Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Joining the RAF

A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Military Aviation related. No Civilian Aviation content please. We would be grateful for such inclusions on our sister site - Civilian Aviation.
C24

Re: Joining the RAF

Post by C24 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:48 am

Sounds good :thumb:

I would like to echo Thunder. Suggest to The Lad that he finds a 2-300m sloping road/field do ten cycles of up & down, rest then repeat. Once a day for the first week, then twice there after. Aim to totally knacker himself each time. He will soon feel motivated.
As stated before. Best wishes :)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:20 am

I will. Just had date for interview through(11th April) & he was only sitting the AST this time yesterday

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:25 am

Update.
Passed his interview this morning :clap: ,now awaiting date for Medical/fitness test.

C24

Post by C24 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Of course he did! Never any doubt about it. ;)
C24.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:07 pm

C24 wrote:Of course he did! Never any doubt about it. ;)
Thanks

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 pm

Best of luck to all who join the Royal Air Force, I wish you nothing but the best of luck for your careers in the RAF, I unfortunately didn't but doesn't mean I can't wish the lucky people who actually do best wishes as well as best wishes to all those who are already Serving personnel.

Royal Air Force I salute you all.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Thu May 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Update. Had his Medical today(Captita). Failed because he used an inhaler between the ages of 2 & 4!! due to allergy to pet fur(no longer has & is now 19)/had tendons in his Toes operated on as causing a couple of Toes to curl(but he can still walk on tiptoes/heels & sides of feet as asked to do). They also require a dentist report(not sure how to resolve that one as living in Rural Wales no NHS dentists!!) & even though he went & had an eye test (on advice of RAF careers officer) & passed the colour blindness test at medical. He needs to take a form Capita will send him for the Opticians to fill in.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 pm

Can you clarify if it is a 'med fail' and no further progression, or a 'med fail on temp issues requiring action'.
If it is the latter, view it as a speed bump in the road to recruitment (I say this from a background with 2 tours in Recruitment, Trainee progression and Technical Training).
The Career office will be aware of this and note the response; if undertaken speedily and decisively, it will show commitment and dedication, and will count positively towards any further action.
Encourage him to remain positive, do as they have advised and maintain the impetus.
It's also worth informing the Careers Staff of progress made. The more they see of him working towards a goal....
All the very best
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

C24

Post by C24 » Fri May 26, 2017 5:59 am

Best wishes to him. Keep focused. Reheat offers sounds comment.
C24.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri May 26, 2017 7:34 am

reheat module wrote:Can you clarify if it is a 'med fail' and no further progression, or a 'med fail on temp issues requiring action'.
If it is the latter, view it as a speed bump in the road to recruitment (I say this from a background with 2 tours in Recruitment, Trainee progression and Technical Training).
The Career office will be aware of this and note the response; if undertaken speedily and decisively, it will show commitment and dedication, and will count positively towards any further action.
Encourage him to remain positive, do as they have advised and maintain the impetus.
It's also worth informing the Careers Staff of progress made. The more they see of him working towards a goal....
All the very best
Thanks for the reply. Yes it seems to be the latter, He feels disappointed & confused on why they want further info on the Pet allergy he last suffered from 15 years ago. Once he gets the forms through he will do as they ask. He will be speaking to the AFCO to update them. The only real issue that might take time to resolve is the Dentist report as no dentists in our area that are taking on NHS patients. He was with the Community Dentist while at School/6th Form, So will be speaking to them for any help/advise. Will update. Thanks again

scousefowler

Post by scousefowler » Mon May 29, 2017 8:02 am

Good luck to him!!!!
He who laughs last, laughs longest

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:43 pm

Make sure you pick the right trade before joining, as I've seen so many when I was in who were in the wrong one and unable to remuster!

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Good on him :) Let's hope this is the start for a future MRAF!

Return to “General Chat”