Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Firefighter

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by Firefighter » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:59 pm

I am reading Vulcan 607 again, said that I would lend my rather tatty and dog-eared copy out to a friend, but having found it and a having had a quick scan through it thought blow it, I'll read it again first.

Firefighter

Post by Firefighter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:11 pm

Now that I have finished Vulcan 607, I have now dug out The Penetrators by Anthony Gray printed 1965, an RAF Group Captain attached to SAC decides to lead an attack on the USA by 9 Vulcans, whilst on leave! Will manned bombers penetrate the North American Air Defence's, will he get through!

Son of POW-Escaper

Post by Son of POW-Escaper » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:04 pm

'Ghosts of the Empire' is the latest WW2 novel from Australian author Justin Sheedy, the follow-on to 'Nor the Years Condemn'. The second book of a proposed trilogy is neither prequel nor sequel; rather the story takes place concurrently with the first, and actually briefly shares one or two of the characters.

Once again, Sheedy succeeds mightily in getting the reader quickly invested in the story, whose proponent is a young Australian pilot, Mick O'Regan. Growing up in working class Sydney, our hero enlists in the Royal Australian Air Force, desperately hoping (like all young men of the day) to become a Spitfire pilot. He gets his wish, joining the elite group of flyers whose simple job is to kill or be killed. A sad fate that becomes too many of his friends and allies.

The background research necessary to write this story well (and Sheedy has indeed written it very well) is evident at the turn of every page. But where the author triumphs, once again, is in drawing the reader so deeply into the emotional lives of his characters that one cannot wait to turn the page. As a reader, you CARE about these brave aircrew and their families. And there is no shortage of pulling at heartstrings on the family front. Letters between combat ace Mick and his 6-year-old sister back in Australia do a credible job of ripping at your guts.

In addition to his marvellous characters, Sheedy is also showing himself to be a master of plot. Unexpected twists and turns keep the reader awake and begging for more. Yes, you will cheer for the good guys and sneer at the villains, but you will also come to learn that the innocent victims of war are never on just one side or the other.

'Ghosts of the Empire' is a novel that exposes to today's generation what it took to be a member of what has been termed The Greatest Generation. Sheer guts and unfailing courage. It shows that today's sports stars are not heroes, and never will be.

Justin Sheedy is rapidly becoming that to which every author aspires: a novelist with serious talent.
Marc H. Stevens
Toronto, Canada
Author of 'Escape, Evasion and Revenge: The True Story of a German-Jewish Pilot Who Bombed Berlin and Became a POW'
Proud son of the subject of my book.
www.marchstevens.com

Flyingmonster

Post by Flyingmonster » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:31 pm

Scream of Eagles by Robert K. Wilcox

A interesting account of the creation of 'Top Gun'

Picked my copy up in WHS for £3 on offer!
Cheers

Boo boo (aka Jamie)

'The first time I ever saw a jet, I shot it down!' - Yeager

Tom.Joyce

Post by Tom.Joyce » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Just finished Viper Pilot by Dan Hampton - I would say on the whole a great read and quite hard to put down. My only gripe would be that ther eis still a fair ammount of jargon used that doen't feature in any glossary.....but really, that is me just being picky !

I've just had "Strike Eagle" by William L. Smallwood, "Stealth Fighter" by William B. O'Connor and "A Nightmare's Prayer" by Michael Franzak delivered......... looks like that's my christmas of blissful ignorance sorted then !
If at first you don't succeed -it's probably best not to take up parachuting

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:16 pm

"On A Steel Horse I Ride" ; A history of the MH-53 Pave Low Helicopter in war and peace. By Daryl W Whitcomb, only published earlier this month, a massive tome (775 pages). And already available on kindle for £5.01, might be worth a punt ;)

Tom.Joyce

Post by Tom.Joyce » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:20 pm

Bit of a long shot......

Does anyone know of any book that covers US SAC bases from the Cold War in a similar way that this one ( "UK Airfields of the Cold War" http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1857803 ... BD4N7WYSKv ) covers the UK RAF bases from the same period ?

Thanks in advance

Tom
If at first you don't succeed -it's probably best not to take up parachuting

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Amazon have a few aviation / military history etc related book in the 12 days of Kindle

Bomber Command by Max Hastings http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... d_i=468294
Book Description
Bomber Command's offensive against the cities of Germany was one of the epic campaigns of the Second World War. More than 56,000 British and Commonwealth aircrew and 600,000 Germans died in the course of the RAF's attempt to win the war by bombing. The struggle began in 1939 with a few score primitive Whitleys, Hampdens and Wellingtons, and ended six years later with 1,600 Lancasters, Halifaxes and Mosquitoes razing whole cities in a single night. Max Hastings traced the developments of area bombing using a wealth of documnets, letters, diaries and interviews with key surviving witnesses. Bomber Command is his classic account of one of the most controversial struggles of the war.
Winchman by Chris Murray http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... d_i=468294
This is the life story of Chris Murray from Stornoway. As a winchman on Search and Rescue helicopters, for 22 years he was involved in the rescue of many people from the seas and mountains around the north of Scotland and further afield. He details his exploits from his early days as a Royal Navy diver in the elite Faslane diving team, disabling explosive devices; as a civilian diver working offshore for various companies and finally - 22 years as the winchman on a Sikorsky S61; frequently hanging from a wire in stormy seas and snowstorms, risking his life to aid fishing vessels in distress and on one memorable occasion, receiving the Queen's Gallantry medal for the rescue of crewmen from the fishing vessel The Hansa. Includes 32 pages of photographs
http://www.amazon.co.uk/b?node=3974595031
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Duane Hewitt

Post by Duane Hewitt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:05 pm

Just got Nightstalkers by Mike Durant and Steven Hartov, and None Braver by Michael Hirsch. Will get through them in no time so I'll pass recommendations when done.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:16 pm

I have not read through this thread so dont know if its been mentioned before but, Fighter Pilot, The memoirs of legendary ace Robin Olds, is perhaps the best aviation related book I have ever read. The last chapter made me cry.
Growing old disgracefully

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:37 pm

'Scram' about helicopter operations in the Falklands war with a heavy Wessex bias is a fantastic read, and there's a copy for sale in the for sale section now.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

robmac

Post by robmac » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:18 pm

on yankee station by John B. Nichols is an excellent read about the carrier war in vietnam

mark6uk

Post by mark6uk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 pm

One I just could not put down this week was First Light by Geoffrey Wellum, it is his account of learning to fly on Tiger Moth then Harvard before being given a Spitfire at the start of WW2.
A rivetting read.
Regards Mark,

FT-757, IC-R8500 & BCT-15X base
UBC3500 & VX-2E mobile/portable
FR24 + PP
Canon EOS 60D & 300D
Tamron 70-300mm & Sigma 170-500mm

mark6uk

Post by mark6uk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Other recent reads;

Winged Warriors-The Cold War from the cockpit, by Pau Mcdonald

617, going to war with today s Dambusters, by Tim Bouquet.

Sea Harrier over the Falklands, by Cdr " Sharkey" Ward.

Hostile Skies, battle for the Falklands, by David Morgan.

Tornado Down, by John Peters and John Nichols. Required reading!

Vulcan Test Pilot, by Tony Blackman.

Joint Force Harrier, by Cdr Ade Orchard.

Flying the SR71Backbird, by Col. Richard H. Graham.

Any of these are a great read.
Regards Mark,

FT-757, IC-R8500 & BCT-15X base
UBC3500 & VX-2E mobile/portable
FR24 + PP
Canon EOS 60D & 300D
Tamron 70-300mm & Sigma 170-500mm

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Thu May 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I tried this down in the heritage section without any takers so far – so I thought I might add some details here. :halo:

Aviation Memorials in Nottinghamshire is a new book(let) that has been produced by NAM and Notts County Council – copies are free!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

flat cap

Post by flat cap » Fri May 16, 2014 7:49 am

GCHQ by Richard Aldrich. Fascinating read with reference to the UK's aerial intelligence capability through the years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCHQ-Richard-Al ... 0007312660
http://www.flickr.com/photos/flatcap707/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:18 pm

flat cap wrote:GCHQ by Richard Aldrich. Fascinating read with reference to the UK's aerial intelligence capability through the years.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GCHQ-Richard-Al ... 0007312660
I just finished reading that last month... quite an interesting and fascinating read with some detailed background information.

johnhowe

Sir James Martin of Martin Baker

Post by johnhowe » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 pm

James Martin The authorised biography of the Martin Baker ejection seat pioneer by Sarah Sharman Forword by HRH The Duke Of Edinburgh.

First published in 1996, it tells in graphic detail the trials and tribulations that, Martin Baker had to put up with seeing friends killed in aircraft

crashes, only spurred him onto make what is now regarded as the worlds best ejector system.

At the end of the book in (Appendix Three) there details of over 40 Live Test Ejections( Appendix Four) Emergency Ejections causes. its an amazing list

but due to copyright I can't describe them here. There are 44 pages listing every pilot that has been saved by the Ejector Seat.

There are a number of familiar names of Warton Test Pilots I shall only mention one.

Paul Hopkins Ejected from Tornado F3 due to FOD near to Blackpool Airport 28th, September 1996 + his Navigator Al Reynolds

isbn 1 85260 551 0 Published Patrick Stephens Limited is an imprint of Haynes Publishing Sparkford near Yeovil Somerset

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:53 am

Hi all
Yesterday I was in Cirencester and went into WHSmiths .Along with the latest Combat Aircraft Mag ,I found a special edition book called Top Gun ,US Air Force ,Navy and Marine Corps AGGRESSORS by Andy Evans with Gary Hatcher.
In light of the recent disbandment of the 65 AGRS I thought it was highly appropriate to get it.I must say it is a fantastic read with lots of info and history about the various aggressor squadrons and has some rare pictures of the aircraft:A4,F18,F15,16,F5 ,T38 ,F21 and F14 are all featured .Also has some lovely side on aircraft profiles .
Highly recommend this book.
All the very best as always
Max
Last edited by Skywatcher on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

ARK14

Post by ARK14 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:27 pm

I enjoyed the Ira Jones books

King of the Air Fighters about Mannock Tiger Squadron and Above the trenches .

Stuka pilot ..Hans Rudel
Hannah Reitsch autobiography good as well .
Samurai by and about Saburō Sakai also good .

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”