Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Europe - pause for thought

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
d555

Re: Europe - pause for thought

Post by d555 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 pm

"But, for that, you will get £350,000,000 (three hundred and fifty million pounds), direct for the NHS, EVERY WEEK :roll: "

I've never believed it was that amount. But, can you tell me just how much we do pay to the EU every week ( I won't hold my breath because no two people can agree on the same figure).

Even if that figure is only half of the 350m that is still an obscene amount to pay to be a member of a elite trade organisation run by failed politicians. I'm sure our own politicians can find something to do with that money , but whatever it is people like you and I will not see the benefit from it.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:11 pm

Err martinpf - suggest you recalculate it is £672 per person NOT 6.72 million.

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:29 pm

Sorry Nighthawk, you are correct, it's all the noughts! :Oops:
Post edited.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:44 pm

There seems to be a view the UK pays whatever it is per week or month to the EU and gets nothing back, which is just not true. The UK doesn't get back what it has paid directly in regional grants etc, but it does get free and unfettered access to the biggest single market on the planet and overall benefits hugely. Yes the rest of the world is a bigger market, but it isn't right on our doorstep, and as part of the biggest single market we have been able to take advantage of favourable trading terms, far better than we can expect as the UK alone. On that basis alone we are better off within the EU, let alone industrial links, research, education etc.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Blue Diamond

Post by Blue Diamond » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:47 pm

James Cutting wrote:I’m sorry, but if someone could please outline the benefits that the Tories would bring to us youngsters, the people who are going to be most affected by Brexit, then please, do go ahead and let me know.

Again, typical Tory blame game to blame the previous party in charge. :whistle:
Labour are just the same. When they're in power they blame the Tories that went before them. Standard political ploy.
Fighting 92 - The King Cobras
http://www.92squadron.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.92squadron.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:11 am

Agree totally with Sparts. Why I would have wished to remain in the EU, it isn't going to happen, and I have to accept it, as all us 'weak minded people, with no pride in Britain, powder puffs etc etc., ' as someone earlier described us, have to. Not the right decision, and we will suffer as a result. Don't blame those who wished to remain!!!.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 pm

d555 wrote:"But, for that, you will get £350,000,000 (three hundred and fifty million pounds), direct for the NHS, EVERY WEEK :roll: "

I've never believed it was that amount. But, can you tell me just how much we do pay to the EU every week ( I won't hold my breath because no two people can agree on the same figure).

Even if that figure is only half of the 350m that is still an obscene amount to pay to be a member of a elite trade organisation run by failed politicians. I'm sure our own politicians can find something to do with that money , but whatever it is people like you and I will not see the benefit from it.
The UK EU contribution is a matter of fact according to the Office of National Statistics:

Contribution (after Maggie's 5bn rebate) £13.9 bn
UK gets back EU funded public sector credits £4.4 bn
Net UK annual contribution 9.5bn
(According to the ONS the UK receives a further 1bn directly into the public sector for example UK universities research funding)

To put the 9.5 bn into perspective total annual public sector spending is £814 bn including public sector debt interest of 45 bn!

Health spending : 140 bn
Public Pensions. : 161 bn
Defence : 45 bn
Social security. :. 114 bn
Public sector debt interest : 45 bn

So the EU contribution of 10 bn although a large number represents about a 1% saving in public spending - but at what cost to the economy and subsequent effect on tax revenues?

Hopefully the UK will step up and produce more and import less - that is up to us - don't keep buying Chinese electronic gadgets and buy British cars (mmmmmm Rover!), Kick Irish beef into touch.

By the way I believe that many people voted out on the immigration ticket - which I can understand
In 2000 4% of the population were non UK nationals
In 2016 10% of the population were non UK nationals (6 % from the EU)

I voted to remain but the bloddy minded attitude of some of the EU Brexit negotiation team has given me a bit of a " sod them we're off " attitude

Just my early evening rambling
Summary : Basically I am saying the financial cost of membership is peanuts compared to the public sector spend.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:36 am

slogen51 wrote:By the way I believe that many people voted out on the immigration ticket - which I can understand
In 2000 4% of the population were non UK nationals
In 2016 10% of the population were non UK nationals (6 % from the EU).
I feel sure it was all to do with immigration - and likewise if Blair and subsequent leaders had addressed the problem and tried to do something positive about it, rather than just ignoring it (in the case of Cameron being all talk and doing nothing) then it would have never come to a referendum and the majority would have been quite happy to carry along being in the EU.

C24

Post by C24 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:22 pm

What happened to democracy?

https://www.politico.eu/article/martin- ... l-servant/

The EU seems to be organised by a private club for the benefit of the organisers. :grr:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Return to “General Chat”