Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Europe - pause for thought

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
TankBuster

Re: Europe - pause for thought

Post by TankBuster » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:09 pm

The Conservatives really bu@@er things up one way and the Labour Party would really bu@@er things up another way!

Either way both parties couldn't organise a pi@@ up in a brewery and that just about sums it all up :grr: :grr: :grr: .

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:18 pm

Basically, me and 'Tankbuster' sing from the same hymn sheet :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:37 pm

paddyboy wrote:Basically, me and 'Tankbuster' sing from the same hymn sheet :lol:
I'll include myself in that as well :thumb:

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:42 pm

Come on politicians, give us a chance to vote on the final deal or no deal.
I know that the (small) majority voted out, but this is important. The biggest decision ever for Great Britain & Northern Ireland outside of a war.
Give people the chance to vote on hard facts and figures this time and not utter bull****.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:24 pm

So, we are all very good at slagging both parties off, but does anyone else have any solutions other than criticisms??????

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Well, firstly I disagreed with the referendum on the first place. Its terms of reference were very unclear as to what the 'EU' actually was, therefore what we were actually voting on, but I disagreed with getting rid of the Harrier force too so there we are. There really isn't a hope that any one person can fully grasp all the ins and outs of membership of the different European organisations, expecting the electorate to know what to do was a cop out by the politicians, it's their job to make decisions like that on our behalf, that's what they're paid for. So in the end the vote for everyone was an emotional one, not factual. The fact that there was an appetite for the referendum in the first place made the people in Brussels etc sit up, even Juncker agreed that the EU had become too powerful in its control of nation's own policies, and was interfering too much in day to day life, he said so in a speech and said it had to be dealt with, however it wasn't widely reported. We had a chance to effect change from a position of power within the 'EU', the threat of leaving would've been a huge lever, but instead we're now not in a position to dictate anything or any change, and there's no way the UK's leaving can be allowed to be a success, or the whole thing will fall apart and in my view that's not worth thinking about. Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee as this unfolds.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Here we go again ... :roll:

The sick, lame and lazy, the doomsayers, the can't fight and the won't fight, those that have no pride in our history and our values, the snowflakes and the powderpuffs, the (re)moaners and the groaners ... get over yourselves.

What is it about the word OUT that you don't understand, we have voted and we are leaving. :roll:

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Tally-ho. I have travelled much of the world, and I can tell you that England is a GREAT place to live compared to pretty well everywhere else!, I am very proud to be English [that's my nationality, not British!], and I find that your comments about people who simply have a different view to you rather worrying. Yes, we most certainly voted to leave. Was it the right decision? Time will tell. Personally, I feel it was wrong, and I don't fit any of your not very pleasing descriptions!!!!!!. Winston Churchill had a good hand signal!!.

Firefighter

Post by Firefighter » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:18 pm

All this talk reminds me of the lyrics to the Eagles Hotel California. "You check-out any time you like, but you can never leave|"

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:28 am

Tally-ho wrote:Here we go again ... :roll:

The sick, lame and lazy, the doomsayers, the can't fight and the won't fight, those that have no pride in our history and our values, the snowflakes and the powderpuffs, the (re)moaners and the groaners ... get over yourselves.

What is it about the word OUT that you don't understand, we have voted and we are leaving. :roll:
As Jem says I don't fit any of these descriptions, but your comment just proves my comment about people being driven by emotion and gut instinct rather than facts. Should we continue with the process if ultimatley it will harm the UK? Should we continue with the process if the politicians are making a mess of it?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Sparts99 wrote:
Tally-ho wrote:Here we go again ... :roll:

As Jem says I don't fit any of these descriptions, but your comment just proves my comment about people being driven by emotion and gut instinct rather than facts. Should we continue with the process if ultimatley it will harm the UK? Should we continue with the process if the politicians are making a mess of it?
Do you have a crystal ball? If not I suspect determining if the process will "harm" the UK is somewhat more difficult than people think.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:00 pm

Again, re-inforcing my point that it shouldn't have gone to a referendum. No I don't have a crystal ball and obviously I don't want the process to fail but the majority of business leaders and economic academics say it isn't a good idea then I'll go with their judgement, they know more than me.

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:35 pm

Multi millionaire David Cameron’s party promised an EU referendum as part of the manifesto in the 2015 general election. That party won that election. It is likely this promise was significant in the outcome.

The referendum took place in 2016.

Due to the majority of the electorate not having a clue what they were voting for or against, a result was obtained. OUT!

On this result, David Cameron resigned, leaving others sort the mess.

That’s why we are now in the position we find ourselves in.
Not rocket science.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:26 pm

1. A democratic referendum was undertaken.
2. A result was obtained.
3. Govt deal with it.
4. Public accept/get over it.
5. Move on.

RM opines
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:09 pm

1. A democratic referendum was undertaken.
Which was non-binding.....so the rest of your points are moot. Everything that followed was done for party and/or personal interests, not the good of the country.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:18 pm

Exactly, party political infighting and personal ambition.

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Could someone tell me how many zeros there are in 50 billion Euros? I'm trying to work out how much that is divided by the Population.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:50 pm

In short - 10. 50 thousand million or approx £750 per person (assuming population at 66m

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:44 pm

But, for that, you will get £350,000,000 (three hundred and fifty million pounds), direct for the NHS, EVERY WEEK :roll:
And, complete control of UK immigration, presumably that means on a global scale, or does that bit mean something else :whistle:

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm

Dan D'Air wrote:Could someone tell me how many zeros there are in 50 billion Euros? I'm trying to work out how much that is divided by the Population.
50 Billion Euros
https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=JvQe ... CPhtFaYLSc

That is £44,128,000,000, in words, forty-four billion, one hundred and twenty-eight million pounds.

Divided by total UK population 65.64 million (2016) from:
(https://www.google.co.uk/search?ei=9fce ... dcwI3w6s2g

Over 1 year, that’s £672 each, or £12.92 a week, including newborns and pensioners.

Over 10 years, obviously £67.20 each a year, per person.

I trust we all have that spare, and can make up for the newborns and pensioners.

Good ‘ere init :whistle:
Last edited by martmpf on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “General Chat”