Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Any bikers on here?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Sparts99

Any bikers on here?

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:07 am

After far too many years I'm getting back on a bike. I've been given an armoured waterproof jacket but I'd really like to get an A2 style bike leather as I'll be strictly fair weather, any recommendations for makes or suppliers/shops? Prices seem to vary wildly, I want something decent but equally don't want to get stitched up (see what i did there?).

Also insurance recommendations please.

Thanks
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Alan425

Re: Any bikers on here?

Post by Alan425 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Can't help with the jacket, as I went the textile route. For insurance I have gone with Hastings who seem to give good cover without being too expensive.

Biggest problem after being away from motorcycling for over 10 years was finding a bike that I liked!

Alan

gosman767

Post by gosman767 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:55 pm

Try Motolegends at Guilford if it's not too far, fantastic choice but if you want best price find what you want, size etc then try Google although I think Motolegends offer to price match any genuine quote.

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:18 pm

For insurance I’d give Carol Nash a ring.
Just renewed mine, it’s cheaper than last year, bonus.
Just a happy customer. Been with them for years.

I always feel quite smug when I renew and it takes about five minutes.
When my Wife rings Admiral it seems to take about 30 minutes or more and usually involves lots of muttering and face pulling.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks all.

Yes I've heard Hastings are pretty good. I've bought a Suzuki DR400 SM, not really what I'd normally go for but it was offered very cheap and will do to see how I get on before deciding what's next. Last had a proper bike 30 odd years ago, few smaller ones for a little while after, I really don't like the look of today's bikes so anything I buy will have to be or or look retro.

Guildford isn't far from work, might have to pop along.

I tried Carol Nash, they were way off the mark, quotes are cheapest £175 up to 200 - 250, Carol Nash wanted £650.

Picking the bike up tomorrow night, hopefully on the road at the weekend. Good times.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm

That surprises me about Carol Nash, perhaps it’s because of your lack of no claims bonus or the area you live.
Within a couple of quid they’ve always been the cheapest for me.
They did quote me for car insurance a few years ago, when they first started doing it, I’ve just about stopped laughing.
It was more than double what I was paying.

I’ve had a lot of Big Singles, they’re brilliant, I’m sure they’re more enjoyable now they fit them with electric starts.
I agree about not liking new bikes.
Take care out there, the roads are a lot busier than they used to be and they appear to give driving licences to partially sighted people now.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:34 pm

Cheers. I've been driving with bikers eyes for the past week or so, different hazard perception, been quite interesting. I tried Hastings Direct today, utter shambles and after nearly an hour on the phone they said they wouldn't insure me nor tell me why. Looks like Bennets, just under £200 for me and the missus. I had an SP370 4 stroke single back in the day, and a DT400 2 stroke single which was utter madness, so quick off the line and unlimited ground clearance, wish I'd kept it, be worth a fortune now.

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:44 am

A mate has recently bought a DT400, mint, low mileage, US import.
A couple of small parts missing, now obtained.

I’ve got to say that I’m a bit envious of it.
It had electrical issues but I’ve sorted them for him.
I didn’t ask what he paid but friends say it was about £2k.
Bargain.
You’re right about them being a bit mad.

Return to “General Chat”