Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Army Air Corps

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Kinloss here
Bragail

Army Air Corps

Post by Bragail » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:57 am

Rumour Control - I've heard through some ex-army friends a rumour is doing the rounds that Kinloss may be used by the Army Air Corps as a potential base in the future - it is just a rumour however. Has anyone else heard this or have any more info on the subject? Personally I think it's just speculation but it would be nice to have something flying out of Kinloss again in the future.

hogman

Re: Army Air Corps

Post by hogman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:07 am

REALLY wish this is true, would be fantastic to get some helo's based up here

I will keep an ear out and will post if I get anything

Cheers
Kevin

Bragail

Post by Bragail » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Many thanks Kevin

Trainman

Post by Trainman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:18 pm

I doubt any decisions have been made yet as to what the army are going to do with Kinloss.

Don't forget the army are to have Leuchars aswell

Les

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:47 pm

Yes there really should be some Army Air Corps Assets at both Kinloss and Leuchars.

Bragail

Post by Bragail » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:49 pm

Fingers and toes crossed......!

hogman

Post by hogman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Just thinking out loud, but if the AAC did move into Kinloss where would they exercise and which range would they use - Tain?

Trainman

Post by Trainman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:50 pm

hogman wrote:Just thinking out loud, but if the AAC did move into Kinloss where would they exercise and which range would they use - Tain?
Hogman, Don't know if you've ever been up in this neck of the country but there's the whole of the north of Scotland for them to play in.

Les

hogman

Post by hogman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Yeah I live up here lol

No what I meant really is there a "Danger Area" locally where troops could do exercises and pre-deployment training where the helos could participate - dont think there is, is there?

Need something like the SPTA up here

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:13 pm

Heard this rumour/information about 6 months back then again from a different source about 3 months ago, but as said above take it with a pinch of salt for the time being. There are various Training Areas in the area at but none that you could compare with SPTA/Otterburn/Warcop etc etc..... however the whole of the Highlands are open to low flying so would suit the AAC fine.

Heidfirst

Post by Heidfirst » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 am

hogman wrote: No what I meant really is there a "Danger Area" locally where troops could do exercises and pre-deployment training where the helos could participate - dont think there is, is there?
the Army has very good relations with many of the major landowners in Scotland - getting permission to use land for exercises isn't usually a problem (except perhaps around stalking season).

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:11 am

Hi all,
I have a memory of reading something that was put up on the net around SDSR time that went a little something like this!

Kinloss as has happened already.

Lossie was to wind down within a couple of years but remain as an active airfield.

Leuchars was not mentioned to begin with.

As we now know, this has all changed so i can see the governments logic changing and putting the all of Scotlands main flying units at Lossie!!! :whistle:

Having picked up a few bits of info here and there, juggled it around my head and stripped out the chaff, i dont think we will see AAC assets based up here but there has to be TDYs. I have recently read that Dishforth is to close but i think that is linked to the draw down of the Lynx AH7 fleet than anything else. The Lynx AH9 should be round for a while but who will operate that, i dont know as the Marines seem have some of them just now. As for Wildcat, well that was mentioned with Yeovilton but was it being based or operations centred on? Looking at Typhoons future, ops centred on Coningsby with another base at Lossie, Tornado centred on Marham with training unit at Lossie. Using that logic we could have AAC up here, Wildcat ops centred on Yeovilton with a base in Scotland?

The futures bright, the futures Typhoon and rotors!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.

hogman

Post by hogman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:55 am

Just heard back from a couple of friends, no word on AAC moving to Kinloss, so I guess we will have to wait and see.

Return to “RAF Kinloss”