Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

London fire

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Thunder

Re: London fire

Post by Thunder » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 pm

The largest AP available is the 341ft Bronto Skylift, which requires at least a 6 axle chassis, absolutely no way you're getting that around our cities and towns.

https://youtu.be/6ygr9vpfDdg

The tower block would've been fitted with Dry risers anyway and the only benefit in a case like Grenfell would be to use the AP to position hose teams further up the building, but in this case you would've been putting the fire crews to certain death, which wouldn't stand too well in court at a later day. The only logical although expensive answer to prevent anything like this happening again is to fit sprinkler systems especially in the fire escape with normally doubles as the fire crews access which again is not a good idea(therefore a dedicated fire access stairwell would also be good planning).

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Thunder wrote:The largest AP available is the 341ft Bronto Skylift, which requires at least a 6 axle chassis, absolutely no way you're getting that around our cities and towns.

https://youtu.be/6ygr9vpfDdg

The tower block would've been fitted with Dry risers anyway and the only benefit in a case like Grenfell would be to use the AP to position hose teams further up the building, but in this case you would've been putting the fire crews to certain death, which wouldn't stand too well in court at a later day.
Crackin motor that! But i wonder how often an anemometer would spin as slow as that in this country? I would think the wind limits would be exceeded quite quickly most days. And how would fully equipped Fire Fighters access their chosen flat from the ALP/TL? H&S is bad enough for me standing 2m off the ground on a guardrailed fixed platform.
Thunder wrote: The only logical although expensive answer to prevent anything like this happening again is to fit sprinkler systems especially in the fire escape with normally doubles as the fire crews access which again is not a good idea(therefore a dedicated fire access stairwell would also be good planning).
But Grenfell tower and any other tower around the country is built this way already. They all have a supposed safe area as a means of escape and access for fire crews with as you say, the dry riser within the structure of this area. Even the landing areas for each floor are expected to remain safe for an adequate length of time. In this case, the flat contained the fire internally as it should have done and was dealt with by the fire crews who went in. What happened externally while they were doing this is close to being fully understood and we must learn from that! Its most certainly not a fire crews shoulda coulda!

As for sprinklers, the regulations that the building was built to has been proved to work in a fire situation before. And yes sprinklers would be very expensive to fit, and they would also be very expensive to maintain! But can they be retrofitted to a block like this? And how many accidents by little kids would occur causing water damage?

Anyway, it was a Hotpoint fridge that started all this, so i would check the model numbers and get it checked!

SG1

Post by SG1 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:32 pm

As for sprinklers, the regulations that the building was built to has been proved to work in a fire situation before. And yes sprinklers would be very expensive to fit, and they would also be very expensive to maintain! But can they be retrofitted to a block like this? And how many accidents by little kids would occur causing water damage?

Anyway, it was a Hotpoint fridge that started all this, so i would check the model numbers and get it checked![/quote]

When I was fitting Sprinkler system in large stores, the firm I worked for would charge about £120.000.00 for a building with say 300 heads.
And that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity,
from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been,
and are being, evolved.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:15 pm

Thank SG1,
Depending on how many are fitted per flat, the number i have come up with is 570+ for a building like Grenfell! If you are talking about £120k for a new building installation, i would not like to think how much it would cost to find routes for all the pipes required. Would the roof be able to support a water tank to feed the system?

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:42 pm

Coincidence there is another Fire in a Block of Flats in Bethnal Green. Judging by the Photo's on the report looks like confined to one flat & roof area above(not cladding related)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40392587

Return to “General Chat”