Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Stroudy

Re: Turkish F-16 shoots down Russian SU-24 over border

Post by Stroudy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:10 am

Some pretty clear pictures of the Fencer on fire at altitude. First one is like nothing ive personally ever seen.

https://twitter.com/HaberturkTV/status/ ... wsrc%5Etfw

SeanW

Re: Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

Post by SeanW » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:25 am

Gary wrote:Cameron has offered the French the use of RAF Akrotiri to bomb Syria

Prime Minister David Cameron has announced that Britain is going to let France use its RAF base, RAF Akrotiri in Cyprus for bombing raids against Islamic State in Syria.

RAF Akrotiri is a large Royal Air Force station. It is located in the Western Sovereign Base Area, one of two areas which comprise Akrotiri and Dhekelia, a British Overseas Territory, administered as a Sovereign Base Area. It is one of the few full-scale RAF stations left outside the United Kingdom.

Akrotiri has played a crucial role during Britain’s recent operations in the Middle East. During both major campaigns against Iraq, in 1991 and 2003, and also during the no-fly zone operations between, it operated as a staging post for British forces en route to the region.

A constant problem of airfields located outside the territory of the country whose forces are based there is that of overflight rights. The UK has a treaty with Cyprus that guarantees British access to Akrotiri in any circumstances. Under the treaty, the stations employ many locals and contribute to the local economy.
Info from UK Defence Journal
Is that the very same RAF Akitori that we are currently housing around 350-450 Migrants that washed ashore there and have made camp in a hangar with heating etc supplied by the RAF ! i cant wait fro the new years eve party there !

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:34 pm

Photo's / video doing the rounds, appears to show one of the Russian aircrew dead surrounded by armed rebels
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:54 pm

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Lofty89

Post by Lofty89 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

One of the Russian rescue helicopters hit by a TOW missile while searching for the Su-24 pilots, has made an emergency landing in a rebel held area.

Last edited by Lofty89 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

T_J

Post by T_J » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:19 pm

SeanW wrote:
Is that the very same RAF Akitori that we are currently housing around 350-450 Migrants that washed ashore there and have made camp in a hangar with heating etc supplied by the RAF ! i cant wait fro the new years eve party there !
SBA migrants moved from Akrotiri to Dhekelia

The 114 migrants who landed at Akrotiri last week were on Tuesday moved to Dhekelia within Britain’s Sovereign Base Area (SBA).

A spokesperson for the British Bases in Cyprus said in a statement: “We can confirm that the migrants have been moved to a temporary transit facility to provide more suitable accommodation. Base operations continue to be unaffected and are running as normal.

“The UK government has been clear that it will not allow a new migrant route to open up to the UK. We will continue to work closely with the Cypriot authorities.”

The migrants have been put up in lodgings outside the perimeter of the Dhekelia military base. The lodgings avail of facilities catering to vulnerable persons such as children, the spokesperson said.

They are not staying in Richmond Village, an ex servicemen’s quarter within Dhekelia SBA.

Richmond Village is where sixty-six Iraqi and Syrian Kurds, who washed ashore at RAF Akrotiri back in 1998, are currently living.
http://cyprus-mail.com/2015/10/27/sba-m ... -dhekelia/

eggchaser

Post by eggchaser » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:27 pm

I suspect the French may be happy enough with the use of CDG, but we'll see. It's the thought that counts.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:42 pm

I guess having Dave offer Cyprus will give the French additional options as regards aircraft.

thommg

Post by thommg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:45 pm

The rebel group known as the Syrian Turkmen Army has told the Reuters news agency that its forces shot the two Russian pilots dead as they descended by parachute....which I think is a war crime under the Geneva Convention of 1949.

Article 42: 1. No person parachuting from an aircraft in distress shall be made the object of attack during his descent.

(However, airborne forces - paratroops - are a legitimate target in the law of war under any circumstances)
Uniden UBC 3500XLT
Winradio G303e +Wellbrook ALA 1530 Loop
Planeplotter (Mode-S Mlat G/S)
Canon 12 x 36 Stabilised Binox

dannyboyo20

Post by dannyboyo20 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Videos also circulating of the above pictured Russian heli being blown up by rebels. Not good :(

Video is being played on Sky News
Danny Banks,Newcastle-upon-Tyne
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dannyboyo20
http://groups.google.com/group/north-ea ... -movements

Canon EOS 5D MkIV
Canon 100-400 F4-5.6 II IS L
Canon 70-200 F4 L IS
Canon 1.4x III
Patience & Optimism!

razor23uk

Post by razor23uk » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:11 pm

This is not a good situation. I won't pretend I know enough about all the politics out there, but surely there will be a knock on from these actions by the Russians?....scary stuff indeed.
Scanning daily. 3500xlt with antenna 90ft up a silo.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:12 pm

RIP to the Russian crew who for whatever reason perished this morning.

The footage of the Russian helo is possibly un-related or fake.

Updated - good news that the second crew member has been handed back alive.
Last edited by page_verify on Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:49 pm

If the above image is of the actual flight track as the Turks say it is, then I fail to see why Turkey thought it necessary to shoot down an a/c in what is known to be a "can worms waiting to be opened" scenario, unfortunately Turkey have now opened that can and it will NATO that will have to bear the burden. Lets hope that Putin plays this cool and doesn't over react.

clarke

Post by clarke » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:02 pm

Hi this is not the first time this has happened
the russians are doing what they do best push their luck the drip drip effect ongoing since 1945
Dave-c

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:10 pm

Some interesting feeds about this on ATS as well.

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

markranger

Post by markranger » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Thunder wrote:Image

If the above image is of the actual flight track as the Turks say it is, then I fail to see why Turkey thought it necessary to shoot down an a/c in what is known to be a "can worms waiting to be opened" scenario, unfortunately Turkey have now opened that can and it will NATO that will have to bear the burden. Lets hope that Putin plays this cool and doesn't over react.
Although I agree to a point I do wonder what would happen if the west kept flying into Russian Territory many times after being warned not in the past when they have.

Mark.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

C-Harvey

Post by C-Harvey » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:02 pm

Please define the word "rebel(s)" when you make a post. I get confused who side these various people are fight ing for/with.

:'(
Remember; learn by rote. ;-)

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:31 pm

C-Harvey wrote:Please define the word "rebel(s)" when you make a post. I get confused who side these various people are fight ing for/with.

and that my friend is the whole problem in this cluster **** of a saga, 'who's who and who's supporting who'. Unless the politicians get round the table and find a common cause then this is going to end up one very dangerous mess.

thommg

Post by thommg » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:43 pm

C-Harvey wrote:Please define the word "rebel(s)" when you make a post. I get confused who side these various people are fight ing for/with.

In relation to the Syrian Turkmen Army, they are Syrians but ethnic Turks and are rebelling against the Ba'athist regime of Bashar al-Assad. As they are Syrian participants in the war we can use the term 'rebels'. They are getting backing from Turkey and it's thought there are elements from the Turkish Special Forces Command embedded within their units. Their weapons come from Turkey too. :ninja:

As for ISIL, well the vast majority of them aren't Syrian, so it's hard to call them rebels. They are more 'enemy combatants' or 'foreign fighters'.
Uniden UBC 3500XLT
Winradio G303e +Wellbrook ALA 1530 Loop
Planeplotter (Mode-S Mlat G/S)
Canon 12 x 36 Stabilised Binox

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Cornish-guy wrote:Some interesting feeds about this on ATS as well.

C.
Would take what you read on there with a pinch of salt :lol:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”