Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Wifi connected vehicles

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
C24

Wifi connected vehicles

Post by C24 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:24 am

CONVOYs mixed with normal traffic. :S

I caught part of a news report about the coming Government road trial(s) of lorries/trucks being linked through Wifi.

Significant points were:

1. To reduce fuel use.
(The 1973 fuel crisis resulted in a UK wide speed limit of 55mph).

2. Up to three vehicles would be linked; vehicles two & three would have a dormant driver in each vehicle. The first driver would be required to be sober, awake & fit.

3. The gap between the vehicles would be set at 4 metres.

Has anyone located accurate details of these trials? I have done a couple of searches without success.

If the 4 metre gap between vehicles is correct, perhaps it could be adopted throughout the country as a standard.

No more lorries/trucks sitting a metre from my tow bar. Fat chance of that happening.

Enjoy the good weather, perfect for flying :clap:
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Skymaster

Re: Wifi connected vehicles

Post by Skymaster » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:13 am

What happens when wifi goes down and vehicle number one hits the brakes? :halo:

With only a 4 metres gap, the dormant [asleep?] drivers behind don't stand a chance...

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:58 am

I can't remember where I read it now, but I saw somewhere last year that the trials were potentially going to be run on a section of M6 motorway around Carlisle and the borders (a relatively quiet section), with the trucks being operated by Sobarts.

One of my big concerns is that when approaching a slower vehicle the first one will pull out, and the following two will blindly follow regardless of whether there is (for example) a motorcycle next to them, or anything closing rapidly on them in the second lane! :S

Regards, Steve

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:36 pm

Why not just add a trailer to each HGV? No need for additional drivers but probably no redundancies either, a proper wired link to brakes and lights and ,presumably, cheaper to buid than another tractor unit.
There's also the issues of what happens once the "platoon" is off the motorway network; what about the 2 vehicle space between cars we are all meant to keep on the roads and overtaking. The latter is a real issue on the A14 in Northamptonshire, there are a couple of stretches where HGVs are not allowed to overtake; the number, mostly eastern European, which flout this law becasue it isn't enforced is a real danger.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:38 pm

Skymaster wrote:What happens when wifi goes down and vehicle number one hits the brakes? :halo:

With only a 4 metres gap, the dormant [asleep?] drivers behind don't stand a chance...
From what was said on all the new programs, driver 2 & 3 will still be steering the vehicles, so can take over at any time. The Wi-Fi signal will control speed and breaking, but 4 meters is too close to react to anything.

I work for a haulage firm, spoke to a lot of the drivers about it. Every single one said what a load of crap :lol: Very rarely do the haulage firm send two lorries to the same destination at the same time, three never happens. It might work for some firms that move multiple bits of machinery etc.

So do the government expect just any only random lorries with the system installed to just join up?
Posh are going to Wembley (albeit for a tin cup)

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:19 pm

Gary wrote: From what was said on all the new programs, driver 2 & 3 will still be steering the vehicles, so can take over at any time. The Wi-Fi signal will control speed and breaking, but 4 meters is too close to react to anything.

I work for a haulage firm, spoke to a lot of the drivers about it. Every single one said what a load of crap :lol: Very rarely do the haulage firm send two lorries to the same destination at the same time, three never happens. It might work for some firms that move multiple bits of machinery etc.

So do the government expect just any only random lorries with the system installed to just join up?
Thing is though, with a company like Stobart, how many times do you pass 3-6 of their vehicles on a motorway within a short space of time? I can say any time ive seen one, you usually see anything between 2 and 10 others, all heading the same direction. In their case, this will benefit them greatly as they travel depot to depot.

And i expect that the long term expectation is that all HGVs will employ this technology, but will the savings justify the outlay? Maybe for Stobarts, but what about the owner driver buying one unit? Stobarts buying say 1000 units will get a massive discount where the single guys has to pay full price.

And does the technology fit all of the vehicles on the road these days?
Arabest,
Geoff.

Return to “General Chat”