Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Is CB coming back?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Is CB coming back?

Post by airfixpilot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:57 pm

In the days before android and I phones, and maybe before Nokia 3310 (original phone), there was a communication thing called CB Radio, (Citizen Band Radio). This operated on 27 MHZ to 28 MHZ band and for public use. It was a two way radio for car, trucks and homebase use, made popular in the USA, then by a film called Convoy, staring Burt Reynolds. It was illegal in the UK, up until 1981 I think, were we in the UK were given 27Mhz on FM (frequency Modulation), rather than on the USA version of 27 Mhz AM (Amplitude Modulation).. The USA version had a advantage of SSB (single side band) and normal AM band, with a higher power output rating, over 4 watts.

After the new sets were introduced when legalised in 1981ish, the numbers of Cbers started to diminish, another factor was that you had to pay a license fee of £10. Most people didnt bother to pay the fee, but continued to use the radios, and the police were not bothered.

Although still used mostly by lorry drivers, for two way comms, it seems CB is not yet dead, even if the mobile phone is now the main way of communication. I myself was a CBer, with the handle (username/ call-sign) of Rivetclincher (dont laugh), and was on air for a number of years. Having known Doug Knight, of Knights CB in Kirton in Lindsey , for over twenty five years or more, including his mum and Dad. I still go to see him when I can at his shop, and have a chat about scanners and CB radios. He and his staff are well respected in Ham, CB & Scanner radios, including all types of antenna.

On my visit last week to Knights CB, I got talking to one of his staff about the old CB radio and how it stands now in 2018. I was suprised to learn that CB radio was still popular with car drivers, and not only Lorry drivers (Truckers). This is due to advances in the radios(RIGS), which makes them more European stranderd, were you can tune them into most if not all European CB networks. This means you can take the Rig in your car to anywhere in Europe and use their CB frequencies at a touch of a button. Another thing which I saw, was how small one type was, the CRT One CB Radio was as small as a hand and would fit into any small space in a car. The price of this set was about £40-£50ish. So I guess for around £60 you could set yourself up for basic a Rig and antenna.

Now there is no license to buy, it seems that CB is on its way way back. I found it great fun first time round, and now maybe it could be better, with the multi European frequencies, I guess you can talk to continental lorry drivers who are passing through the UK to the ports, on their own countries CB frequencies.

The only down side to CB I didn't like was the openness and silly CB 10 code which were used. Also I thought that unlike radio amatures, the government never gave or enforced a callsign system, to identified the users, it left it open to abuse in the early days. I hope this has changed in regards the abuse and daftness.

In the days of the old CB, many friends were made, and I hope it takes off in the right spirit, with fun and friendly users. :thumb:
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Re: Is CB coming back?

Post by garyscott » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

I remember a great pastime, usually on a Sunday, of bombing around in my mk3 Cortina, playing hide and seek on the CB, using signal strength to find the sheep (the guy who went out in his car to hide). You could get pretty close, and then usually look over hedgerows for the tip of the long antenna . . . :lol:

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

Convoy starred Kris Kristofferson. Burt Reynolds starred in the Smokey and the Bandit films.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:02 am

DOH sorry wrong film, but they both had CB content in..

David

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:01 am

Sorry but......

Have you got over your constipation issues? :lol: :lol:

Seriously, i dont actually think that CB has died to be reborn. That along with Ham radio have always had a following enough to keep it alive. If you are aware of the equipment required, you can see quite a few arrays around supporting their owners.
Arabest,
Geoff.

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 am

Hi Geoff,
Guess you are a CBer by the way you come across. I myself are thinking of going back to it, if it has changed from the way that it was. Namely foul mouthed(by a small minority)of people and music played over the air. The trouble is there is/was no governing on the airway. Were as Ham radio has licensed operators were by they are identified by callsign and probably held account by their conduct.

I hope it has changed .

David

David

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:25 pm

airfixpilot wrote:Hi Geoff,
Guess you are a CBer by the way you come across. I myself are thinking of going back to it, if it has changed from the way that it was. Namely foul mouthed(by a small minority)of people and music played over the air. The trouble is there is/was no governing on the airway. Were as Ham radio has licensed operators were by they are identified by callsign and probably held account by their conduct.

I hope it has changed .

David
Not a CBer but i was around a few mates in the late 80s who were. Only reason i didnt get into it myself is i wrapped(Not the modern way!) the car it would have been used in. By the time i was back on the road again, there were too many who were spoiling it for others, no spare cash and wimin!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:31 pm

ArabJazzie wrote: no spare cash and wimin!
Aren't they the same thing? :P

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Soiling it for others can be in that context as well! :whistle:

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:57 pm

I miss my mobile Superstar 360 :(

AirshowWorld

Post by AirshowWorld » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:47 pm

Hi Guys, I was asking the same questions about two months ago, is anyone still on the CB. So I created a Facebook Group, got myself a CRT 9900 from Knights, and the good news is, CB is doing very well, Its not like the bad old days of people swearing and playing music, I know some people still do that on channel 19 in some areas but most of that has gone.
So since getting back on the Radio in December 2017, I run a Thursday NET in the East Midlands and we get contacts all over the country. For sure the internet and social media are helping get people back on the radio.

Please have a look at my Facebook group, I have video of our Thursday night NET's https://www.facebook.com/groups/134879107196780/

And this is a video playlist https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... AhPcE1PmSI

I have been enjoying the radio so much, made some fantastic new friends not just in the UK but in Europe. I have even taken my Amateur Radio Licence, all since December, all thanks to CB, So yes for sure it is alive and kicking.
For anyone that wants to get an idea of a LIVE-NET on a Thursday, get Zello and I do a stream from 7 pm to 9. The Channel is East Midlands SSB Net.

Hope to hear some of you in the future 73, 26CT2652 Stuart

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Hello Stuart, thank you for the update.

I was browsing ebay last night and maybe having a midlife crisis I think they call it lol. Might get myself a rig. I used to enjoy the AM side for many years before FM was the legal way to go.

Got my eyes on one of these. But need to read up first and decide on what is best to get.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CB-HAM-Radio ... 1438.l2649

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:43 pm

PS, just sent a request to join your group (y)

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Small world Stuart, I sent you messages a few week back now asking for help setting up GPS on my Uniden 15X I bought one of them Garmin RX that you recommended. I put my questions across on youtube if you recall :thumbs:

Tarnish9

Post by Tarnish9 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:40 pm

I know I will regret it, but going to sell my AOR 8600 MII to fund a CB radio, hopefully be on the airwaves once again shortly.

airfixpilot

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:28 pm

To Tarnish9. I bought an CB radio about three months ago, and like you heard all the hype about how CB had changed. I lasted one month on air and ONLY had four contacts. So NO I think CB HAS had its day.

I Hope you have not gone and exchanged your AOR860 mk2 on a whim, as I think you may be disappointed with CB.

I have stuck with scanning as I find it interesting, even though the emergency services are now TETRA, but I have other things to hear besides airband.

David

David

Return to “General Chat”