Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Music thread

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
powerslave

Re: Music thread

Post by powerslave » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:59 pm

TankBuster wrote:Like all new albums it does take several plays to absorb the tracks, but the more I heard the new album the more I liked it.
You can certainly notice the big change in the lead guitar playing styles, but that's not a bad thing as the overall sound most definitely has Red Hot Chili Peppers written all over it.

TankBuster
Yeah the more times you play it the more you usually get into it.
Not saying it's bad,just that i preferred them when they where less mainstream,when they had a more powerfull sound.

Ian

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:40 pm

I love Earth Wind and Fire their latest album is no exception..... :clap: :clap:
Last edited by beefsteak on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:54 am

Off to Womad this weekend, couldn't really tell you who's going to be good and worth seeing, but that's the point, always some superb surprises.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

matt lonsdale

Post by matt lonsdale » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:45 am

I've been listening to a lot of Yelawolf recently,their new album love story is quite something.
Equipment used-Kodak AZ251 PixPro,Polaroid Tripod

"I may not believe in myself but i believe in what i'm doing"
Jimmy Page

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:35 pm

Just seen on the news that Prince Buster has passed away aged 78..the Ska pioneer had an influence on groups like The Specials and Madness.

isaacdeac.8

Post by isaacdeac.8 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:01 pm

Coldplay! Coldplay! Coldplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Isaac Deacon
-Scanner: UNIDEN UBC125XLT.
-Reading, Berkshire, South England.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:14 pm

Cant beat a bit of Slave, proper old school funk!..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D3ZdRU8iiw0

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:53 am

Went to see Gary Numan at Rock City - Nottingham on Wednesday, he was playing his songs from first three albums. A brilliant gig albeit a hot one
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:07 am

I went to see Gary Numan at Mildenhall Airfete!
Crem d Meths.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:44 am

A mate just secured me a ticket for Iron Maiden at the O2 London next May........can't wait! :thumb: :thumb:
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 pm

I went to see Level 42 (yet again :D ) on their 'Sirens II' tour on Saturday night at the Ipswich Regent.
They were absolutely brilliant, spot on with the performance & the sound, and boy were they loud!.. You could actually feel the floor shaking from the basslines :thumb:.

There are still a few dates left this year & I'd highly recommend them (well, they are my favourite band)... http://www.level42.com/event-listing/

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:31 pm

bizfreeq wrote:A mate just secured me a ticket for Iron Maiden at the O2 London next May........can't wait! :thumb: :thumb:
Best live band you'll ever see mate,seen them 15-16 times since 86,saw them last year in Madrid and going to Manchester and Liverpool gigs next May.
Liverpool will be superb.

Ian

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Ian, I saw them in the early, mid and late 80s, but not recently, so I know what I'm getting! Seeing Sabbath in January too! :clap:
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

somerset

Post by somerset » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:01 pm

bizfreeq wrote:A mate just secured me a ticket for Iron Maiden at the O2 London next May........can't wait! :thumb: :thumb:

Me and my brother have tickets for that gig , we saw Billy Talent , Young guns and Say yes at the Camden Roundhouse on sunday night thats was fantastic

beefsteak

Post by beefsteak » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:06 pm

Going to see Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons next year

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Jim Bowen, on "Bullseye" :- In which state of the U.S.A. is Dallas, Texas ??

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:53 pm

bizfreeq wrote:Ian, I saw them in the early, mid and late 80s, but not recently, so I know what I'm getting! Seeing Sabbath in January too! :clap:
Good stuff mate,i just saw sabbath last month in Phoenix,tickets cost me £50 for a pair,not like the rip off prices over here.

Ian

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 am

You not gonna believe this, but I saw Sabbath At Lancaster Uni. decades ago and I fell asleep in the middle of the Great Hall. No such thing for The Who earlier in 1970; the crowd in the centre weren't touching the floor, they were like a keystone there was that many there.
Roger

powerslave

Post by powerslave » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:16 am

H.A.Bucken wrote:You not gonna believe this, but I saw Sabbath At Lancaster Uni. decades ago and I fell asleep in the middle of the Great Hall. No such thing for The Who earlier in 1970; the crowd in the centre weren't touching the floor, they were like a keystone there was that many there.
Roger
Great stuff,yeah I believe you.I''m old enough to remember that rock bands back in the day actually payed their dues by playing everywhere,and I mean everywhere.
Unlike the bands of today who get millions of followers on twitter and facebook and only play in arenas and stadiums more or less overnight.
I've be seen Iron Maiden play Preston Guildhall and Manchester Apollo a few times over various tours.
My mum's seen The Beatles and The Rolling Stones play the Public Hall in Preston when they started off.

Ian

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:05 pm

H.A.Bucken wrote:......No such thing for The Who earlier in 1970; the crowd in the centre weren't touching the floor, they were like a keystone there was that many there.
Roger
I saw The Who at Manchester University Students Union Hall in 68/69 - price 7/6d (that's 37½p in new money). They arrived late, but made up for it by playing their full set - and with no guitar smashing by Pete Townshend.

The crowd was said to be around 1000 - for a hall designed for about 600. The hall was so packed that people who fainted were passed over the heads of people to get them out into fresher (?) air!!

Myself?? The only place I could find was stood on the edge of the stage with only the balls of my feet on the stage. I should also add that I had to hold onto one of their loudspeakers to stop myself falling off. :Wow: The problem came afterwards. The ear furthest from the 'speaker "unfuzzed" the next afternoon, the one nearest took three days to "unfuzz".

Next year, the price went up to 15/-. Didn't bother going.
Cheers, Bob

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:54 am

powerslave wrote:
Great stuff,yeah I believe you.I''m old enough to remember that rock bands back in the day actually payed their dues by playing everywhere,and I mean everywhere.
Unlike the bands of today who get millions of followers on twitter and facebook and only play in arenas and stadiums more or less overnight.
I've be seen Iron Maiden play Preston Guildhall and Manchester Apollo a few times over various tours.
My mum's seen The Beatles and The Rolling Stones play the Public Hall in Preston when they started off.

Ian[/quote]

Most bands do play small venues on the way up, bands need to hone their craft. I think the artists you're referring to are the ones that are aimed at commerciality, to make as much money as quickly as possible and aren't really bands as such, just a collection of musicians, with an appealing front man/woman, who are technically very good, but don't have that spark or magic, like Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rolling Stones etc. Target audience is teenagers and early twenties aged fans. Even Adele went through the small venue slog, despite appearing to pop up out of nowhere, to me at any rate. I've just started getting into gig promoting, and have to say there's a wealth of talent out there in all genres, just waiting to be discovered but being held back by record companies, either deliberately or by indifference in order for one or two big acts on their roster to hoover up all the cash from the audience. Find that talent, support your local venue.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Return to “General Chat”