Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Night flying April 2017

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lossiemouth here
scimitar

Night flying April 2017

Post by scimitar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:16 pm

Post on the base Facebook page indicates that night flying by Typhoons will take place in April in readiness for their high tempo exercise and operational commitment through 2017.

Andrew
Canon EOS1200D
Canon 18-55mm
Tamron 70-300mm
Tamron 150-600mm

Lewis MacRae

Re: Night flying April 2017

Post by Lewis MacRae » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Could make for some interesting photo opportunities!

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:41 pm

Could do - though my previous experience of night-time Typhoon launches at Lossie wasn't too hot. They didn't use 'burners on departure (and I'd imagine the same will hold this time for noise abatement at night) and there wasn't much in the way of runway/aircraft lighting to add interest. I reckon you could probably get some good shots, but it will likely be a bit tougher than with something hot and bright like the Tornado :)

Lewis MacRae

Post by Lewis MacRae » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Hopefully, I've got an Idea for a shot, but not sure f it would work.

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:17 pm

Be interested to see how it turns out! If I remember correctly, along with some high ISO taxiing shots I tried a long exposure when they returned late at night to try and catch strobe trails making a line along the runway. I set the exposure a bit too short though and the lights weren't in quite the right place in the shot so it didn't work quite as intended, but I reckon it would be worth trying again. Will keep an eye out for yours if you make it :)

Lewis MacRae

Post by Lewis MacRae » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm hoping for some taxi shots if its not to dark, and if they hold! Where did you shoot your Light trial from? Want them head on, but cant decide 10,202 or the very bottom.(or top if Runway 05)

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:57 pm

From memory - I do have a few photos from it, but I'm not sure where - the Typhoons taxied out from Alpha or Bravo to the end of 23 and they held briefly. I was shooting from the parking area looking across to the tower, so most of the base in the background of my shots was in darkness and as the Typhoons only turned on the lights around the gear when they moved on to the runway there wasn't much illumination on them either. I tried for a light trail when they returned from the same position, but because they came in relatively high and without too much light and I was trying something like a 15-20 second exposure I didn't get much of the trail in shot. If I was doing it again, I'd maybe try for a light trail shot of them taking off rather than landing, as they're a bit more illuminated, they take a little bit longer to get further down the runway and I think it would be easier to get timing right. Not sure on position - I don't think the parking area at 23 was the best angle, and maybe one of the fence points would have been better?

I think one of the best light trail shots I've seen from Lossie was one of Niall's (?) looking across to Delta from down near the pillbox with a pair of Tornados departing - the first has lit its burners and is away and the other is just getting set to go, so you get great light trail going away and the other Tornado well-lit. Not one that will be repeated, unless they start letting the Typhoons do pair performance departures at night!

Lewis MacRae

Post by Lewis MacRae » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Ah yes, Seen that one. Its a belter! I was thinking of the 'normal' taxi shots and then hopefully try something a bit different! Will be a lot of trial and error though! Of for two weeks from thursday, so will be getting some sort of night flying image!

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:56 am

Having just seen some of the night flying footage from yesterday on Facebook it looks as though I was wrong and they are using 'burners - you might well get some more lively departure shots, Lewis!

Return to “RAF Lossiemouth”