Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Monday/Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
markranger

Re: Monday/Tuesday Thunderstorm Heads Up

Post by markranger » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:21 am

Yes last night was a cracker, :thumb:
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Last nights storm was awesome :thumbs: .

I can honestly say that it was the most active storm in terms of C to G lightning that I have seen in over 20 years, it was just constant 'flash flash flash KABOOM KABOOM KABOOM', it went on and on like that for well over an hour :Wow: .

Here in North East Essex I could see the storm approaching from the south west at least a good 45 mins before it finally got overhead, the visibility was good and the lightning was crystal clear to see. At first there was no rain, just very close lightning bolts followed by deafening cracks of thunder. When the rain did eventually turn up it absolutely hossed it down... I nearly had to call Noah :lol: . All in all a good nights entertainment, absolutely fascinating!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

That's just the kind of weather to get some fabulous images from!
I know my wife wants to get some ferocious lightning strike shots.
I've bought her a WW1 German Helmet, complete with 6' metal aerial, an earthing suit and wellingtons, (just to be safe, incorporating steel tips). All this combined with a solid steel tripod, as a sign of my love.
Just wish this storm would come up North as she's 'dying' to try her gifts out...
Me too.
:P
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

JohnAAT

Post by JohnAAT » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 pm

I am fed up with all your comments about those fantastic thunder storms! I live in Worcester, love watching lightning and will travel miles to watch a storm. The weather forecasters ( national and local) forecast storms here. BUT, we have not had a single flash of lightning or rumble of thunder this YEAR. They go around this area every time possibly influenced by the Malvern hills to the south west. Please let me know if you have booked one so I can start the car. I am utterly jealous.
To Cornish-guy. If your wife is watching through the window, wouldn't it be kinder to let her in!!
John

morticiaskeeper

Post by morticiaskeeper » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:21 pm

JohnAAT wrote:I am fed up with all your comments about those fantastic thunder storms! I live in Worcester, love watching lightning and will travel miles to watch a storm. The weather forecasters ( national and local) forecast storms here. BUT, we have not had a single flash of lightning or rumble of thunder this YEAR. They go around this area every time possibly influenced by the Malvern hills to the south west. Please let me know if you have booked one so I can start the car. I am utterly jealous.
To Cornish-guy. If your wife is watching through the window, wouldn't it be kinder to let her in!!
John
I'm in Tewkesbury, we get the same problem, it just seems to go around us.

Rainman 2 is on an outward bound trip to Devon. We had a phone call at 00:15 to tell us that the campsite had been evacuated :-(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 pm

The storms usually miss my area as it seems that any approaching from the South West usually disperse as soon as they hit the Thames Estuary. Not this storm though, for some reason this one came along full force and carried on going. It was spectacular!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Return to “General Chat”