years now.All i pay is a couple of pounds to park the car and a fiver for a program.They don't go looking for cash from people and the show has been pretty big in the past.

If they made where you could watch the comings and goings to PortRush from inside the airport on the sunday and getting to walk round the static am sure more people would turn up rather then go to the mound but the mound offers great views so thats where i'll be the year on the sunday.

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Tue May 10, 2016 6:00 am

Contrail1958 wrote:So what do you get for your five pounds in the mound car park?
There is no show at the airport so are there toilets or burger vans?
Who pockets this cash for??
Morning , For £5 at the mound you get to park your car , You also get the comings and goings of all aircraft with some doing a low pass on return (If they are landing from the land) , If they are landing from the sea then you won't get anything at the mound as all aircraft would land then turn off the runway way before the mound.

Is there toilets and food vans yes and no.On the Friday last year there was nothing , However on the Saturday there was an ice cream van and also a burger van , hot dog van.You had 3 portable toilets that are placed at the back end of the car park.

It was very busy last year I reckon there was at least 800 - 1,000 people on the mound on the Saturday.

With the new CAA regulations in force then the flying display is going to be even further away at Ayr Beach this year and with what looks like most of the stuff flying on the Friday night then the Saturday could be a long day.

American warbirds are all down for the Friday night but as of yet there is no sign of then flying on the Saturday.

That being said there is suppose to be extra aircraft announced in the next few weeks , I think this depends on early ticket sales though.

Contrail1958

Post by Contrail1958 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:00 pm

So being a local lad even before the "mound" was even there should I or anyone
Pay £5 for a waste sight which at best is a truck stop for trailers .
There is no I repeat no show on for those at the mound.
Various visitors have come and gone and well advertised to create crowds .
Why are some people milking the public for this event ??
The f-18's the Nasa aircraft the list goes on, total rip off !!
These aircraft are just refuelling and night stopping so what's different from
normal?
Or maybe for the usual traffic ie..the daily Rynair we should pay £5.

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Tue May 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Contrail1958 wrote:So being a local lad even before the "mound" was even there should I or anyone
Pay £5 for a waste sight which at best is a truck stop for trailers .
There is no I repeat no show on for those at the mound.
Various visitors have come and gone and well advertised to create crowds .
Why are some people milking the public for this event ??
The f-18's the Nasa aircraft the list goes on, total rip off !!
These aircraft are just refuelling and night stopping so what's different from
normal?
Or maybe for the usual traffic ie..the daily Rynair we should pay £5.
Ayrshire Council pocket all monies from those at the mound to see aircraft leave and arrive on the show days.

It is a total rip off as it is free every other day of the year and as you have already said there has been some special aircraft in here over the last 18 months or so which was all free.I thought the money went to the Airshow but one of the show runners has said that the council take all fund from the "mound" car parking.This was free on the Friday last year then £5 on the Saturday and Sunday I believe.

Another council rip off who are looking to make a quick buck.

Not sure the Friday night tickets are selling well either as the night shoot is for over 18's only which OK I can understand but what about the likes of me and others who will be taking kids on the Friday??.This then means I and other's are being ruled out basically to attend the night shoot.

Not very well organized at all in my book and unless they can pull off one or 2 major aircraft then they are going to have a quite show.

Mustang and the B-25 are probably the pick of those going at the moment.

Apparently it is new members that are running the show this year and have only been in the job for 5 months , They might be out of a job in 5 months if there planning falls flat on it's face.

Ryan22

Post by Ryan22 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:53 pm

I just can't seem to get enthused at all about this airshow this year. Last year was OK, took a trip down with my little boy on the Friday night and went home on the Sunday night. We stayed at the same hotel as most of the crews, so my son was delighted about that. The Saturday was a decent enough day but long gaps in between as Diamond Nine mentioned weren't great for keeping a young child entertained! The static display on the Sunday was good in some respects, for example meeting the likes of Jonny Dowen and my son getting to see the 41 Sqn special tail Typhoon close up thanks to Jim Peterson opening the pedestrian barrier, however the Heras fencing spoiled a lot of photo opportunities. With no static display this year, I might just give the event a miss, at the risk of an irate 7 year old!

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst » Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Diamond Nine wrote: I pray this years show has no lengthy gaps its we just hate it!!
Most of the gaps were not planned. Bear in mind that a lot of stuff had to be reshuffled for various reasons - e.g. the Red's ran late, Sally B was tech for most of the day & we were lucky that she arrived at all & then of course the Vulcan's little issue took quite a while as it stooged around & then closed the runway for a bit. (not to mention the local police commander who was upset with the Marines using pyro when it had been agreed & briefed for months with Police Scotland's events unit - whoops, I just did :Oops: ).

There was (& I imagine will be this year) a planned gap over lunch a) so that people can eat lunch & b) give people a chance to spend money at the attractions, stalls etc.
It's those traders paying fees that (along with sponsors & volunteers) allows for the airshow to be free to the public so the traders have to be given a chance to get a return - you might not like it but it is commercial reality.

As for the fencing etc. on the Sunday that was down to the airport operations side.

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Thu May 12, 2016 8:44 am

tomcat79uk wrote:Is there anyone here who paid the Ultimate ticket last year which is suppose to give you the best spot for photography.If so could you please post a photo from the area showing what sort of angles you where getting from the spot.

I grudge paying £100 for a 1 hour night shoot as would not go to the Ayr beach front as for me is way over crowded and fighting for space.

Much obliged

Scott
Would be interested to hear feedback here too. We had to pull the plug on our RIAT trip this year so it looks like TSIA will be our only show in 2016. The £100 ticket is very steep, but could maybe be worth it if the spots it offers are good (and if the lineup expands over the next few weeks).

Are the daytime spots for displays good? And were previous night shoots well set up?

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun May 29, 2016 8:53 am

SWAFHF have the show down as cancelled? :(

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:03 pm

MRTT wrote:SWAFHF have the show down as cancelled? :(

Would not surprise me to see this cancelled , As the new management team are more interested in bringing Cargo flights back to Prestwick at the moment and do not seem to be interested or have the time to actually run this years Show.Everything seems rushed and as far as I am aware the early ticket sales have been very poor.This was also the week there was suppose to be a few tasty additions which where being judged on ticket sales.

ChrisG

Post by ChrisG » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:12 pm

I think all the UK Swedish Historic Flight appearances will be cancelled as the CAA appear to have an issue with the pilots DA's.

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:14 pm

ChrisG wrote:I think all the UK Swedish Historic Flight appearances will be cancelled as the CAA appear to have an issue with the pilots DA's.
They have the Great air fete at Yorkshire down as cancelled though and that show has been cancelled

davidoFI

Post by davidoFI » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:22 pm

The Facebook page recently posted about the B25 flying both days so I doubt the whole show has been cancelled. Plus the swahf calendar should always be taken with a pinch of salt as its not the most clear or accurate one, it even listed the low green as being in Portrush ;)

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:10 pm

Scottish Airshow say the show is on and are not happy that Swedish Historic flight website has it as cancelled as they where never in talks to bring them back over this year.

Anyway there is another announcement to be made shortly with aircraft add-ons.

tomcat79uk

Post by tomcat79uk » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Announcement tonight on more aircraft that will be attending the show and at least one of them will be a first timer for the show.

davidoFI

Post by davidoFI » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:07 pm

Based on talk on the Facebook page, Norwegian Air Force Historical Squadron Vampires & Mig-15 to be confirmed.

Golfer

Post by Golfer » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:56 pm

Now confirmed on Airshow Facebook,2 Vampires & Mig 15 of Norwegian Historic Flight.Personally,would rather have their T33 making an appearance along with a Vamp & Mig.

Return to “Other Airshows & Events”