Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

How's the Snow with you?

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
baz1

Re: How's the Snow with you?

Post by baz1 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:37 am

-1c here and a load of snow to clear around cars and drive much the same as before gritters were out last night but snow was covering roads well with the wind not helping. fine here at the min.
Comfortably Numb

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:27 am

A good 8cm on the ground here, forecast more this evening.

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:00 pm

You know it is cold when snowflakes fall both downwards and upwards at the very same time. Palm trees in Torquay apparently looking ever so slightly white. For the Scilly Isles to get a freeze? is noteworthy in itself. Nothing a good, hearty roast won't fix. Meat or veg just in case! Nut cutlet if you like.

Ps if you like your roast spuds, peel add to cold water then simmer for 15 mins, Maris piper best.. plunge into cold water and keep rinsing, add to tray with a good dollop of cooking oil, several smashed whole garlic cloves, mix well, roast 170C for 1hr or til golden. Half way through crush it a bit with a masher, mix well, maybe a bit more oil. Trust me, you can thank me later, stuff the ice and snow :thumb:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Terry - you had me until the garlic -that can go with the ice and snow. :P

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Nighthawke wrote:Terry - you had me until the garlic -that can go with the ice and snow. :P
No, no garlic a must! Didn't know it also melted snow, bonus? Could make road gritting that bit more interesting unless you're left fuming stuck behind the wagon. Literally :ninja:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:30 pm

When I said go with the ice and snow I ws referring to your final comment earlier:
Terry Tibbs wrote:... stuff the ice and snow
:lol:

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:10 pm

Nighthawke wrote:When I said go with the ice and snow I ws referring to your final comment earlier:
Terry Tibbs wrote:... stuff the ice and snow
:lol:
Snowball stuffed with a garlic clove :Wow:

As for mini or come to think any other size of beast, near on full blown blizzards near Lands End and Scillies. I think rare is the word I was looking for. White Easter anyone :ninja:

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:32 pm

It happened 10 years ago - Easter egg hunt had to be indoors that year :Wow:

3Greens

Post by 3Greens » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:11 pm

Pretty well cleared up now here on the east coast... but verry breeeezy off the sea.
I flew back into EMA late on Saturday from Treviso and eventually got down after a hold for about an hour while runway clearing had been taking place.
It was really horizontal snow. The doors on the bus from plane to arrivals even started freezing and wouldn't close .. so the handbrake wouldn't release .. a bit of 'encouragement' soon got them shut. :lol:
What did surprise me was that all the JET2 and Ryanair B737 that were parked up at end of ops on the ramp didn't have engine covers fitted and the snow was building up in the intakes quite badly - I thought after seeing the KC135's at Mildenhall all 'buttoned up' against the weather looking after engines would have been the number 1 task, and saved a big job clearing them out next morning.
Or is it just me :S

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:01 pm

A few places higher up still have some remnants of snow and ice from previous colder spells, despite a relatively milder interlude. Different climate up on them hills and mountains.

Was talk of more however much still undecided. April is of course known for its showers, rest assured a little warmth is not going to be too far away even if a tussle continues between the seasons. Lighter evenings etc., now showing their upper hand.

Return to “General Chat”