Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Waterproofing Jackets

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pune

Waterproofing Jackets

Post by Pune » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:24 pm

Hi Folks,
Need to re-proof my Berghaus jacket, read many reviews but still not sure of reliable results.
Any info' appreciated.
Cheers
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

reheat module

Re: Waterproofing Jackets

Post by reheat module » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Best stuff I've used is a product that I got for both Barbours
A decent quality outfitters should stock it.
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:19 am

If it's a Gor-tex jacket then a wash and line dry followed by 30mins in the tumble drier should suffice. If the DWR coating has reduced over time then Nikwax TX Direct is what I would recommend. Not sure what Barbour product you used but was that for waxed jackets, if so I wouldn't be putting it anywhere near gor-tex.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:41 am

Thunder wrote:If it's a Gor-tex jacket then a wash and line dry followed by 30mins in the tumble drier should suffice. If the DWR coating has reduced over time then Nikwax TX Direct is what I would recommend. Not sure what Barbour product you used but was that for waxed jackets, if so I wouldn't be putting it anywhere near gor-tex.
+ 1 for the Nikwax TX Direct used it on my waterproof earlier this year & it sorted it out. There's also a 2nd liquid that you use to wash the jacket 1st as well.
Purchased from Blacks or Cotswold outdoor.

daggerfan

Post by daggerfan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:42 pm

Andy_99 wrote:
Thunder wrote:If it's a Gor-tex jacket then a wash and line dry followed by 30mins in the tumble drier should suffice. If the DWR coating has reduced over time then Nikwax TX Direct is what I would recommend. Not sure what Barbour product you used but was that for waxed jackets, if so I wouldn't be putting it anywhere near gor-tex.
+ 1 for the Nikwax TX Direct used it on my waterproof earlier this year & it sorted it out. There's also a 2nd liquid that you use to wash the jacket 1st as well.
Purchased from Blacks or Cotswold outdoor.
The second liquid is Nikwax Tech Wash, which you should use first to clean your jacket, then use Nikwax TX.Direct to proof it. I use both products regularly on my Paramo jacket and it's as waterproof and breathable now as it was when I bought it 20 years ago! It says on both the Nikwax bottles that they are recommended for Gore-Tex and e-Vent garments. Available from most outdoor shops.

If you use washing powder and conditioner in your normal washes remember to give your machine's detergent drawer a good scrub before using these Nikwax products, because ordinary detergent can impair their effectiveness.

GreenBat

Post by GreenBat » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Both Nikwax products on offer for just £7 at https://www.millets.co.uk/ at the moment

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:19 pm

+ 1 on Millets & Nikwax products. :thumb: If you don't have a Branch nearby, it's readily available on-line with free-delivery from several suppliers.

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Agree on the Nikwax products. Samples on Nikwax quiz free (Google).
One important point is you must NOT wash these waterproof items conventionally with ordinary washing powder or any other normal detergent. Removes all waterproofing, probably forever.

Pune

Post by Pune » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:57 pm

Thanks guys, brilliant response, looks like it's Nikwax for me.
Thanks everyone.
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:06 pm

I find my local Millets is expensive for all Nikwax.
Plenty cheaper on eBay and found on Google
I use the Tech Wash, then the TX Direct as suggested by others.

Return to “General Chat”