Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Saving Money

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Saving Money

Post by airfixpilot » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:18 am

In these days of high prices, I am always looking to save money. Some people save lots by using store coupons or waiting for shop sales. Others food shop at lower price stores (Llidel & Aldi) to name but a few, keeping away from higher well known like Morrisons and Sainsburys.

Two tips from myself comes from Mc Ds (restaurant) and Farmfoods.
A) McDs. Save your receipt on purchase, and at the top you can waste time doing the survey on line (www.mcdfoodeorthoughts.com), or just put a random five digit number on the top receipt. This lets you to a Big Mac and Fries for £1.99. (I do believe there is options on this, so may get a fillet of fish or chicken with fries, may have to ask). Also some bus company's do the same with their ticket, but these tickets can ONLY be used in NON drive throughs MDs. Save the coffee beans and get a free cup after the 6th purchase. 7th FREE

B) Farmfoods. When you get the flyer from Farmfoods check the vouchers on the bottom, You save 10% on your food shop. The vouchers can be downloaded from the Farmfoods web site. If like me forget to use your vouchers keep your receipt and next time you go give the receipt to the till and it should be OK, so you get the money back. Many times I have gone to My local Farmfoods with till receipt and got cash back. But don't forget the vouchers are time valid, until the next ones come out.
That is cash.
£2.50 for £25 Spent
£5.00 for £50 Spent
£7.50 for £75 Spent
£10.00 for £100 Spent

Has anyone got more saving tips wich they use? Let me know :pop:
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

Terry Tibbs

Re: Saving Money

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:21 pm

If I have genuinely enjoyed a great product and or received good service of any kind, on occasion I have sent my compliments via email - as opposed to the usual complaints which is often the easier option?

Praising as opposed to for example bemoaning or complaining can have the adverse effect as so far, freebies have been warmly welcomed too. Yes, free as in on the house, gratis and for the mere fact that you made the effort to actually send compliments. Was pleasantly surprised to receive a whole box of extremely tasty tortilla chips that really were top notch amongst others :thumb: some ok slightly less indelible....

Equally there are quite a few freebie sites that do giveaways if you're lucky or indeed quick enough. You name it they can bung it!

If they pay you then more the merrier :ninja:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:45 pm

Just stay at home lol
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:30 am

Don't buy from Mc crap, make your own itscheaper
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:22 pm

My tips.

If you go into a Supermarket make sure you’re good at maths, especially percentages and working out how to compare like products. If you see an offer, don’t be lured by it. Work out if the larger pack that isn’t on offer still works out cheaper than the ‘bargain’ smaller pack. Don’t use weights or volumes to compare. Use price per unit. You don’t often drink 2/3rds of a can of something or eat half a packet, work it out as you’d use it.
If something is on offer this week and you don’t need it, buy it anyway because you know it’ll be full price soon and by next week you’ll run out (check dates).
Use your local Butcher, Greengrocer or Fishmonger if you have them.
Don’t believe the ‘good food costs more’ brigade, our local Butcher is cheaper than M*rris*ns, Veg from the Greengrocer lasts longer than it does from the Supermarket and fresh fish just tastes better !

Do you watch TV ?
Enough to warrant spending several hundreds of pounds a year to do it ?
I’d never subscribe to Sky or similar but then I’m not into Football.
It’s probably cheaper to go to the Pub to watch the match if it’s your thing.
I know the kids like cartoons, ever heard of CBBC.
Buy a Freeview box.

Buy one of those plug in jobbies to work out how much power your devices use.
I cut several hundred pounds off of our yearly bill by.
Getting rid of my dual processor workstation and going to a laptop.
Replacing all bulbs with LED ones.
Putting a timer on our outside light instead of a sensor, stops it turning on and off all night with passing critters.
The light in the corner of the Lounge drew 200watts ! It was costing us £100+ a year just to have it on for a few hours in the evening. In the bin, new LED one, 8watts, looks identical.
And turn things off, standby still uses power, sometimes nearly as much as it being left on.

Remember.
LED bulbs, Flatscreen TVs, modern fridges, washing machines, etc, all use less energy.
The outlay might be high but look at the longer term savings. Things pay for themselves in the long run.

Need a new TV, Mobile Phone, Laptop, iPad ?
Need or just want ?
Yep thought so, you’re just bored with the old one and need something new and shiny to play with.

Do you insure you new devices ?
Have you ever really needed the insurance ?
That’s where the profits are made.

Ever go anywhere by train.
Did you know that by buying the tickets weeks in advance you can save lots, it’s worth checking on Trainline or similar.
We went to London last year, first class return for less than £50 each. My Wife just bought tickets for second class £10 each way, that’s for a 3hour, 120+ mile journey. Check it out.
If you do go to London look up ‘2 for 1’ tickets, you can get reduced admission to LOTS of places.
If you’re a Pensioner, you can buy a Senior Citizen Rail Card and get even bigger discounts.

Add all this up, that’s where your money is going.
Every little helps, apparently.

These are just suggestions. I’m not personally attacking anyone.
We all have our hobbies and weaknesses, I like beer and chocolate as much as the next person, just buy it wisely.
And
I never buy takeaways.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:12 pm

Just a general comment. I was brought up very poor, but made a success of a small business. HOWEVER, despite having what some people might consider a lavish way of life [3 foreign holidays a year] I still very much understand the value of money. It is difficult to make, but very easy to get rid of. My wife and I still take the local bus the seven miles to town. [We are both pensioners,] because the bus is free, the car isn't, and neither are the car parks. We look closely at offers in shops, and the cinema etc., I don't drink in pubs, because I don't like pub prices, and I go to cheap restuarants, unless entertaining friends. Have never travelled business class on airliners, because it is not value for money, however long the flight is [13 hours in some cases]. Despite, particularly my senior management being able to afford a new Ferrari, we run one car, a 9 year old Fiesta, because it does the job we want it to do. I still like to consider myself humble, and have much sympathy with people who are struggling. Been there!. I hope hard work and a little luck can change your life, as it did mine.. Always look at value for money. As the previous poster says, it is not always the obvious offers that are the best. Regards. John.
Last edited by jem60 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:40 pm

deerhunter wrote:Don't buy from Mc crap, make your own itscheaper
Couldn't agree more :thumb:

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:22 am

Jem60 I salute you.

I was brought up to appreciate money and not to spend what I didn’t have.
You think a bit like me.
We work hard, we’ll never be rich, but we enjoy what we do.

When talking with our accountant a couple of weeks ago he actually said ‘why is it that the people who earn the most money seem to have the biggest debts’ a thing he regularly notices.
Banks make money out of peoples debt, but mostly when people default on those debts.
Live within your means.
Them Joneses take some keeping up with you know, they have a Money Tree :-)

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:55 pm

Born in a council house
Dad worked in a shoe factory
Mum never worked
Studied hard and got to go to a top Grammar School
Went to College as part of a 6 year apprenticeship
Got married
Worked overtime and saved everything
No foreign holidays and no new cars
Paid off mortgage by age 30
Now retired and loving it
Not rich and never going to be, but can get by comfortably with no money worries

Happy life with my partner for life: 'nuff said ;)

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:25 pm

I'm just happy my local pub has reduced their prices!! Only go out once or twice a week. Now the best pint of Ale in the valley is £2.80! ;-)

I like Pizza but have you seen the prices in Dominoes!!! I enjoy cooking, so I make my own for half the price, I also make a mean curry too, saves money on take aways!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

timb

Post by timb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Great life paddyboy, good for you mate, be proud of yourself ! And trips to Lakenheath thrown in and you know a good photo when you see one with always positive remarks.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:25 pm

Like Paddy, council house until I was 27. My wife, daughter of a Polish escapee from Warsaw during WW11. [He lost his five brothers]. never had her own bedroom until we married, her at 21 Me 8 years older O.K. I know. I was cradle snatching..The common bit to this thread is, of course HARD WORK. As with Paddy, I attended a very good Grammar School, and, unlike him, I was thoroughly lazy there. I drifted until I was 25, then realised the world didn't owe me a living, so I went and got it. Was I lucky??? Of course, but to some extent, it is possible to make one's own luck. I appreciate that this is not at all easy for some people on this site, but I have empathy with them. Think about the future, live within your means. There is much more time available to you youngsters to make life better, than for some of us boring old f..ts. Regards, John. [75 and still loving life]. :)

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:34 pm

This thread seems to have a lot of good advice - (certainly from the senior, experienced members), so I'll throw my tale into the ring..
Born in S Yorks (or W.R.C.C.as was), son of a Miner and a School Teaching Assistant. Never anything affluent, but instilled with the honest values needed to grow up.
Passed 11+ and streamed for a new Catholic School with 12 in the class from aged 11-16.
Looked round to see what was available on finishing School and didn't want a job in the mines, steel mills or Rail-yard apprenticeship.
Parents sacrificed things to send me to College for 2 years (HNC)
I then joined the RAF for nearly 40 yrs. First thing I did was repay the College fees for my parents and sent them on a holiday, as they had never been to Europe.
Worked hard, played hard, studied with the OU and advanced quickly.
Saved like mad, never had a mortgage until aged 51, then bought my first house in 6 years - mortgage cleared.
Finished my Service maximizing pension schemes, bought a second house and set up my own business.
Now enjoying working 2 days a week, never a Monday or Friday, 3 Hols a year and an 18 plate car.
Moral of the story - you may get lucky, you may get 6 numbers, - but plan in case you don't!
I fear for those 45+ with a family, no home of their own and no pension scheme: - I've bleated enough on this forum about Pensions...
Nobody owes you a living (as said above) - GOYA and make provisions.
By the way, I still use Aldi and Lidl, why not if you enjoy their food - I don't display labels.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Return to “General Chat”