Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Oshkosh 2016

Post your Rest of the World Airshow news, updates and rumours in here
iskra750

Oshkosh 2016

Post by iskra750 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Evening Folks,

I am looking for advice on booking Oshkosh 2016, any that can be given and greatly appreciated. I have been to the EAA website and can book the tickets on there I am just after advice on which airport to come into, I am looking at ORD or MSP then hiring a car and driving over to the Oshkosh area and staying on a hotel.

Any advice on what to expect during the stay and any big do's and dont's.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Iskra750

Spotterwatch Co-Ordinator

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

warferry

Re: Oshkosh 2016

Post by warferry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:08 pm

General rule go in on day before opening,lots arrive early, M.S.P used by me as cheaper than Chicago. Stayed well North at Green-Bay good road down.
If over for a good while do your homework on other fields to visit some super places. Don't miss the splash in . Good luck you will want to go again.

iskra750

Post by iskra750 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:40 pm

Thanks for the info warferry
Iskra750

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:33 pm

Been to Oshkosh couple of times. Never stayed in Motels in the local area, they fill up quick and thus can be expensive and I guess traffic / car parking can be a nightmare (?) I have used the University campus student accommodation, cheap, cheerfull, ensuite rooms, full canteen on site, pretty 24/7. Best bit shuttle coach service to Wittman field, think I had to pay, but got a weeks travel pass. Get advance tickets from EAA for the number of days you wish to attend, then you are fast tracked on arrival. Minimum three days required to see even half the event, agree with attending early part of the week as some stuff does not hang around to the weekend. Splash in is great fun, and EAA run a bus from Wittman field. Not sure about any out lying airfields or places to visit.

iskra750

Post by iskra750 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Many thanks Doughnut, I am now looking at the University campus as well as you say it has everything you need
Iskra750

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:29 pm

Used to go every two years from 1999to 20011. There is good advice here from people here already. If using O'Hare, don't book a large hire car. My friend and I always booked a small one, and ended up being given a bigger one, because by the time the European flights arrive, hire firms have run out of their small car fleets, and are obliged to upgrade you free, although they will try and get you to buy an upgrade when you report at their office. This is a ploy. Do not pay for the upgrade.
We used the Sundowner Motel in Montello, Wisconsin, a town on merely 1100 people. Really cheap, and a lovely morning drive of 50 miles to Oshlosh, with beautiful country and no traffic. We always arrived about 9am, traffic no problem in or out. Be prepared for occasional very high temperatures [105 degs on my first visit], and have good trainers. There is a lot of walking to be done. It will also pay you to buy a collapsible chair. Hav fun, you will think you have died and gone to heaven when you see what's there on your first visit!. Regards, John.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Used to go every two years from 1999to 20011. There is good advice here from people here already. If using O'Hare, don't book a large hire car. My friend and I always booked a small one, and ended up being given a bigger one, because by the time the European flights arrive, hire firms have run out of their small car fleets, and are obliged to upgrade you free, although they will try and get you to buy an upgrade when you report at their office. This is a ploy. Do not pay for the upgrade.
We used the Sundowner Motel in Montello, Wisconsin, a town of merely 1100 people. Really cheap, and a lovely morning drive of 50 miles to Oshlosh, with beautiful country and no traffic. We always arrived about 9am, traffic no problem in or out. Be prepared for occasional very high temperatures [105 degs on my first visit], and have good trainers. There is a lot of walking to be done. It will also pay you to buy a collapsible chair. Have fun, you will think you have died and gone to heaven when you see what's there on your first visit!. Regards, John.

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:04 pm

Another option not mentioned is a room in a private house (as advertised via the EAA website).
Last time, we stayed around a mile to the South, and were offered home cooking as well. Why drive 100 miles every day?!
Dieu et mon droit. In hoc signo vinces

iskra750

Post by iskra750 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Thanks for the advice guys greatly appreciated
Iskra750

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

The Cameraman

Post by The Cameraman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:04 am

Hi Iskra,

My suggestions would be;

1, to use the rooms available with the local homes, as it's well priced, local and you get all the benefits of their knowledge. The on street car parking restrictions are wavered for the event.

2, consider doing volunteer work at the show I worked flight line op's each day for at least the first 2 hours, which gave me wonderful close up access to the runways/taxiways. You then get free access to the show and put a bit back into aviation and their free 'Operation Thirst' snack delivery really helps you maintain your fluid levels.

3, use the free tractor tram service where you can, as you'll be amazed just how far you walk in the day.

4, drink loads of water and use factor 50 sun protection.

5, don't try to do everything. I was there for the week before and the week after the show in 2012 and I didn't see everything!

6, don't miss the firework show.

7, dress for hot but be ready for short downpours and alway, repeat always have a hat that gives neck protection, as if you're a photographer like me then you could end up with a burnt neck.

8, don't forget to take the short bus ride to the seaplane base, which is circa $3 round trip. It's an oasis of calm!

Hope this helps.

Regards

Reggie

iskra750

Post by iskra750 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:33 am

Reggie,

Many thanks for the advice greatly appreciated.

Steve
Iskra750

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

Skydave

Post by Skydave » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Hi, I volunteer there every year. There is a lot of good info on here already but here's a couple of more things to think about.

- Consider volunteering ,it can help with the ticket cost
- what about camping, the camp Scholler campsite is 2 miles square and the show doesn't stop once the flying display finishes. I do photography when I'm there and I'm. On the ramp at 530am through to 830pm. When flying finishes there are rock concerts, lectures and aviation movies to watch, Eaa provide the popcorn!
- there are restruants on the airfield you and eat at , alternatively just off the us45 therre are loads of eating houses
- hotels, Motel6 at Oshkosh or I went to Appleton last year, great if you are on a budget
- I fly to Chicago then drive north, it's only a 3 hour drive
- This is my 9th time at OSH if you need any more info drop me a line

Hope this helps

Dave

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:25 am

Some news of one of the first 'big' items for this year's show, is this bad boy... http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... hkosh-2016

"April 14, 2016 - The gigantic Martin Mars aircraft, the world’s largest flying water bomber and the last of its kind, will make its first trip to Wisconsin to participate at EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2016. During the event, the massive airplane will be parked near the EAA Seaplane Base on Lake Winnebago, just a few miles east of the main fly-in grounds. It will also fly several demonstrations throughout the week during the daily afternoon air shows.
“This is the last flying Mars in the world and the largest warbird ever built,” said Wayne Coulson, chief executive officer of Coulson Flying Tankers. “There isn’t a better aviators venue than EAA AirVenture, so it’s an honor to be part of this world-class event. We’re very excited to bring the Hawaii Mars to Oshkosh as we look for new opportunities and host potential clients, as well as showcase this magnificent airplane’s capabilities.”
As the Martin Mars is a true flying boat, it cannot land at Wittman Regional Airport and will instead land on Lake Winnebago. The exact arrival and air show demonstration dates will be announced as they are finalized."

Jazz

Post by Jazz » Sat May 21, 2016 12:59 pm

More recent news for here, is the attendance of the only airworthy Douglas A-20 Havoc, from the Lewis Air Legends collection...
http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-ai ... re-oshkosh
Then, as well as B-29 'Fifi' being confirmed (which will also operate rides from nearby Appleton Airport on the Tuesday-Thursday), there will now be new hope that B-29 'Doc' can also finally attend, now that the FAA have just deemed the aircraft airworthy...
http://www.b-29doc.com/2016/05/20/faa-d ... -imminent/
There is also word of more QF-4's this year, following last years attendance. This will of course be a 'last chance', prior to their retirement later this year :thumb:

iskra750

Post by iskra750 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:38 pm

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.
Iskra750

Bearcat
Canon EOS 40D
Sigma 75-300mm

Return to “Rest of the World Airshows”