Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Hello

For beginners to the hobby to have all those "newbie" questions answered...
Robroy2000

Hello

Post by Robroy2000 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 am

Hi, I am a new member from Poole in Dorset. I did live in Mundford near RAF Lakenheath between 1974 and 1983 when it was packed with F4 Phantoms and then the F111. I now try and get up for a week with my son most years, I usually do 3 days at Lakenheath and Mildenhall and then upto Coningsby for 2 days, we used to then stay for the Waddington show, alas no more. We do get the odd RAF plane into Bournemouth airport down here but its mainly helicopters that operate around here as I live close to the Navy SBS base. it is sad to read about the fence vandalism at Coningsby and the bad behaviour at Lakenheath when it gets so busy. I do enjoy reading the spotters reports which keeps me updated to what is happening.
Regards
Rob

paddyboy

Re: Hello

Post by paddyboy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:44 am

Hi Rob :P

Welcome aboard the friendly aviation site :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Welcome to the group. I wish I had seen F-4 and F-111 at Lakenheath much as I love F-15 it would have been pretty cool. Having holidayed along the coast at Weymouth it is quite light on jets, as you say saw a few Chinooks about and I enjoy the big ships too so all was good!!

Robroy2000

Post by Robroy2000 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am

Hi, sometimes in Poole Harbour near the Rockley Park holiday camp you can see the Chinook hovering with its rear door in the water and the Royal Marines sailing their rib boats straight into the inside of them,
I was at Lakenheath when the F4 Phantoms went back to the States, all of them within one morning, if I remember right there was about 100 in total, they taxied down in blocks of 8 and took the salute of the commanding officers and all shut their cockpits at the same time in salute, it was a magic morning
Have a good holiday

jakdaw

Post by jakdaw » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Robroy2000 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:55 am
I was at Lakenheath when the F4 Phantoms went back to the States, all of them within one morning, if I remember right there was about 100 in total, they taxied down in blocks of 8 and took the salute of the commanding officers and all shut their cockpits at the same time in salute, it was a magic morning
Have a good holiday
Wow! :thumbs:

Return to “The Newbie Forum”