Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section access

A forum for us to keep you informed on the latest updates on the FC website and forums.
AeroResource

Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section access

Post by AeroResource » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:31 pm

As many will know, access to certain areas of the Fighter Control forums is restricted to only registered and signed in members. This primarily relates to the monitoring sections where it is felt that access to the information posted should be a benefit provided through being a member and contributing to the forum. With the membership growing, the decision has been taken to review the access to certain areas, especially the ‘UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT’ section.

Therefore, effective immediately for new forum members, a minimum post count requirement has been added before access to this section is granted. Currently, this is set to 5 posts but will be reviewed as time progresses. In the coming weeks this will also be retrospectively applied to all existing members who have less than 5 posts.

For the vast majority of members who regularly visit the forum, this change will have no impact at all. For those that currently don’t meet the minimum post count then we don’t think that 5 posts is a difficult criteria to meet however we don’t expect people to ‘spam’ to the limit and stop. We shall monitor if this happens over the new few weeks.

Hopefully this is self-explanatory but ask below if further clarification is needed.

big john

Re: Changes to the UK Heads Up, Movements & OTT section acce

Post by big john » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:09 pm

Good Idea. Now if you could block those who hide their id's which I presume are those that show as guests in the section, I just wonder what they have to hide?
rgds
BJ
Always Watching: Always Listening
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Horty652

Post by Horty652 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:22 am

I'm sorry but I don't understand why this has to be implemented,surely if the info is already on the site and you are a registered member,there is no reason to set a limit. Personally I am grateful to members who have the equipment & time to monitor our airspace,as a user who really reads the blogs for interest only and is not in a position to add any pertinent information, I feel somewhat peeved at the prospect of loosing the facility.
Anyone else feel the same? Regards PH.

Skymaster

Post by Skymaster » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:38 am

I believe that the original thinking behind 'minimum number of posts' access, is to deter spammers.

Unless the site is being spammed, I don't see the point.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:33 am

It might also be to deter those who might poach information from here and then re-broadcast it as their own - without giving credit to FC. Such people would usually contribute absolutely nothing to the site.

However, I can see that any unscrupulous new members (and I'm not saying that we do have any) could just post meaningless "garbage" contributions just to get their "post count" up.

I do have a bit of sympathy for people like "Horty652" (two posts above). However, if such members do have the time to log in to the Forum and read everything, they should also have the time to be able to log into, and casually monitor, radar tracking apps (like adsbexchange.com) and then, who knows, they might even be able to contribute something pertinent. I do not think that they really can hide behind the "I haven't got the time or the equipment" argument. There must be a lot of members who have to allocate their time between work, family, pleasure, hobby, etc and manage quite successfully to achieve the right balance. Sorry, Horty, but I think that it a case of each of us making the most efficient use of the time available to be spent on our hobby.

Just my thoughts and not intended to be a slur on any existing members - new or not so new. :)
Last edited by rh226 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Bob

Horty652

Post by Horty652 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:55 am

Bob,
Point taken,but surely any really dedicated monitors will already have noted anything of interest on other Tracking sites,and that would only duplicate information and possible annoy "people in the know" and also be used as a means for gaining "post count" points which could clog up the system with useless information. PH

rh226

Post by rh226 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:59 pm

Things do get missed, Horty, e.g. the Kuwaiti C-17 out of Prestwick late this morning. Or, they might even get left - so that others can post and derive satisfaction from being able to contribute something worthwhile to the Forum. Others possibly like you??? :thumb:

It doesn't matter if it is one of the "dedicated monitors", or a complete novice who makes a post containing new information - so long as that new information gets posted by somebody. After all, that is the purpose of the Forum - to share information, no matter how small, so long as it is relevant. "People in the know" are not going to be annoyed because someone else beat them to the post.

So, chin up, have confidence, and you will soon be posting like a "pro". :thumbs:
Cheers, Bob

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:31 pm

Must admit I often feel that the greater knowledge and equipment of other group members, often leads to me sitting back and just enjoying the group. I fear that with little or nothing to ad,d me posting. rather than adding, could distract from the main info and lead to a rambling (facebook like) thread.

I really do enjoy the info provided its amazing how the hobby has changed in the last 25-30 years. All my info used to come from phone calls via a friend of a friend, then strobe and mar (waiting a month or six weeks for a tie-up). Having read rh226/bobs post maybe its important to remember to share something coz if nobody did it would be awfully quiet around here!!

Finally a big thanks to the guys that do have the time, money and inclination to post here it is enjoyed by many that maybe do remain too silent.

Horty652

Post by Horty652 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Totally agree with jakdaw,thanks to all members, posters or not. also have to concur with rh226, although a bit patronising. maybe I should try and make more of an effort after all it should be joy not a trial.
Regards PH

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Unfortunately, a small number of members (and I'm sure many know who they are) appear to take great deal of delight in criticising others for a post that may prove to be incorrect, even when clearly to get information in the domain, the post may have been done quickly.

I'm sure this may well put others off from posting at all.

Control

Post by Control » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:21 pm

I'm with Horty652 on this one.
For me it is just a *hobby*. Due to work commitments and ill health I don't have the time to watch the skies the way I'd like to.
It's just a quick browse round the site to see what is flying about and a peek at the pictures, the quality of which I could never get close to.

For all those who do post - Thank You
For those of you trying to make money - Good Luck

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 pm

I thought this to be a very friendly site and I intend to post here more as the better weather comes and air shows start up.
Not that I use the section in question much, if at all, but this move appears a little bit elitist in terms of the post count.
I and I suspect others regularly review photos and posts without logging in, it's a bind unless you have something to post and none of my password are saved to log in automatically.

Post number 6 since joining at Christmas.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

redhead

Post by redhead » Sun May 01, 2016 2:29 pm

i agree with control on this one, not all of us have lots of time on our hands to follow our hobbie and are able to post on this site.

RACER51

Post by RACER51 » Sun May 01, 2016 3:19 pm

idea seems to me darft and petty

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun May 01, 2016 4:10 pm

Racer51 / Control etc

Why is it daft? At least one other aviation forum has a 50 post minimum to get access to the movement section. At their peak they also has the policy of deleting accounts if the user didn't log in within a certian time. I'm talking about days or weeks rather than months or years

The new limit isn't just about spammers, it's also can be used to combat people like journalists from gaining info straight away when something happens like the HH-60, F-15 or F-18 crashes etc. Ask the admin the number of sign ups drastically increases when something happens. The admin usually don't accept the day of the story but jurnos are still sniffing around the day after.

Control, not sure who you think are trying to make money out of the forum?
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

RACER51

Post by RACER51 » Sun May 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Gary.Think you answered the petty question

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun May 01, 2016 5:02 pm

The staff can't be online 24/7 and spammers still make it through the filtering process. We have a great membership who will report any spammers within minutes.This isn't about being petty or elitist the main reason is to stop spammers, as per the first post. As current member(s) it doesn't affect you.

I have to ask, with the petty remake, you have no issue with the likes of journo logging on and taking info from the forum, sometimes out of context something quoting a post word for word?
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sun May 01, 2016 5:19 pm

Gary, I understand now following your explanation. Thanks

EGVP wrote:Ironically, those posting in here to complain are actually increasing their post count such that they will gain access. Might be worth noting, Gary.
Not necessarily!
Last edited by XWP29 on Mon May 02, 2016 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

POL

Post by POL » Mon May 02, 2016 2:07 pm

Ironically, those posting in here to complain are actually increasing their post count such that they will gain access. Might be worth noting, Gary.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

That's not ironical.

Return to “Fighter Control and Forum Technical Information”