Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

A sad day

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Kinloss here
toom317

A sad day

Post by toom317 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:42 am

Well that's it, Kinloss is no longer a flying station from today. I spent 2 1/2 years posted there back in the 80's, and numerous trips up to catch various exercises since then. It was more like a social club with a runway, than an RAF base, and the Findhorn Bay end was a great place to get pics when the wind was in your favour. Thank God Lossie is still on the go. :(
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Mike

Re: A sad day

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:01 pm

Farewell RAF Kinloss and thankyou for all the wonderful memories you have given me over the last 30/35 years, you shall be missed dearly. :'(
This season, I'll be mostly wearing........A THONG!

typhoon4

Post by typhoon4 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:15 pm

Here, here well said, and best wishes to all !

onemac

Post by onemac » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Took a wander out earlier today - spooky to see it so deserted. It was not much better at the CQWI exercise a couple of weeks ago. Sad day for me.

Al

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Sad day indeed, can't believe that's the end of flying from Kinloss it didn't even get the farewell it deserved. Probably the most scenic base in the UK and all those great a/c that have been based and passed through over the years now consigned to history. Spent many a day on the base at VASS, and when I get time I will post up some pictures taken over the years.

At least they can't take our memories

Macc

Post by Macc » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 pm

I think it's time we got a tribute going for Kinloss. Look in the nostalgia forum in a few minutes and get posting! Such a sad day.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:42 pm

Even though I only visited Kinloss about 3 or 4 times en route to Lossie - one of the times was actually a sort of Base Tour with a tour of an MR.2 included this really makes me sad. As Thunder rightly says the one thing (and eventually it'll sadly be the same with Leuchars) the one thing they can't take away is our memories of the Aircraft we saw at the base, for me it will aways be the based Nimrods and Canberras which always seemed to be there.

Watcher

Post by Watcher » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Sad day indeed, as it was for me down here when RAF Gaydon closed...RAF Abingdon closed...Upper Heyford closed...Fairford stopped being a tanker base...And now RAF Lyneham's closing next year. All bases in my neck of the woods (Gaydon was a few miles up the road and fantastic Heyford a few miles down the road). So, I know exactly how you feel. But time, technology and everything, all moves on.
But at least when smiley King Salmond wins (depending on how you look at it) apparently "all but inevitable" independence for you lot up there then all closed Scottish air bases will surely need to be reopened, with maybe even one or two new ones built, like proposed/dreamt ScAF Cuckoo Land? Can't see where else King Salmond's gonna put his big new air force.
Meanwhile, I can fantasise all I like but all those air bases near me aren't gonna open again.:( As I said, know exactly how you chaps feel.
--------SBS & PP+Mlat user--------
ImageImage
http://www.biased-bbc.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another form of extremism is extreme tolerance.

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 pm

Watcher wrote: But at least when smiley King Salmond wins (depending on how you look at it) apparently "all but inevitable" independence for you lot up there then all closed Scottish air bases will surely need to be reopened, with maybe even one or two new ones built, like proposed/dreamt ScAF Cuckoo Land? Can't see where else King Salmond's gonna put his big new air force.
I don't know what planet you occupy, but it's clearly not the same one as most of us in Scotland. Independence is far from inevitable - in fact I've spoken to very few people who favour it - Salmond is a power-crazed idiot at best whose downfall is not a case of "if" but "when".

Scamp64

Post by Scamp64 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm

This is an aviation site. If you want to conduct 'politics' go somewhere else!

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:33 pm

I beg your pardon, you seem to have appointed yourself a moderator :P

I'm well aware of the nature of this forum having been a member for some time :grr:

Watcher

Post by Watcher » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:20 am

Scamp64 wrote:This is an aviation site. If you want to conduct 'politics' go somewhere else!
:lol: Sod off yerself! But before you do take a better look around the place and see how many others you could've tried getting so pathetically all high and mighty with, DAD!
HighlandSniper wrote:
Watcher wrote: I don't know what planet you occupy, but it's clearly not the same one as most of us in Scotland. Independence is far from inevitable - in fact I've spoken to very few people who favour it - Salmond is a power-crazed idiot at best whose downfall is not a case of "if" but "when".
Posted that nearly a fortnight ago now, HighlandSniper, and was quite obviously taking the piddle, or as you might say the wee wee. :D Members equally aware of Salmond's Scottish defence forces fantasies joked with me about it afterwards via PMs.

I couldn't be happier you're no fan of the moon faced grinning splitter. Nor am I!
--------SBS & PP+Mlat user--------
ImageImage
http://www.biased-bbc.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Another form of extremism is extreme tolerance.

Scamp64

Post by Scamp64 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:27 pm

Highland sniper...........joke...boy

HighlandSniper

Post by HighlandSniper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Oh ... ... ... ha-ha-ha, spitting my sides at your incredible humour. So subtle that no-one else understands it. Never mind, once you've been around FC a while we may - just may - start to interpret the subtleties, but I'm not holding my breath.

In the meantime :P

BTW what gives you the right to address me as "boy"? :grr:

Scamp64

Post by Scamp64 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:25 pm

Easy on the 'boy' thing.......you are

onemac

Post by onemac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:25 am

Scamp64 wrote:This is an aviation site.
Check THIS out then......

I quote:
"A place to chat and discuss everything and anything thats NOT Aviation related".
Scamp64 wrote:If you want to conduct 'politics' go somewhere else!
Really? You must be infuriated that the mods allow THIS to continue then?

This thread is not 'conducting' politics, it's about discussing the feelings of those who perhaps are affected at the removal of Kinloss as an active military airfield brought about as a direct result of politics. Something that will happen to Leuchars in a few years. Ironic twist eh?

Al

Scamp64

Post by Scamp64 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Yes indeed it is a sad day for kinloss and shortly Leuchars too. The politicians have made a mess of the SDSR. England,Scotland,WAles & NI. Soon only 2? Typhoon bases and 1 Tornado base plus 1 Transport hub. Fox has done to the RAF what Beecham did to the railways........but still you guys must be con/lib dem fans

onemac

Post by onemac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Scamp64 wrote:Fox has done to the RAF what Beecham did to the railways........but still you guys must be con/lib dem fans
*sigh*

Troll.

Al

np1991

Post by np1991 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Scamp64 wrote:Yes indeed it is a sad day for kinloss and shortly Leuchars too. The politicians have made a mess of the SDSR. England,Scotland,WAles & NI. Soon only 2? Typhoon bases and 1 Tornado base plus 1 Transport hub. Fox has done to the RAF what Beecham did to the railways........but still you guys must be con/lib dem fans

Think you'l find Moray is SNP :P
Cheers Niall

Nikon D7200
Nikon 70-200mm f2.8
Nikon 300mm f2.8
Nikon 18-140mm

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59398793@N03/

retro11

Post by retro11 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:34 pm

And that was that...... (Tower 4MK finals gear down full stop) . http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-18991618" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “RAF Kinloss”