Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

DLA( Disabled Living Allowance )

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Cornish-guy

DLA( Disabled Living Allowance )

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:14 am

Folks just a Heads Up.

Anyone who is thinking about claiming DLA due to illness or onset of health condition, you are in for a real fight and frustration filled time.

The old DLA Disabaled Living Allowance has been abolished and replaced with a Thing called PIP Personal Independence Payment, its desingned to limit help to either the near dead or druggies, everyone else does not stand a chance of getting it.

There are many internet links where this is discussed in detail - go have a look you will see what I mean.

Take no notice of the dot gov site for info as this does not reflect realism.

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

ChrisCwmbran

Re: DLA( Disabled Living Allowance )

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 am

They have to do something to reduce the number of fakers and false claimants.

Once they weed out the dross, hopefully they might be able to help the legitimate claimants more.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:49 am

Here's a few bits of reading on the subject -

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2 ... -benenefit

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/health/cons ... -1-5114255

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 57434.html

Just a few of many many case studies about this disgraceful situation.

C.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:38 am

News paper reports! The true definition of impartial objectivity.

When a new system is rolled out to hundreds of thousands if not millions of people some problems are inevitable. I'm not saying they are acceptable - but the articles you cite show that on appeal non-dubious applications do get resolved.

Your bitterness about this subject suggests you have had a negative experience with the system - In which case I'd suggest you get your appeal in ASAP.

That said from my personal experience with you I might suggest you think first.

Supra

Post by Supra » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:36 pm

)Having read the article sources you cite, it's clear that mistakes can & do occur. It's also a fact that many, many more claims are currently WRONGLY paid-out compared to wrongly disallowed genuine cases.
In the articles you linked to, the circumstances are NOT as clear-cut as they would first appear...
a)Take the car crash lady, the article doesn't indicate fault for the incident. If she was not at fault & therefore a blameless victim, it's entirely likely she would've been awarded compensation Damages? (to help with her care)
b)The lady whose husband & daughter both live in the same house with her, the daughter hasn't started college yet & the husband may never get work again, yet enjoys good heath apparently? They can lift the heavy pans & clean the house until such time as circumstances change. The correct decision in my view!
I'm sorry to say that the old DLA/ new PIP isn't a financial income vehicle....it's to provide care & assistance to those that don't have the ability to do it themselves & no family/partner to assist, whether resident or not!
In your first post 'CG' you correctly identify the 'near dead' (only then, if they can't look after themselves ;) ) which I totally agree with. Your second group of 'druggies' (including alcoholics & criminals I assume?) wrongly IMO get unconditional support for f*@#king-up their own lives! I know of many cases of genuine hardship, but they just struggle-on & don't bitch about it.

As with the Chris C. post above, I'm thinking you come across as a perceived victim, not a champion for the cause! :unsure:

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Supra wrote:)Having read the article sources you cite, it's clear that mistakes can & do occur. It's also a fact that many, many more claims are currently WRONGLY paid-out compared to wrongly disallowed genuine cases.
In the articles you linked to, the circumstances are NOT as clear-cut as they would first appear...
a)Take the car crash lady, the article doesn't indicate fault for the incident. If she was not at fault & therefore a blameless victim, it's entirely likely she would've been awarded compensation Damages? (to help with her care)
b)The lady whose husband & daughter both live in the same house with her, the daughter hasn't started college yet & the husband may never get work again, yet enjoys good heath apparently? They can lift the heavy pans & clean the house until such time as circumstances change. The correct decision in my view!
I'm sorry to say that the old DLA/ new PIP isn't a financial income vehicle....it's to provide care & assistance to those that don't have the ability to do it themselves & no family/partner to assist, whether resident or not!
In your first post 'CG' you correctly identify the 'near dead' (only then, if they can't look after themselves ;) ) which I totally agree with. Your second group of 'druggies' (including alcoholics & criminals I assume?) wrongly IMO get unconditional support for f*@#king-up their own lives! I know of many cases of genuine hardship, but they just struggle-on & don't bitch about it.

As with the Chris C. post above, I'm thinking you come across as a perceived victim, not a champion for the cause! :unsure:

Here is another link I have found - http://tanyamarlow.com/why-this-governm ... la-vs-pip/

There are hundreads of pages of similar links of real situations of people who have been on DLA for many different genuine health conditions, who have been refused PIP even with letters form their own doctors, yet completely the wrong sort of people just get it.

Its not a fair system and in truth it has seen thousands of genuine people loose and essensial financial benefit.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:49 pm

And there are probably tens of thousands of fakers who have rightly now been denied the payment - and they too are probably quite sour about it.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:59 pm

It will be interesting to hear of someone on here and how they get on trying to cliam PIP and their circustances, there must be folk on here who have experienced this?

C.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:33 am

My Wife currently claims DLA & ESA(support group) as she has Physical(damaged disc's in her lower Spine, so requires crutch's to aid her walking which is only short distances) & Mental health issues, so not had the "Joy" of switching over. If it was like the change from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, it's going to be a nightmare. ATOS did that & trying to get a Home visit took the intervention of our Assembly Member,as ATOS ignored a letter sent from her GP. The Doctor? they sent was from from Turkey or Greece(I can't remember which) & was on attachment to ATOS. He could hardly speak or understand English & had not even read my Wife's notes!!. When we got the decision, it was a refusal. When we asked for a copy of the report he had put my Wife could walk normally & for a good distance, also lift heavy objects!!!! We filled an appeal & the Lady Doctor that was sent out couldn't have been nicer & my Wife was awarded ESA. We understand that PIP is more to do with Personal help(washing,dressing etc) so are expecting a refusal as she doesn't need so much help with that. We also understand that the PM has been asked to pause the swap over due to the large number of complaints(several MP's including Tory's have written a letter her about this)

daveanj

Post by daveanj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:53 am

I claim pip after an industrial injury I had after claiming dla originally after a massive fight and 2 appeals I eventually won my case taking 18 tablets a day all with horrendous side effects (morphine included) what people think are scrounges it has been proven that less than 2% of the people on dla were prosecuted it has cost more money with all the appeals and accessors looking into it than it would to have paid out the pip to people who need it for the next 10 years plus how can somebody assess you in 1/2 an hour and they have no medical qualifications they have just stopped a friend of mines she has MS she has just started the appeal they told the waiting list is 6-9 months if your white British you have no chance??? Makes me sick that people think we are scrounging I got £24064 .00 for my accident originally and the government took £22000.00 from that because they had paid me incapacity benefit.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:53 am

welshandy wrote:My Wife currently claims DLA & ESA(support group) as she has Physical(damaged disc's in her lower Spine, so requires crutch's to aid her walking which is only short distances) & Mental health issues, so not had the "Joy" of switching over. If it was like the change from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, it's going to be a nightmare. ATOS did that & trying to get a Home visit took the intervention of our Assembly Member,as ATOS ignored a letter sent from her GP. The Doctor? they sent was from from Turkey or Greece(I can't remember which) & was on attachment to ATOS. He could hardly speak or understand English & had not even read my Wife's notes!!. When we got the decision, it was a refusal. When we asked for a copy of the report he had put my Wife could walk normally & for a good distance, also lift heavy objects!!!! We filled an appeal & the Lady Doctor that was sent out couldn't have been nicer & my Wife was awarded ESA. We understand that PIP is more to do with Personal help(washing,dressing etc) so are expecting a refusal as she doesn't need so much help with that. We also understand that the PM has been asked to pause the swap over due to the large number of complaints(several MP's including Tory's have written a letter her about this)
I think, unless I am mistaken, that the contract has now been taken away from ATOS.

It's good that you were able to sort it in the end. Whilst it may have been a pain I assume however that you would rather that they cut back on those non-deserving cases potentially paying more to people who really are deserving cases?

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:58 am

daveanj wrote:Makes me sick that people think we are scrounging
I don't think any tax payer would begrudge payments to people who have a legitimate case - and as I've indicated before, if we can cut the amount being paid to the non-deserving, perhaps we could pay even more.

As I've also said, any changes to a system with such a huge amount of people involved is bound to result in some issues - and I know for those people it isn't an acceptable thing to happen. Clearly they do need to resolve this, however I assume you would also agree that the government needs to ensure that payments do go to those with a real legitimate need?
Last edited by ChrisCwmbran on Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daveanj

Post by daveanj » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes I do but what annoys me going off subject the amount MP”S claim for there expensive sand as you say the normal tax payer has to fund everything out of the wage they earn ? Sorry if I have gone off subject I could go on about migrants nhs and many other things but will leave that for another time ! It makes you feel like a criminal having to go through all the assessments then appeals with people who are not qualified in that field what is wrong with your own doctors opinion who has treated you for many a year and has your medical notes at his disposal I didn’t mean to have a go at anybody in my last post so I’m sorry if I have if your genuinely disabled it is so frustrating.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:32 pm

welshandy wrote:My Wife currently claims DLA & ESA(support group) as she has Physical(damaged disc's in her lower Spine, so requires crutch's to aid her walking which is only short distances) & Mental health issues, so not had the "Joy" of switching over. If it was like the change from Incapacity Benefit to ESA, it's going to be a nightmare. ATOS did that & trying to get a Home visit took the intervention of our Assembly Member,as ATOS ignored a letter sent from her GP. The Doctor? they sent was from from Turkey or Greece(I can't remember which) & was on attachment to ATOS. He could hardly speak or understand English & had not even read my Wife's notes!!. When we got the decision, it was a refusal. When we asked for a copy of the report he had put my Wife could walk normally & for a good distance, also lift heavy objects!!!! We filled an appeal & the Lady Doctor that was sent out couldn't have been nicer & my Wife was awarded ESA. We understand that PIP is more to do with Personal help(washing,dressing etc) so are expecting a refusal as she doesn't need so much help with that. We also understand that the PM has been asked to pause the swap over due to the large number of complaints(several MP's including Tory's have written a letter her about this)
Yes its a very very frustrating time the whole journey from being in full time work(The wife was senior nursing staff) to DLA then the change over from DLA to PIP.
Our situation is - my wife has been on long term DLA supported by her doctor due to her having CFS, PTSD a Heart condition, Diabetes and just recently after having utrasound, she has eight malignant tumurs and possibly more un detected.
She has been turned down no less than 3 times for PIP despite having a last assesment for DLA accepted(PIP just canceled that without warning)

Some folk might think "whats all the hassle with this benefit" well it does make quite a difference helping with getting about to and from hospitals or even doctors, as the hospital cars that were available have been cut back.
My wife also can only walk short distances aided with a walking stick and my arm, but this is very dependent on her having a good day with her CFS.

C.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:42 pm

Cornish-guy wrote:
Yes its a very very frustrating time the whole journey from being in full time work(The wife was senior nursing staff) to DLA then the change over from DLA to PIP.
Our situation is - my wife has been on long term DLA supported by her doctor due to her having CFS, PTSD a Heart condition, Diabetes and just recently after having utrasound, she has eight malignant tumurs and possibly more un detected.
She has been turned down no less than 3 times for PIP despite having a last assesment for DLA accepted(PIP just canceled that without warning)

Some folk might think "whats all the hassle with this benefit" well it does make quite a difference helping with getting about to and from hospitals or even doctors, as the hospital cars that were available have been cut back.
My wife also can only walk short distances aided with a walking stick and my arm, but this is very dependent on her having a good day with her CFS.

C.
Well as the above cases displayed, whilst delays aren't desirable, if her case is legitimate she will get it eventually.

In the mean time when it comes to getting to hospital etc, the vast majority of people have a support network be it made up of family or friends to help them where necessary.

I don't know about anyone else, but where I was well disposed to help you and went well out of my way to do so, your badgering and selfish attitude soon resulted in the situation where the last thing I'd do is help you. If you don't have such a support group you might wish to think about the reasons....

I hope for your wife's sake they make the correct decision for her soon.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:01 pm

daveanj wrote:I claim pip after an industrial injury I had after claiming dla originally after a massive fight and 2 appeals I eventually won my case taking 18 tablets a day all with horrendous side effects (morphine included) what people think are scrounges it has been proven that less than 2% of the people on dla were prosecuted it has cost more money with all the appeals and accessors looking into it than it would to have paid out the pip to people who need it for the next 10 years plus how can somebody assess you in 1/2 an hour and they have no medical qualifications they have just stopped a friend of mines she has MS she has just started the appeal they told the waiting list is 6-9 months if your white British you have no chance??? Makes me sick that people think we are scrounging I got £24064 .00 for my accident originally and the government took £22000.00 from that because they had paid me incapacity benefit.

The off putting thing with the face to face assesment is - you can have all the written evidence from your doctor sitting there, and all the medication taken, and in the case of home visits - you kind of get led to believe that the assesor can see your genuine situation, or even told (like in our situation) that they are not there to take it away from you, then off they go you feel certain that your benefit will be put back where it was (esp when your condition has deteriorated).
And so many weeks later you get turned down over something you never said to them.

And despite several phone calls to them you are just told you need to appeal via a court.

C.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:51 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Cornish-guy wrote:

C.
I don't know about anyone else, but where I was well disposed to help you and went well out of my way to do so, your badgering and selfish attitude soon resulted in the situation where the last thing I'd do is help you. If you don't have such a support group you might wish to think about the reasons....

I hope for your wife's sake they make the correct decision for her soon.
I appreciated your lifts and am thankfull for them, I also gave you money for the petrol and asked several times if it was enough(you said yes more than enough) I also tried to get you to take more money in kindness for your lifts. So in fairness I was very thankfull to you.

Please do not correspond with me - I am Not interested I have enough upset worrying about my wife.

C.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:15 pm

An interesting find P.I.P ATOS are lieing about assessments during interviews despite evidence being provided my those applying for it. -

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/p ... se-to-act/

C.

onemac

Post by onemac » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:19 pm

I was on the lowest DLA available but have deteriorated quite a bit in the past few years so I've just applied for PIP and will let you know how I get on (probably after the appeal) :roll:

Al

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

onemac wrote:I was on the lowest DLA available but have deteriorated quite a bit in the past few years so I've just applied for PIP and will let you know how I get on (probably after the appeal) :roll:

Al
Good luck and all the best I sincerely hope you get it.

Return to “General Chat”