Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Speeding drivers are facing higher fines.

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
jem60

Re: Speeding drivers are facing higher fines.

Post by jem60 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:48 pm

Slogen. I agree, and do observe the speed limit in our villages. I just think that the idea of being 'shopped] by your neighbours is not a good one. It doesn't happen to me, so not really a concern of mine, but the principal is not a good one in my opinion.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:21 pm

To be honest my previous post has shown me to be a massive hypocrite!

I have been on a speed awareness course ( it was either that or three points) . It was a huge eye opener for me and i do now stick to the law and I save petrol at the same time.

( Although I am tested when Raptors are about to launch from Mildenhall!)

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 pm

I am sorry to say that there are creatures out there, who think they can drive just as they like, at the speed they like, wherever they like, at any time of day :(

I had better not rant on ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:28 pm

My Thoughts on this subject

Speeding in built up areas should be punished, it's got the highest risk of death injury, especially children, pedestrians etc... I'm all in favour of 20mph or lower limits around schools playground etc.. heck at School start/finish times drop the limit to 5mph.

On the open road - single carriageway it's still an offence but.... allowance should be made for the conditions, I'm not condoning travelling at 70,80,90 but being hit by a massive fine for being a few mph over is draconian.

I then move onto Motorways/ Dual carriageways, they're converting them to smart motorways why can the limit not be raised as well as lowered depending on conditions ? Cars are far more capable at stopping from higher speeds than when the 70mph limit was introduced. Call me a Cynic but it's all just a big cash cow.

Camera's are no subsitute for real life police, the static ones are just revenue generators as people just speed up again when they pass them.

I find it really strange how literally 2 weeks ago a number of the Police forces up here in the North East all announced we're increasing our fleet of camera van's. Then on Tuesday when the new fines came in the number of vans hiding on the A19 behind trees or in laybays just after a gentle bend was staggering. Obviously the coffers were a bit empty.

Speed doesn't kill, speed at inappropriate places/time & conditions is the bigger killer.

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:12 am

to be honest, 20mph around schools annoys me. what happened to hammering into kids the Green Cross Code etc? it was never this ridiculous when i was a kid, a big problem now seems that no one teaches kids to pay attention or leave their damn phones alone for 5 mins, especially around roads. instead of speed awareness courses they should have traffic awareness courses in schools.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:58 pm

Surely Wolfie, you must have learned by now that it is not the parents responsibility to teach their children ANYTHING. Not manners, good behaviour, social skills etc.,
This for other people to do, and if it all goes wrong, then it is someone else's fault, never theirs!!!!!! :S

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:56 am

Sorry to come back on this but the point of 20mph around schools is so that if a kid does make a mistake (cos we all know us drivers are perfect) then the kid doesn't pay for the 'mistake' with their lives.

Bizarrely , i actually enjoy driving at 30 in a 30 limit etc - it makes me feel i am doing my bit.

Speed is a thrill - join a track club and do it properly.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Tue May 02, 2017 3:20 pm

Well said, Mike :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Mon May 29, 2017 7:05 am

Slightly off topic but this on the BBC today. "Thousands of drivers caught despite mobile crackdown" http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40079382

Details of incidents reported by police:
A man doing his online banking while driving along the M5 motorway near Birmingham
Norfolk Police stopped a woman who was responding to a message about her lost puppy being found
A man using his phone while driving a 7.5-tonne lorry around a roundabout in Bournemouth

The worst one if you have children that use a School Bus!
A school minibus driver with 10 children on board in Manchester using his phone while driving

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:57 am

Not to mention a Policewoman in a Police car opening and eating a packaged sandwich whilst negotiating a large roundabout near Mildenhall. True. Seen by me!!
If we were honest, the majority of us have done stupid things in cars at times. If we haven't yet, there will come at time....... Choose the time and place wisely, and don't involve other people.!!!

AndrewBarclay

Post by AndrewBarclay » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:56 am

If they don't get you for speeding there are a few others available.
https://www.regit.cars/car-list/10-driv ... gn=regitAY

Return to “General Chat”