Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF VIP Transport

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Mike

Re: RAF VIP Transport

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

martmpf wrote:Don't they lease one out to Thompson's for holiday traffic anyway?

Mart
Air Tanker have leased G-VYGK to Thomas Cook until 2018, it's RAF serial will be ZZ340 (if ever used). :)
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Mike, wrong holiday company :'(

An internal VIP passenger fit to an existing passenger fitted A330 seems logical to me. Will arrive in RAF colours instead of BA who fit out for VIP anyway for a Spanish company's profit.

Mart

POL

Post by POL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:16 pm

You've lost me with where BA come in to this, Mart?

I'd imagine AirTanker will sub-contract the interior fitting based on tender, but if they don't it'll probably head back to Tolouse for outfitting there.

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:22 pm

EGVP wrote:You've lost me with where BA come in to this, Mart?

I'd imagine AirTanker will sub-contract the interior fitting based on tender, but if they don't it'll probably head back to Tolouse for outfitting there.
I mean that in general when the PM or others arrive at distant destinations, it is generally in a chartered BA aircraft. Hence profit to the Spanish owners.

They do "Fly The Flag"?

Mart

POL

Post by POL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:24 pm

Ahh, gotcha! I thought you meant that BA would be outfitting the aircraft - got you now! :)

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:25 pm

EGVP wrote:You've lost me with where BA come in to this, Mart?

It could even go to Toulouse (or Finkenwerder). :whistle: :P

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:47 pm

I understand the BA "Government" chartered aircraft for these jobs often are internally refitted for the job, in layout, seat quality and probably partitions/doors. But not a big deal using the existing fittings. They are not equipped with any other special equipment, electronics, I think?

As all the "RAF" A330's tankers are now operated by a private company (Air Tankers), any money spent on a refit of one will make a profit for them, as well as whoever actually does the work. That's what privatisation is! Saves taxpayers money?

Prefer RAF myself.

Mart

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:55 pm

martmpf wrote: Hence profit to the Spanish owners.
IAG is a British company that owns BA and Iberia.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:05 pm

TonyO wrote:
From Wiki, but I believe it is correct:

"Structure and headquarters.

IAG is incorporated in Spain as a Sociedad Anónima, its board meetings are held in Madrid and its tax domicile is in Spain".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... ines_Group

The operational headquarters is in London, but that arrangement was part of the carve-up an to satisfy the EU and both governments with regard to merger regulations and monopolies.

That looks Spanish to me!

Mike

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:16 pm

The RAF VIP transport has got nothing to do with IAG !

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Reference to BA/IAG was to the existing government VIP charter arrangement, generally with BA.

The current proposal to go to RAF marked but Air Tanker operated A330's does make some sense to me.

EGDR

Post by EGDR » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:44 pm

AirTanker operate the civilian registered A330s, the RAF operates the military registered ones (although they are still AirTanker owned).

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:51 pm

KyleG wrote:AirTanker operate the civilian registered A330s, the RAF operates the military registered ones (although they are still AirTanker owned).
Thanks for that clarification KyleG. Do you know if any of the civilian A330's are in RAF markings, are they tankers?

Mart

POL

Post by POL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm

When the Voyager KC.2 or KC.3 is handed back to AirTanker, it has its refuelling equipment removed, its RAF titles removed, an AirTanker logo and titles added, and is registered on the UK civilian register as an A330-243.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:17 pm

martmpf wrote:
TonyO wrote:
From Wiki, but I believe it is correct:

"Structure and headquarters.

IAG is incorporated in Spain as a Sociedad Anónima, its board meetings are held in Madrid and its tax domicile is in Spain".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internati ... ines_Group

The operational headquarters is in London, but that arrangement was part of the carve-up an to satisfy the EU and both governments with regard to merger regulations and monopolies.

That looks Spanish to me!
IAG is listed on London and Spanish markets, with owners shareholders across Europe and further, QATAR own 10% of IAG, it is symbolically HQ'd in Spain but the real centre is at LHR, as said above. It's no more Spanish than English or otherwise and the largest shareholding is in the UK.

Snoop 95

Post by Snoop 95 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Now that the decision is made I hope they do a proper job and give it a smart paint scheme; perhaps something like the VC10's when they were in service as passenger/cargo transports. If I now put my 'realist' hat on I think they probably feel they have been quite adventurous in floating the idea without going too far!

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:59 am

They could call it - Cameron Airways the Airline that gives you less and takes more........

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

apgphoto

Post by apgphoto » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:05 am

Any interior conversion will be done by Air Tanker at Brize, just as they did with the TCX conversion

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:06 am

What has this to do with the Strategic Defence Review? The decision has already been announced and has been on the back burners for a considerable time.

No doubt the operation will be similar to that which BA used to use, a section of the plane can be re-configured in a relatively short space of time with kit stored in a nearby warehouse.

Paul

Wingman_90

Post by Wingman_90 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:08 pm

Interesting document released this week (via FOIA), when considering the future of the 146s in relation to the new VIP Voyager...
RAF Northolt Sale Preparation: Consultancy Advice Procurement

The Ministry of Defence (MOD), as part of its Asset Management Programme, is seeking advice on a range of options for the future development of RAF Northolt. One of the options that the department is considering is the sale of the site and conversion into a civilian operated airport.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... dacted.pdf
Last edited by Wingman_90 on Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Wingman Niner Zero

Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
Lenses: 14-45mm, 100-300mm, 14mm pancake, 7.5mm fisheye

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/wingman_90

Follow me on Twitter @RAF_Simmer

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”