Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Windows 10 info'

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
Pune

Windows 10 info'

Post by Pune » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:32 pm

Hi Folks,
Need some info' on Windows 10; just had new PC and kept with windows 7 as it works a treat for me, however now getting message that updates cannot be uploaded as hardware is not compatible, Windows 10 required!!
Any info' appreciated, can I upgrade to 10 from 7 easily, does it have any really problematic anomalies that you have come across?
Cheers guys, and galls..
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Re: Windows 10 info'

Post by garyscott » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:20 am

When 10 was initially rolled out, there were many teething troubles, leading to many, many keyboard thumping moments. However, 10 is perfectly usable now, and stable, but has an annoying tendency to b1tch and moan when it needs to "restart to install an update", the longest time mine has taken to restart after an update (the last one ironically!) was 84 minutes!!

10 is ok, i just feel that it was forced upon me because all support for the other OS's was stopped, or the dreaded "no longer compatible" message!
I was perfectly happy with 7 . . . . . :(

Usernamegoeshere

Post by Usernamegoeshere » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:29 am

dont get it until youve seen far more info about what it does

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:47 am

Upgraded my laptop from 7 to 10 and have a PC running 10 and still not had any problems.

As long as the hardware is compatible with the software you shouldn't have a problem.

Brian

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:09 am

I bought a new Windows 10 Laptop a few months ago and have had no issues. The files and method of operation is very similar to Windows 7, which I used before. To transfer all of my old computer onto the new one I used a simple 16GB memory stick.
Yes, there are some new features which is lost on me and one or two daft applications like the 'One Drive' which is 'cloud' storage space but with limited capacity, the idea being that it is for shared editing of files. You eventually arrange and organise files and stuff the way you want it and life carries on. Windows 10 had a large update taking more than 1 hour to download and install yesterday :roll: with more new features and some nonsense :huh: ....

New technology and software is a fact of life, trying to buck the trend or stop it is not possible. Some of us swear by tinkering with the old banger and keeping it going, some of us just go to the showroom and add to our debt driving off in a shiny new one.

Don't be afraid of Windows 10.

Pune

Post by Pune » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:20 am

Hi Guys.
Thank you so much for your excellent observations, interesting stuff, time to absord info'and make a decision..thanks again.
Pune
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 am

Bought a new tower with 10 on it, no problems at all. New interface for emails rc is great
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:17 pm

My wife and I have a tower system each, both running 10.
For my business, I run 2 laptops, both on 7.
To be honest, I'm more comfortable on 7.
Mind you, if XP were still available, everything would be on that! (loved it).
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 am

Hello. :D

Speaking of XP, I received a message from Firefox stating that from September17 they will no longer offer support. I guess that I will need to move stuff :(
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Pune

Post by Pune » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks everyone, 10 it is quite soon.
Cheers
Pune

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Meanwhile I have spent the last 15 hours scanning my machine with Windows Defender (it actually worked fro once) and found a Trojan that appears to have uploaded via Hewlett Packard Games (I don't play any) I assume the 5 hours it took to delete/kill or whatever means i have got rid of it?

darn Hackers

T

Return to “General Chat”