Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Funding for increases

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
reheat module

Funding for increases

Post by reheat module » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:08 pm

Released today that a range of personnel (Servicemen, Police, Doctors etc) are to receive a well deserved pay increase, varying from 2 - 3.5%. As I say, well deserved, but within the fine print are a number of details deep in the weeds.
Nonetheless, it's better than nothing, despite still playing catchup after many years of Govt capping.
It was also stipulated that these increases are not funded in total via the Treasury, therefore, yet again, further cuts (aka efficiencies) are to be sought and implemented.
I'm intrigued to know what members thoughts are in targeting areas for savings.
Personally (and being 'open' ), - no sacred cows, I'd consider the following:
1. A further review of the Benefit system. How can people who WILL NOT work, have new mobiles, iPads, Huge TVs, big cars etc and still afford cigarettes and booze. Are vouchers a way ahead, to ensure children are clothed and fed suitably?
2. Funding on the NHS continues for minor Ops, varicose veins, chest implants/reductions etc, even IVF (shock horror). There's a saving. Let's put it into research for Cancer and/or split between other awful diseases. Mandatory insurance US style?
3. Policing - an area where I feel should be funded and better manned - end of. Build more prisons, preferably offshore (get my drift)...?
4. Armed Forces. Saddens me greatly, but it's not what I did for nearly 40yrs. I think we need to identify what we want to be involved in, to what extent and strive to be as future proof as possible. Difficult in a volatile and changing world.
The function of Govt is the protection of its people.
The pot is not endless. Contribute if/as you wish. No arguments, just thoughts.
Tax increases?
Wonder how long it is before RAFAT raises its head...
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

jem60

Re: Funding for increases

Post by jem60 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:37 pm

For many years I have advocated that there must be a tax rise to fund the N.H.S. with all the increased money raised going towards putting it's problems to rights. However, putting taxes up is NOT a vote winner, and so far the politicians have not had the courage to do it!!!. Mr. Corbyn will simply solve everything by borrowing hugely, and then telling everybody what a good job he has done. then,

Return to “General Chat”