Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Air Fete Burgers!

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
jem60

Re: Air Fete Burgers!

Post by jem60 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:56 am

Polite society suggests that it 'bad form, old boy' to partake of alcoholic beverage until the sun is over the yard -arm. However, the sun is always over the yard-arm somewhere in the world, thereby negating the need to go to confession!. :)

Rotörhead

Post by Rotörhead » Sat May 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Got some Burgers, BBQ Sauce and some Budweiser... time to light the Barbeque and see how this goes!

Bear in mind I've never had a Mildenhall burger, this will just be 'inspired by' them
https://www.flickr.com/photos/olicphoto/

Aviation Photography Instagram: @olicphoto

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 pm

To feel the spirit you need to have a burger in one hand a beer in the other and a camera plus a pair of bins or a pole over each shoulder. Preferably you need to be holding two burgers so that you don't have to immediately rejoin the queue :)

The trick is to not drip any sauce on your bins

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sat May 26, 2018 8:25 pm

...at which point something unexpected happens and you miss the shot :lol:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:37 pm

If anyone's on the Facebook Fightecontrol page, I've posted a photo of of those great BBQs!! ;-)
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Hurrican

Post by Hurrican » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Man you are right me my family and my best mate and his family had great hall times god know how many wet burgers we hat and buds drunk but it was fun if you read this BULWINKLE tank care bud

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:34 pm

slogen51 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 8:15 pm
To feel the spirit you need to have a burger in one hand a beer in the other and a camera plus a pair of bins or a pole over each shoulder. Preferably you need to be holding two burgers so that you don't have to immediately rejoin the queue :)

The trick is to not drip any sauce on your bins
And having somebody bellow ‘Air Fete Stickers’ in your ear from a megaphone :D :D . You could also get a breakfast deal from some units - burger and beer - $1.50

Polish sausages were to die for and don’t get me started on Hot Links sausages

Those were the days - brilliant

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:08 am

Eat your hearts out, you youngsters!. Fortunately for you, if you didn't get to an 'Air Fete'. you cannot appreciate what you were missing. Best times!!. :)

BMrider

Post by BMrider » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:50 am

Happy Days!

ImageMildenhall Air Fete Burgers by Mark Handley, on Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:23 am

Excellent Mark! Love it!

AshBailey

Post by AshBailey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 am

Not strictly on topic - but the air Fete stickers.... Does anyone else remember following cars which absolutely no rear view due to the large, colourful stickers in the back windows?!

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be..

Beer, burgers - and I'm sure it never rained back then!

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 am

Lovely pic, Mark. Those really were the best of days. It was good to see you at Duxford. Regards, John.

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:16 pm

Good thread..am I correct in thinking that a true burger needs to be at least an inch thick? Girth wise I'd imagine is negotiable, much dependent in size of your buns et al.

As for any salad bits, onion, lettuce maybe tomato. (That's three towards your five a day.) so two burgers and you're done..

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:20 pm

AshBailey wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:37 am
Not strictly on topic - but the air Fete stickers.... Does anyone else remember following cars which absolutely no rear view due to the large, colourful stickers

Beer, burgers - and I'm sure it never rained back then!
Only saw a car about 2 weeks ago with air fete stickers covering the back window - that took me back! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yes it did rain but we only remember the times it didn’t - scanned some more negs / slides recently and massive puddles everywhere in the static

Good times

Salad Terry? For the bin!! Not a proper ‘TAC Donalds’ burger with salad!

Thunderbolt II

Post by Thunderbolt II » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 pm

Nice one BMrider! Two classic Air Fete types, too, 'vark and a 'hog!

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:54 am

First trip to MIldenhall for Air Fete as a 14 year old in 1984 with a couple of mates,overnight bus from Edinburgh getting to Cambridge at about 5am,then taxi out to Marshalls to see what was about before catching bus out Mildenhall,followed by walking all the way around the perimeter fence checking out what was all parked on the southside.....man we needed those Burgers and cokes when we got into the show!! Was even better when I went back older and was able to drink beer instead of the coke!
Rounding the day off with a visit to Mickey`s Tea Bar before catching the National Express bus from across the road to London......can`t imagine many 14 year olds doing that nowadays without a parent somehow.

H.A.Bucken

Post by H.A.Bucken » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:09 pm

We rounded off our visits by using the back roads to the Judes Ferry when landlord Dave and his partner ran it. They had the best darts team in the local league; made up mainly of Pratt and Whitney and Honeywell guys who used to service a well-known aircraft at the time. I always wondered if that had any bearing on the 'DET 4' patch. Some time later the pub was run by someone who detested motorbikers, sad man, as having been on the outside on the Sunday we were looking forward to some scran and an ale.
Roger

Proteus

Post by Proteus » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Being an old Beck Row boy, I always thought the det 4 dartboard patch denoted the Sr boy’s who played darts for the Rose and Crown.

PC4

Post by PC4 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:41 am

While on the subject of Mildenhall burgers, do they have the same type of wet burgers at US airshows or are they different?

PC4

Hurrican

Post by Hurrican » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 am

Man mildenhall was the best buds burgers aircraft people simpley the best in allways if you never done mildenhalls air fete you missed something special best show best base best burgers and suds come back airfete 2019 be nice 👍👍👍

Return to “General Chat”