Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Royal International Air Tattoo 2015

A forum for us to update you on the latest articles and reports on the AeroResource website.
AeroResource

Post by AeroResource » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:28 pm

The Royal International Air Tattoo, better known as RIAT, has set its place as the pinnacle of the British airshow scene, especially given its long history of providing first looks at new types, debut displays by new operators and large set pieces to commemorate key aviation anniversaries. The 2015 edition of RIAT was to be no different and included at least one of each of these. Ben Montgomery and Michael Lovering provide this report from a generally hot and sunny Fairford.

TomG

Re: Royal International Air Tattoo 2015

Post by TomG » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 am

Perhaps a hastily compiled piece? Spitfire P3750? No mention of Swedish Gripen but did mention Czech & Hungarian. Japan Maritime Defines Force! Northop SF-5? A decent article let down by poor proofing folks.

AeroResource

Post by AeroResource » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:20 am

TomG wrote:Perhaps a hastily compiled piece? Spitfire P3750? No mention of Swedish Gripen but did mention Czech & Hungarian. Japan Maritime Defines Force! Northop SF-5? A decent article let down by poor proofing folks.
Thanks for the feedback Tom, duly amended.

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm also not sure where all this VX-51 stuff is coming from. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and as far as I know the Japanese do not use such terminology. I stand to be corrected if that is the case, but technically it is from 51 Kokutai, which is part of 31 Kokugun. Until reports relating to the two aircraft at RIAT I have never seen VX-51 mentioned.
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

Mark K
AeroResource Correspondent

Post by Mark K » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:23 pm

nellis6 wrote:I'm also not sure where all this VX-51 stuff is coming from. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and as far as I know the Japanese do not use such terminology. I stand to be corrected if that is the case, but technically it is from 51 Kokutai, which is part of 31 Kokugun. Until reports relating to the two aircraft at RIAT I have never seen VX-51 mentioned.
The unit marking of the 51st is a combination of the orange "V" and the yellow "X", so this can be read "VX" together. The 51st Kokutai is a test unit and a test unit is designated as "VX-" in the U.S.Navy.

Page 42 of Naval Helicopter Association magazine Rotor Review (Issue 104) talks about 51 Kokutai as VX-51: http://issuu.com/rotorrev/docs/rr104_digital/44

So I think VX-51 is not so much a Japanese designation but more of a US Navy/Rest of the world one.

Mark

nellis6

Post by nellis6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Mark K wrote:
nellis6 wrote:I'm also not sure where all this VX-51 stuff is coming from. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere and as far as I know the Japanese do not use such terminology. I stand to be corrected if that is the case, but technically it is from 51 Kokutai, which is part of 31 Kokugun. Until reports relating to the two aircraft at RIAT I have never seen VX-51 mentioned.
The unit marking of the 51st is a combination of the orange "V" and the yellow "X", so this can be read "VX" together. The 51st Kokutai is a test unit and a test unit is designated as "VX-" in the U.S.Navy.

Page 42 of Naval Helicopter Association magazine Rotor Review (Issue 104) talks about 51 Kokutai as VX-51: http://issuu.com/rotorrev/docs/rr104_digital/44

So I think VX-51 is not so much a Japanese designation but more of a US Navy/Rest of the world one.

Mark
Appreciate the source Mark, just doesn't seem or sound right saying it's from VX-51 rather than 51 Kokutai
Mike Green
Editor, Jetwash Aviation Photos
www.jetwashaviationphotos.com

Member, IFNM Press Agency
www.ifnm.org

Member, Canon Professional Services
www.canon.co.uk

TomG

Post by TomG » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:33 pm

In all of the pre-show planning with the unit they consistently referred to themselves as VX-51. Patches worn by the crew were marked "AIRDEVRON FIVE ONE".

Tom

Return to “AeroResource Articles”