Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

XV(R) Squadron Tour/Flypast detailed...

Please post movements and activities to do with RAF Lossiemouth here
davidn

Re: XV(R) Squadron Tour/Flypast detailed...

Post by davidn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:39 pm

Well that was alright & good to see loads of folk down to wave them off.
Last edited by davidn on Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:56 pm

ringo747 wrote:Out of curiosity do they ever use 28 much for the departures assuming 23 is also available? Quite a taxi out from the XV line I assume.
If 23 is available then 23 is what they'll use. The only exception would be if an emergency has blocked the rw, or if there is a funeral service taking part in Lossiemouth and the family have requested a noise restriction. Likewise during the school exam periods they avoid over or near to Gordonstoun.

Ross Forsyth

Post by Ross Forsyth » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:40 pm

davidn wrote:- although seems like a bit of a lens waving / peeing up a wall competition going on. Made me feel quite inadequate with my wee thing :(
Using what you can afford is what photography is all about,being most peoples hobby they will try and save and get the best they can if that makes it a lens waving/peeing up a wall competition and bothers you
i`d suggest staying away from airshows,exercises and any other form of photography.

davidn

Post by davidn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:45 pm

Blimey, I was only kidding.

Suitably edited so's not to cause anyone any offence.

expedestrian

Post by expedestrian » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:40 pm

davidn wrote:Blimey, I was only kidding.

Have to agree with your unedited post davidn - I thought there was an atmosphere there today as well :(

davidn

Post by davidn » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:23 pm

As the humourless one suggests, maybe we should both stay away from 'airshows,exercises and any other form of photography' expedestrian :lol:

Aye, right.

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:26 pm

expedestrian wrote:
davidn wrote:Blimey, I was only kidding.

Have to agree with your unedited post davidn - I thought there was an atmosphere there today as well :(
Sounds 'interesting' mate, care to share?
I'm up there for the first week of JW including the flyby and would like to know your feelings please?
Cheers
Dave

onemac

Post by onemac » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:52 pm

I wouldn't worry Dave, the locals are friendly (with the usual exceptions of course). The atmosphere that may have been detected would have been due to the inconsiderate parking and blocking of tracks used by the greenkeepers - visitors tend to see cars abandoned and join the throng and as usual it's the locals that bear the ill feelings of the golf club. There are many visitors and locals with expensive lenses and it's not an issue but don't use your i-Phone for taking pics as you may hear some rude words and much laughing ;)

Al

PS - that last bit is a joke. it's just that if I don't mention it it will be taken the wrong way despite the winking smilie :Wow:

Nnthusiast

Post by Nnthusiast » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Lol, I love the locals, and couldn't say a bad word against them if I tried.
Always been helpful towards me, giving advice , help, even sharing biscuits with me during chatting etc.
I hold you guys n the highest regards, so much so that I shall have plenty of biscuits to share with you guys if you see a fat 52 year old with canon gear and a blue Honda CR-V there. Be my absolute pleasure.

I know what you mean by parking, and I've parked in areas in the hedge on the lane by the golf course ( fence line) but I've never blocked anywhere and always helped others with info from my scanner etc if I can.
No doubt its a great hobby, and one where you meet the nicest of people, and I'm looking forward to meeting some of my mates from last year again.

Just need the Poles to confirm the 5 x Su22's they mentioned last week in rumor control to go with the F-18's teehee ;)
Cheers
Dave

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:02 pm

Weather and my daft decision to make for the other end of the airfield for the flypasts aside, that was a good day. Nice to be properly introduced to a couple of guys from here - Niall and Hugh - and to chat with the other visitors and locals.

Highlight of the day was probably the very determined crew of 079 who just weren't prepared to miss out on the action, persisting through two false starts before getting airborne and chasing after the other four aircraft - and then performing what seemed (from 202! :) ) to be a very low attack by the tower before breaking over the top of the crowds at 23. Hopefully there will still be enough aircraft at Lossie (or visitors brought in) for something similar on the 31st, hopefully with a bit better weather!

ST1976

Post by ST1976 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:43 pm

1st post and it'a a tad behind the time curve - only just got my registration authed.

Was lucky to be in the vicinity when the final flyby occurred and grabbed a few little vids with my point & click. These are stills from those vids:-

1st Pair

2nd pair

Singleton

Steve T

:cool:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

toom317

Post by toom317 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi Steve, and welcome. Where were you to get these? I am hoping to get up for the one next week, and that looks like the general area I was thinking of going, (the junction on the Hopeman road that goes down to Gordonstoun). It may not be super duper close up to the action, but it gives a good overall picture of the event.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

ST1976

Post by ST1976 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:48 pm

You got the location spot on. :thumb:
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

toom317

Post by toom317 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks. :thumb:
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

stavid

Post by stavid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:46 pm

Hi all. Any advice on the likely runway to be used for departures tomorrow.? Last forecast I saw showed winds coming from S/SE. I know it probably won't be the best viewpoint for mock attacks but I felt I'd rather enjoy the smell/racket one last time. Best Regards.
Stevie.

ringo747

Post by ringo747 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Are there more flypasts tomorrow or are you just late to the party stavid?

CosmonautX

Post by CosmonautX » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm

There's a NOTAM out for tomorrow for flypasts/mock attacks too - the first set were to mark the last day of flying ops, and this set are for the formal disbandment.

stavid

Post by stavid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:53 pm

CosmonautX wrote:There's a NOTAM out for tomorrow for flypasts/mock attacks too - the first set were to mark the last day of flying ops, and this set are for the formal disbandment.

Thank God for that. Had tomorrow booked off work for ages. :O
Stevie.

ringo747

Post by ringo747 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:00 pm

Ah nice, enjoy it!

stavid

Post by stavid » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:08 pm

ringo747 wrote:Are there more flypasts tomorrow or are you just late to the party stavid?
Don't be saying things like that ringo747. I near choked thinking I'd misread earlier posts. :O

Return to “RAF Lossiemouth”