Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Monday/Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
RichC

Monday/Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:18 am

Can i ask anyone in the East Anglia, Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Bedfordshire area (etc) to document any thunderstorms they get (pictures and video)?
Potential risk for very violent storms is expected lightning wise and risk of possible whirly things is not ruled out.
Some opportunities no doubt for some very well structured storms to be caught on camera.

Of course, that goes for today too, a risk of major storms developing anywhere within the UK today with a whirly risk in the south western areas.
Last edited by RichC on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam

Re: Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

Post by Adam » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:45 am

I'm hoping to get some images/video so will let you know Rich :)

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:05 am

Cool,
Should be in for a light show overnight too in your area (region). To say i am jealous of Tuesday is an understatement.

PhilW

Post by PhilW » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am

Rich,
I recall your post last year (or the year before) about the Spanish Plume and all the rain it dumped in a very short period of time (it was the first I'd ever heard of a Spanish Plume).

Are the forthcoming conditions likely to be similar in terms of rain/ localised flooding?

It would be interesting to see any updates that you might have as the weather predictions get updated.
Sorry to say that I don't have a camera, but it will be interesting to see anyone's captures.

Thanks,
Phil

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 am

There was a plume event last night for those along the south coast (Exeter to Bournemouth) but it faded as soon as the storms hit landfall.
The plume (Warm moist air) is now over much of the UK and meteorologists are saying it should destabilise tonight giving the same type of conditions for those further north (midlands/east). Talk of an MCS possibly developing like last night. So that means lots of thunderstorms merging into one covering a large area.

Tomorrow is more of a home grown storm day, severe at that. Both today and tomorrow could see flash flooding and damage from lightning. A big hail risk for tomorrow i would imagine too in those counties i mentioned earlier as it is a similar set up to last year when a Supercell developed over Lincolnshire.

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:59 pm

Large MCS now initiated off Caen/Le Havre, with off the scale sferic rate. Moving NNE towards Sussex/Kent (anvil is anyway).
Looks like the plume might to start to initiate very soon in the Hampshire/Wiltshire area. Although this is my own opinion. Already a cell on the southern Cu Field approaching Poole from it. Wouldn't be surprised if things go "pop corn" soon in that area (Hampshire/Wiltshire) but time will tell.

Need it to destabilise around 22.00 really...
Last edited by RichC on Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Malcolm

Re: Monday/Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:12 pm

There was quite a lot of Lightning to the south east of Yeovil last night at around 11pm-Midnight. Didn't hear any thunder, so was probably a log way away, but the lightnig was clearly visible. This morning all the cars are covered in a fine layer of sand.

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:14 pm

Yes, it was a Spanish Plume event, had a cell crop up on the west flank of it south of me too but as soon as they hit landfall they dissipated. Most of the elevated storms were rushing up towards Poole/Weymouth and fizzled out thereafter. Same should happen this evening/tonight but for more central/northern eastern areas.
The MCS off Caen/Le Havre is pummelling the towns there, flooding from extremely high Ppn rates and an extreme amount of lightning. Not an uncommon sight there though, there are several MCS's over France right now and Caen seem to get a fair share develop.

Growth on the Cu Field near Warminster now...

CHILL51

Post by CHILL51 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

Temps have touched almost 34 this afternoon in my location and i can now see to the southwest of me
some large cloud build ups and they have a thunderstorm warning until 22.00 on the Brize ATIS at the moment.
Mike

UBC BCT 15X
UBC 780 XLT x 2
UBC 785 XLT x 2
Diamond D.777

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm

RichC wrote:Yes, it was a Spanish Plume event, had a cell crop up on the west flank of it south of me too but as soon as they hit landfall they dissipated. Most of the elevated storms were rushing up towards Poole/Weymouth and fizzled out thereafter. Same should happen this evening/tonight but for more central/northern eastern areas.
The MCS off Caen/Le Havre is pummelling the towns there, flooding from extremely high Ppn rates and an extreme amount of lightning. Not an uncommon sight there though, there are several MCS's over France right now and Caen seem to get a fair share develop.

Growth on the Cu Field near Warminster now...
I've noticed on plane plotter the London TMA inbounds/outbounds over the isle of Wight are a lot further west today, instead of going in/out over ORTAC/ORIST. It's completley jamming up my spam filters. Which remids me of the old joke...

Whats brown and steaming and comes out of Cows backwards...
The Isle of Wight ferry

(Cowes/Cows) geddit? Ohhh please yourselves.

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Cells rapidly growing north of Poole now.... nothing significant yet. But elevated storms grow within 30mins.

RichC

Post by RichC » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:42 pm

Plume has now begun to destabilise as said, Cu Field as above now developing into cells over a wide area from Poole to Swindon/Cirencester. This will move NNE

PhilW

Post by PhilW » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:54 pm

The sky here looks much clearer than earlier, the haze clearing and some small clouds are forming.
My main observation though of the day is that I haven't seen a single vapor trail.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I'll certainly be keeping a lookout for storm activity, it really fascinates me how they manifest themselves out of a clear day!

I have a view straight out into the Thames Estuary from my house & have seen many storms roll in off the sea out that way. I'll certainly have my bins handy to keep an eye on the wind turbines on Gunfleet Sands & London Array. There are also several turbines closer in which look to be on in the Tollesbury area. Judging by the amount of them there is certainly a high risk of them being whacked by a lightning bolt :Wow: .

Hope there isn't too much damage caused to people's property tho.

Stay safe,
TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Dave934

Post by Dave934 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm at work in Mildenhall tomorow.....so hopefully it will chuck it down !
I'll have a video with me just in case.
Dave.

CHILL51

Post by CHILL51 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:10 pm

The clouds are continuing to build to the south and southwest of me at this time yet out to the east of me its clear blue.
Some pretty large build ups directly west of me aswell.
Mike

UBC BCT 15X
UBC 780 XLT x 2
UBC 785 XLT x 2
Diamond D.777

dragon51

Post by dragon51 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Rich we just had a very small rain show very nice can hear the thunder starting to rumble hear in cirencester

nick197

Post by nick197 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Loud thunder and seen some lightning here in Newbury now.

sjnovis

Post by sjnovis » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Heavy rain shower plus Lighting/thunder just crossed me in Central Swindon, Lasted approx. 5 mins, :clap:

Rumbling away in the distance now, I think heading north.

CHILL51

Post by CHILL51 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Heavy rain shower just started here and most welcome it is aswell after the heat of today.
Mike

UBC BCT 15X
UBC 780 XLT x 2
UBC 785 XLT x 2
Diamond D.777

Return to “General Chat”