Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
ARK14

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by ARK14 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 pm

Offenberg biography also good.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Skywatcher wrote: Highly recommend this book.
All the very best as always
Max
I'll second that, recently picked up a copy myself from WHS. Cracking book :thumb:

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:19 am

For anyone with a Kindle, one of today's deals via Amazon is

Most Dangerous Enemy: A History of the Battle of Britain [Kindle Edition] by Stephen Bungay

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Most-Dangerous- ... TSMDHTX7D7
Review
'...a serious work of scholarship which sheds new light on what has become over the years a battle (or series of battles) distorted by myth and inaccuracies...n o serious bookshelf should be without a copy.' -- Imprint, the journal of the Invicta Military Vehicle Preservation Society

'Bungay's book adds yet another interpretation to this most famous of British ba ttles and should not be missed. The crisis facing Britain in 1940 and the way i t was overcome, should also help to put our present crisis firmly back in perspe ctive.' -- The Glasgow Herald

'He dispels the myths and kills the clichis, but concludes that the Battle of Br itain was one of humanity's finest hours...an admirable book' -- The Sunday Times

'This is the most exhaustive and detailed account of the Battle of Britain that has yet appeared. The author has read prodigiously and produced some interestin g observations on the basis of original research...it puts between two covers th e gist of all there is to know and, one may suspect, remains discoverable about the Battle of Britain...this is an important achievement...for anyone coming new to the subject, this book is made to measure.' -- Times Literary Supplement

The book 'breaks new ground...claims and theories are backed up by fact so that his conclusions become logical and profound, even if some are at variance to pre vious thinking...it is one of the best books I have read on the subject, is extr emely well written and should be on the shelves of every aircraft enthusiast's l ibrary.' -- The Journal of the Spitfire Society

Times Literary Supplement
'This is the most exhaustive and detailed account of the Battle of Britain that has yet appeared. The author has read prodigiously and produced some interestin g observations on the basis of original research...it puts between two covers th e gist of all there is to know and, one may suspect, remains discoverable about the Battle of Britain...this is an important achievement...for anyone coming new to the subject, this book is made to measure.'
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:06 pm

I’ve just started to read RAF Winthorpe – The Story of an Airfield 1939 – 1959 – I acknowledge that I might be slightly biased, but I’m quite impressed! :thumb:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Avtur

Post by Avtur » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:09 pm

Not long finished "Jaguar Boys" Author Ian Hall. Excellent read with a diverse set of perspectives of this wonderful aircraft.

Best Regards

Geoff
It's so nice to be insane...nobody asks you to explain.

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Has anyone had a look at the new book on the Lightning by Ian Black.
Its a ltd edition run of 2000 for around £40.
Was thinking of getting it but there is quite a few books by Ian Black on the Lightnings and did'nt want to spend that money to see the same photos in it.

Ian

Tom.Joyce

Post by Tom.Joyce » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Just had "Beale Air Force Base During the Cold War (Images of America)" by James B. Quest delivered - picked it up on Amazon from the used section for a bit of a bargain.

Excellent photographic history and back ground of the Base from 1951 to 1994. It covers the initial building of the base and the deployment of KC135's, B52's, SR71's and the U2.
If at first you don't succeed -it's probably best not to take up parachuting

stickshaker

Post by stickshaker » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:59 am

Spitfire Girl by Jackie Moggridge.

ISBN: 978-1781859896 (Also on Kindle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spitfire-Girl-M ... B00KFDQVU0 )

Previously called Woman Pilot and long out of print but now available very cheaply on Kindle under a revised name. The autobiography of one of the most prolific ATA pilots during the war including her battle to get a licence, a job with the ATA and employment after the war as a female pilot. Some insights into the basic nature of flying training and a bygone age, epic ferry flights and hair-raising incidents ending up with ferrying Spitfires to the far east. Jackie was, incidentally, the pilot who flew Carolyn Grace's Spitfire aircraft on its delivery flight.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:32 am

Avro Lancaster – In Military Service 1945-1965 is a new book that’s just come into stock at NAM and is of some interest as it features photographs from the NAM Archive, more details in here. :thumb:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:33 pm

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the following book, but just wondered if any of you have read it and could perhaps advise if it is a good read?

"The Complete Illustrated History of The Blackbird, The Worlds Highest, Fastest Plane". By Richard H. Graham.

Thanks,
TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

miffy1969

Post by miffy1969 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi,
Wondered if you know where I can find a copy of European Military aviation scenes part 2 the seventies book by Willem helfferich,got others but this is out of print, cheers Paul.

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Post by garyscott » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:17 am

Some fantastic titles to be found here, and all free. Download as a PDF and read at your leisure. Navigate via the selection category, and choose.

http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/books.asp ... %20Warfare

Some of my favorites:-

On a Steel Horse I Ride, A History of the MH-53 Pave Low Helicopters in War and Peace.
- Download link - http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/digital/p ... _horse.pdf

A-10s over Kosovo: The Victory of Airpower over a Fielded Army as Told by Airmen Who Fought in Operation Allied Force.
- Download link - http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/digital/p ... kosovo.pdf

Airpower in Afghanistan 2005–10. The Air Commanders’ Perspectives.
- Download link - http://aupress.maxwell.af.mil/digital/p ... ctives.pdf

Many more titles for a lot of reading.
Enjoy. :)

brewc

Post by brewc » Fri May 22, 2015 2:13 pm

I purchased a copy of Mr Blacks new book - I'm a big fan of his work and this is a great example in a lovely format that really does the shots justice. Not many words baut as they say a picture...... Some of the photos are familiar but I just can't get enough of those luscious lightnings.
powerslave wrote:Has anyone had a look at the new book on the Lightning by Ian Black.
Its a ltd edition run of 2000 for around £40.
Was thinking of getting it but there is quite a few books by Ian Black on the Lightnings and did'nt want to spend that money to see the same photos in it.

Ian

Grahame W

James Salter

Post by Grahame W » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:44 pm

I was very saddened to learn of the recent death of James Salter. I would recommend anyone who hasn't read any of his work to do so. His classic is The Hunters, based on his experiences flying F-86s in Korea, possibly the best novel ever written about flying. He followed it up with Arm of Flesh, which was later re-issued as Cassada, about a US fighter group in Germany - not as brilliant as The Hunters, but still worth reading. His memoir Burning the Days has sections about his time in the USAF, and a collection of his writings about flying has been published under the title Gods of Tin. The quality of his writing sometimes takes your breath away. Incidentally, a fascinating interview with him was broadcast in the BBC World series "Witness" which is available on iPlayer.

A great pilot, but an even greater writer. RIP James.
Grahame W

Mark43

Post by Mark43 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Can anybody recommend a book with modern fighter types and transports (maybe helicopters also ) in it that give basic info on aircraft role ,weapons carried ,range etc etc but without it getting to deep and technical. Its for a lady friend who has an interest. Maybe more pictures than writing :)

markranger

Post by markranger » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:35 pm

Read this on Holiday

The scream of Eagles ,the beginning of Top Gun Fighter school

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Scream-Eagles-R ... 1908059001

Great read, Changed the Kill Ratio of the Navy Phantom in Vietnam from 2-1 to 12-1.

Mark.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:44 pm

I've just finished reading 'A Higher Call'. I couldn't put the book down, it is certainly one of the best aviation books I've ever read :thumbs:.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Call-Inc ... igher+call

Tankbuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 pm

TankBuster wrote:I've just finished reading 'A Higher Call'. I couldn't put the book down, it is certainly one of the best aviation books I've ever read :thumbs:.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Higher-Call-Inc ... igher+call

Tankbuster
I remember coming across this story about five years ago when I was reading about another damaged B17.

Googling, 'Ye Older Pub B17 photo' staggering to think that Stigler didn't 'down' Brown's aircraft! Very emotional interview on YouTube too.

I will most certainly have to read that book. There was talk of a film too. Let's hope it doesn't turn into the awful mess that 'Red Tails' did.

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:45 pm

"Out of the Blue" & "Out of the Blue too"

Yarns for those who would like to fly and memories of similar events for those who did. Excellent tails(sic).
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

scottoz8

Post by scottoz8 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:57 am

jem60 wrote:F.4 Phantom. A pilots story, by Robert Prest. Brillian book. Cannot recommend it highly enough.
read it, an excellent read

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”